Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by jhford » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 am

jhford wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 am
djp952 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:44 pm
jhford wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 pm

I probably didn't make myself clear. The previous structure allowed the user to right click one of many news folders, such as Jake Tapper (CNN), select delete and delete all Jake Tapper episodes in one shot-- very convenient and a huge time saver. I bragged to my wife that your organization was brilliant even though she has no time or interest in Kodi. :roll: Now, however, the user must open the "news' folder and delete selected episodes which are organized by date, it seems, rather than alpha -- very inconvenient and a huge time waster.
Once again, you are barking up the wrong tree. I didn't add the "News" folder, SiliconDust or perhaps the EPG data provider did. All I did was make it so it wouldn't say "news" in lowercase and instead say "News". Install the new v2.2.1, set "Disable specialized Recorded TV category folders" in the options, and all recordings will appear as if they were reported as "series" which will let you right-click and delete all of them at once like you prefer. I like that option in Kodi as well.

The organization/sort order you see is determined by Kodi, you have to pop open the menu to the left and select the order you want for each individual Recorded TV folder. If you want it sorted by date or alphanumeric is something that is completely up to you to decide. If that setting doesn't stick, it's something that Kodi needs to fix. I do not specify any ordering at all when reporting Recordings, I just give Kodi the list and it does what it does with them.

I apologize if I come off as a little frustrated right now, but frankly I am. I do what I can with what I'm given here and bust my a** to make everyone happy. I have zero control over the data coming into the PVR, all I can do is try to present it to you in a way that is as consistent and useful as possible from both the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DVR service and Kodi perspectives. If SD added a "news" category to their recordings I have to assume this was intentional on their part and they will at some point add a "News" filter in their application. I could of course ignore "news" and pretend it's "series" whilst leaving "movies", "specials" and "sports" alone but there may be people out there that actually want to see "news". FWIW SD's app doesn't handle "specials" either (you can only find them in the "All Recordings" area; try it) -- does that mean I should arbitrarily convert that category to "series" too? What about new categories that magically pop up that would benefit most folks but a few don't like it? If SD releases an application update that adds "News" and "Specials" does that mean I need to undo the hypothetical changes?

I'm clearly very perturbed at this point so I need to stop typing. I spent hours prepping and cutting a build specifically for you, I would have hoped that you would have tried it and see if the new option addressed your complaint, which I think it will. If it does not, let me know, but saying that things I have absolutely no control over are "inconvenient and a time waster" is just going to make me upset again. I bend over backwards to keep this thing working and try come up with ways to do everything everyone asks for, so, yeah, definitely perturbed.

I'm taking the weekend off. I'll check back on Monday or Tuesday night. Until then please see if v2.2.1 does what you want it to do.
My sincere apologies. I certainly didn't mean to be critical or piss you off. I was just trying to add some helpful feedback, and apparently failed. Worse yet I forgot that you did previously say that the "news" folder was added by Siliconedust, and I probably would have kept my mouth shut if I had remembered that significant detail. And I do appreciate what you do, and I'm sure you do bust your a**. Thanks for 2.2.1. I'll install it today.
Again, I'm sorry.
2.2.1 is installed and it's absolutely perfect, from my POV, of course. I hope everyone else agrees. I can't thank you enough. :P

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:10 pm

All good my friend. I would also like to apologize to you and the other forum members for my uncharacteristic overreaction/misinterpretation of the commentary as well. Some days this pro-bono project of mine just gets to be too much extra after a long week of "real work" I guess :mrgreen:

I'm very glad the new option seems to meet your current needs, and I look forward to doing what I can to adapt the future changes made to this ecosystem we all know and love to continue to meet those needs. Thank you very much for the clarifications, I will definitely sleep better tonight!

:D

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Update from the weekend I have been "taking off" (as if, right?):

I think I need to roll back or alter the v2.2.1 change that 'improved' the channel group names; I didn't consider the new Leia EPG UI that places the group names into tabs at the top. The new descriptions are too long and should have stayed simpler like "HD Channels" instead of "High-definition channels". Sorry about that. An alternative approach is to simplify the improved names to remove the word 'channels', which is arguably redundant text. So what was "HD Channels" and became "High Definition channels" in v2.2.1 would become "High Definition". On the fence about which way to go.

