Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
crzipilot

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by crzipilot »

So I went back and uninstalled everything. stopped all versions of the dvr engine etc. reinstalled the spk, reinstalled the PC app, the one that lets you watch on the computer. ssh and set all the parameters on the first page. So now it won't record anything. It shows recording when I click on the red button. but no files are saved anywhere.
Last edited by crzipilot on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

crzipilot wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 am So I went back and uninstalled everything. stopped all versions of the dvr engine etc. reinstalled the spk, reinstalled the PC app. ssh and set all the parameters on the first page. So now it won't record anything. It shows recording when I click on the red button. but no files are saved anywhere.
What does the UI status bar say?
What's in the log file?
have you run the diagnostics?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

crzipilot wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:19 am Anyways recordings were being done on local PC. When I uploaded 7.3 to synology, it found all the dvr's etc. I ftp'd all the recordings and logs from computer to the synology HDHomerunDVR folder. I stopped the HDhomerun package on synology, restarted it , and checked the settings recording paths etc, and all seemed well. I can not see any of the recorded shows I ftp'd over. (looking at ownership, the files are all 777 but says admin owns it, could this be a problem.)
If they're 777 they should be ok.
Make sure folders are 777 too.. If http user doesn't have access to folders it may be an issue.
You may have to add ACLs - see 'How to expose the default RecordPath as a share (or even just see it in FileStation)' back in this post
I attempted to record current running shows, and it records them and shows up on the synology dashboard of recorded shows. But for the life of me I can't find where those files are located. There isn't a new folder made in the hdhomerundvr folder, so not sure where the shows are getting saved to.
That's an issue - you should see them in the RecordPath
How are you checking? If Filestation, you may need to adjust permissions so your user viewing can access the new folders from http user.
If the new recordings are available on the viewer and the old ones not.. then something is up with the record engine access the folders, and your user seeing the new ones.

crzipilot

Post by crzipilot »

Sorry, kept tinkering with it. I wasn't getting any log files or anything. Couldn't see anything new come up.

So I deleted everything, from synology and the computer. I then went and installed the SD version of their NAS recorder. Their install package worked, and shows the shared folder on the synology. I am able to record shows now and see them in the folders. I can play back the shows etc. I'm currently copying over the older shows I had on my computer onto the synology shared folder. So far those are showing up on the recorded section of the computer app.

When it gets done copying all the shows, I intend to go back and transition to the SPK as shows on page 1 of this thread. Hopefully from that all will be good. I'll report back in a few.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

crzipilot wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 am Sorry, kept tinkering with it. I wasn't getting any log files or anything. Couldn't see anything new come up.
No worries
Does the UI show no log files?
Or Filestation?

crzipilot

Post by crzipilot »

At the time it didn't. But I deleted everything and started with just the SD stuff. I'm not going to transition from SD to your SPK and hope it holds.

crzipilot

Post by crzipilot »

Ok, so I followed the instructions to transition from SD to the SPK. Stopped started, ssh etc. And now it doesn't record or show any recorded shows in the DVR sub directory.

So I stopped everything. Deleted the left over hdhomerun directory. I uninstalled the spk, (I noticed on the dashboard the port was undesignated figured something got messed up on first install) So I reinstalled the spk......and whatever wonders of the universe came together and I see the previously recorded shows. I can record shows...and everything seems to be working now.

Not sure if it was something in the 7.3 update, or if something on the ubiquiti firmwares got updated etc.....either way it seems to be working.....

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Apologies all
Have been very busy of late doing other things (work, life, etc)

I do want some feedback.
When I created the packages initially on QNAP it was very easy to setup a Recordpath and add permissions and it is a valid path for the File Manager in their web interface to see and interact with.
This worked in Synology up to the File Manager part.

Part of me thinks shares shouldn't be created unless you need a share as otherwise it's creating a potential security hole that users would need to manage/understand, and thus on Synology I considered that trying to make it a share for File Manager was out weighed by the security concerns.

However, as I now look back to the almost 2years of this package I realise that many DO want to create a share - either for the File Manager OR for sharing out to windows machines for post processing or other.
So... should I reverse my thinking and do a share by default? Make it accessible by admins and http user by default?
Would anyone object to me switching to this?

rsd-HDHR

Post by rsd-HDHR »

Allowing the sharing makes the idea of using this package as a media platform make good sense so that the local/remote users can access recorded content. As with all sharing comes responsibility of the admins on the SYNO boxes. As long as they follow good practices when sharing the exposure is the same whether its this package or another allowing the share to be accessible. The process of how this is done in the GUI could be more important than the share itself.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

rsd-HDHR wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:28 pm Allowing the sharing makes the idea of using this package as a media platform make good sense so that the local/remote users can access recorded content. As with all sharing comes responsibility of the admins on the SYNO boxes. As long as they follow good practices when sharing the exposure is the same whether its this package or another allowing the share to be accessible. The process of how this is done in the GUI could be more important than the share itself.
not sure I understand the last statement.
There is no GUI when creating the share if I do it on package installation.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrose

Post by Kendrose »

I don't know what I am doing wrong, followed the instructions to switch from the old windows based NAS installer, to the spk. It defaults to a different record folder, so while it appears ready and able to record it isn't seeing any of my existing recordings. Can we just straight up not use the existing file directory we have set up? The spk doesn't even create a new file that I can see, and there is no obvious way (and while its referenced in the forums on several places without anyone actually saying