I also finally took the time to try and handle a long-standing TODO (backlog item) to improve performance of backend queries other than EPG, which is already custom, if multiple URLs need to be loaded like with the Recording Rules Episodes query. Unfortunately SQLite doesn't really work that way and would ultimately serialize the HTTP requests, thus adding no value over what is in there. I could change the existing implementation to handle multiple URLs by concatenating them into a single delimited string, but the risk vs. reward just isn't there. I'm giving up on this one, nobody has ever complained about it and saving what would amount to an undetectable amount of time isn't work breaking things.

I hope that other than my ill-advised decision to change the channel group names that v2.2.1 is working well for everyone thus far.

jhford

Post by jhford » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:28 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:10 pm
All good my friend. I would also like to apologize to you and the other forum members for my uncharacteristic overreaction/misinterpretation of the commentary as well. Some days this pro-bono project of mine just gets to be too much extra after a long week of "real work" I guess :mrgreen:

I'm very glad the new option seems to meet your current needs, and I look forward to doing what I can to adapt the future changes made to this ecosystem we all know and love to continue to meet those needs. Thank you very much for the clarifications, I will definitely sleep better tonight!

I hope this means that we have "kissed and made up." :D
Having played with 2.2.1 a bit I have a another suggestion. There was nothing inherently wrong with the 2.2.0 recordings folder / file structure, and its new "news" folder was fine except for the absence of sub-folders bearing the name of each news show, such as "All in with Chris Hays." IMHO. In other words, the contents of "news" was jumble of "news" files which were very hard to work with (dangling participle :shock: ). And I don't know if its even possible to organize the "news" folder, accordingly.
Thanks again

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:32 pm

I was going to ask that too... prior to djp952's post that sounded like he was a little upset, I also began to write a similar post as his prior mentioning that such already stated of where such was coming from... Since "all" my channels (non-locals) are DRM, I rarely use kodi anymore (I did more prior to getting playing of live DRM content in the official apps, as I even liked the official add-on in kodi better than the other platforms). But figured I had to update and actually look at what was being mentioned. So prior to posting, I found some local news programs to record to make sure I had some (which was tricky as it wasn't the local news hour). I uninstalled my very old version of kodi and wiped any data. Picked up the new one. Installed djp952's unofficial pvr. And looked at it... didn't mind it but thought I would check some things out and ended up ungrouping. I then spent 30-40 minutes trying to regroup them because as soon as I brought up the menu to make such a selection any attempt to make a selection to choose how to group closed the menu prior to allowing the choice being selected. By that time djp posted the reply and I thought what I wrote wouldn't make sense. Needless to say, I didn't want to go back to that group button again so never did look into it. (Was using "default" skin from new download of leia, I know in the past many apps behaved differently with different skins so I want to assume that was the issue)

My personal preference is to keep such, but I also prefer every show listed as its own group in addition to the subgroups (for me, this would include movies but for many it wouldn't). It also appears that the official app, only uses Movies and Sports for such breakdown (not News) so it can be kind of "alien" for those coming here from that.

It's been too long since I have looked at the data (I now only have 20 days to do any of my own work before I get called back to work again) but I remember seeing lots more possibilities of what to group by in my own apps. Unfortunately what I was looking for doesn't seem to be "saved" by the DVR in the metadata (wasn't presented so I went into 100 files themselves to double check) as they seem to only be available for guide listings under "Filter"

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:36 pm

jhford wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:28 pm
djp952 wrote:

Having played with 2.2.1 a bit I have a another suggestion. There was nothing inherently wrong with the 2.2.0 recordings folder / file structure, and its new "news" folder was fine except for the absence of sub-folders bearing the name of each news show, such as "All in with Chris Hays." IMHO. In other words, the contents of "news" was jumble of "news" files which were very hard to work with (dangling participle :shock: ). And I don't know if its even possible to organize the "news" folder, accordingly.
Thanks again
I would prefer "hugged it out - but in a manly way", but that works too. Hey, it's 2019, right? :mrgreen:

I understand what you're saying here. The problem I have there is that there are (currently) five Recorded TV categories that I am aware of:
  • Movies
  • News
  • Series
  • Specials
  • Sporting Events
Before SD removed the "DisplayGroupTitle" attribute from the recording metadata it was easy; just stick everything into a folder that was named from that "DisplayGroupTitle" (and AFAIK everyone was happy with that). Without that attribute I now only have the "Category" attribute to work with. So here's the current logic:

- If it's "Series" use the series name as the folder name
- If it's anything else create a folder based on the category name (Mapping that name if it's known, like "news" to "News") and dump everything in there

Not that this can't be changed, of course, but the current logic doesn't allow for a generation of a tree deeper than 2 nodes. It's always {FOLDER}\{EPISODE}. So what's happened with "News" is that everything becomes News\{Episode}. This makes sense for "Movies", "Specials", and maybe "Sporting Events" -- you wouldn't want to have to drill down another level to always find exactly one item.

So here's what I'm thinking right now -- two options:

Option 1: Arbitrarily treat "news" as if it were "series". This may be a little short-sighted since new categories can pop up anytime on us, but I do agree with you that "News" is much more like "Series" than the other known categories. I'm not feeling a configurable option in the PVR here, I think this would be best served as a judgement call to overcome an external change that we collectively feel was ill-advised and needs to be ignored.

Option 2: If there is more than one recording in a particular Category with a matching series name, create a subfolder for those recordings, with the exception of "series" categories. This is harder to make happen, and perhaps a bit less intuitive for the user since the rules may change on them when they hit a single recording. Recordings that are unique, like Movies or Specials, would end up loose in that top-level "Movies" or "Specials" folder, but if you have multiple recordings with the same series name, aka "News", create a folder and put them all in there. The downside I see here is that when you get down to just one recording for that series, the subfolder won't be created.

Let me try to illustrate how Option 2 might look:

More than one "News" recording for a single series layout:

{Recorded TV}\News\11 News at 11\{Episode xxxx}

Just one "News" recording for a single series layout:

{Recorded TV}\News\{Episode xxxx}

After typing that out, I think I would be more on board with option one -- arbitrarily convert "news" to "series" and deal with new similar categories as they come.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:56 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:32 pm
I was going to ask that too... prior to djp952's post that sounded like he was a little upset, I also began to write a similar post as his prior mentioning that such already stated of where such was coming from... Since "all" my channels (non-locals) are DRM, I rarely use kodi anymore (I did more prior to getting playing of live DRM content in the official apps, as I even liked the official add-on in kodi better than the other platforms). But figured I had to update and actually look at what was being mentioned. So prior to posting, I found some local news programs to record to make sure I had some (which was tricky as it wasn't the local news hour). I uninstalled my very old version of kodi and wiped any data. Picked up the new one. Installed djp952's unofficial pvr. And looked at it... didn't mind it but thought I would check some things out and ended up ungrouping. I then spent 30-40 minutes trying to regroup them because as soon as I brought up the menu to make such a selection any attempt to make a selection to choose how to group closed the menu prior to allowing the choice being selected. By that time djp posted the reply and I thought what I wrote wouldn't make sense. Needless to say, I didn't want to go back to that group button again so never did look into it. (Was using "default" skin from new download of leia, I know in the past many apps behaved differently with different skins so I want to assume that was the issue)

My personal preference is to keep such, but I also prefer every show listed as its own group in addition to the subgroups (for me, this would include movies but for many it wouldn't). It also appears that the official app, only uses Movies and Sports for such breakdown (not News) so it can be kind of "alien" for those coming here from that.

It's been too long since I have looked at the data (I now only have 20 days to do any of my own work before I get called back to work again) but I remember seeing lots more possibilities of what to group by in my own apps. Unfortunately what I was looking for doesn't seem to be "saved" by the DVR in the metadata (wasn't presented so I went into 100 files themselves to double check) as they seem to only be available for guide listings under "Filter"
I think this makes a second vote to treating "News" as "Series"? What are you thoughts/feelings on doing the same for "Specials"? I definitely think Movies is best served without any sub-folders since they would always only contain one item. I have no real opinion with "Sporting Events" since I never record any.

Hmmm... maybe a viable third option might be to treat everything as if it were "Series" by default unless it matches a known category list? The current list to treat differently could be just "Movies" and "Sporting Events", which should match the behavior from when "DisplayGroupName" existed.

Your opinion is also appreciated.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:35 pm

As many here will attest, what I like isn't "normal" but I still often believe is best. I still don't want my "viewer" to schedule/manage... use better tools for the job and not detract from enjoying watching the show when it comes time to watch... I've often said I don't even want a UI on the screen that is playing the show (other than an indication that one hit FF or RW or pause that gets controlled by an outside source). For years I've even wanted to get rid of closed captions on screen and display them on an alternate device (i.e. a display bar with a 2 inch high by 24+ inch wide screen or even a tablet).

I do believe movies and sports probably should go in their own category (though I personally like them "additionally" as a series) as I know many would not want their movies cluttering up the series, but even sports you would have NFL, MLB, NCAA Football, NCAA Men's Basketball, etc., which for some probably need a second level of grouping if they archive such, my personal preference is only watch sports live or occasionally a day or two later and is the only thing I don't archive forever so would personally not often come across multiple series in sports as all shows would be visible at once... I just know I'm not going to touch that group button again until someone says it will actually work). For 90% of my recording I still need to use WMC so don't have a lot to base it off of (recording just Comet and H&I mainly outside of WMC).

In thinking about it, If multiple groups are possible, I would like an All option with each title as a group, in addition to Series, Movies, Sports, etc., as the main groups with each title as a group in All, then maybe an option to not have Series display as a separate group but display them in "main" like you currently do... I know many would probably like the option of Season within each title. Also for your "option 2" rather than having single stragglers on main, if any title has multiple episodes one must also select title prior to seeing episode.

I do believe you should code to accommodate any possible category in the future though it sounds like you may be leaning to doing it SD's way (much easier).

jhford

Post by jhford » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:41 pm

djp952 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:36 pm
jhford wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:28 pm
djp952 wrote:

Thanks again
I would prefer "hugged it out - but in a manly way", but that works too. Hey, it's 2019, right? :mrgreen:

I understand what you're saying here. The problem I have there is that there are (currently) five Recorded TV categories that I am aware of:
  • Movies
  • News
  • Series
  • Specials
  • Sporting Events
Before SD removed the "DisplayGroupTitle" attribute from the recording metadata it was easy; just stick everything into a folder that was named from that "DisplayGroupTitle" (and AFAIK everyone was happy with that). Without that attribute I now only have the "Category" attribute to work with. So here's the current logic:

- If it's "Series" use the series name as the folder name
- If it's anything else create a folder based on the category name (Mapping that name if it's known, like "news" to "News") and dump everything in there

Not that this can't be changed, of course, but the current logic doesn't allow for a generation of a tree deeper than 2 nodes. It's always {FOLDER}\{EPISODE}. So what's happened with "News" is that everything becomes News\{Episode}. This makes sense for "Movies", "Specials", and maybe "Sporting Events" -- you wouldn't want to have to drill down another level to always find exactly one item.

So here's what I'm thinking right now -- two options:

Option 1: Arbitrarily treat "news" as if it were "series". This may be a little short-sighted since new categories can pop up anytime on us, but I do agree with you that "News" is much more like "Series" than the other known categories. I'm not feeling a configurable option in the PVR here, I think this would be best served as a judgement call to overcome an external change that we collectively feel was ill-advised and needs to be ignored.

Option 2: If there is more than one recording in a particular Category with a matching series name, create a subfolder for those recordings, with the exception of "series" categories. This is harder to make happen, and perhaps a bit less intuitive for the user since the rules may change on them when they hit a single recording. Recordings that are unique, like Movies or Specials, would end up loose in that top-level "Movies" or "Specials" folder, but if you have multiple recordings with the same series name, aka "News", create a folder and put them all in there. The downside I see here is that when you get down to just one recording for that series, the subfolder won't be created.

Let me try to illustrate how Option 2 might look:

More than one "News" recording for a single series layout:

Just one "News" recording for a single series layout:

{Recorded TV}\News\{Episode xxxx}

After typing that out, I think I would be more on board with option one -- arbitrarily convert "news" to "series" and deal with new similar categories as they come.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
You're the boss, hug-mate. :oops: But it seems Option One might be an improvement.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:34 pm

jhford wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:41 pm
You're the boss, hug-mate. :oops: But it seems Option One might be an improvement.
I have come around to your line of thinking on this matter and will be making a change to treat everything but "Movies" and "Sporting Events" as if they were "Series". The HDHomeRun DVR engine does not currently place anything else into sub-directories, so it turns out Edit Decision List (EDL) support is also broken for "Specials" and "News". Annoyance coupled with a broken feature is more than enough to make me change my mind :)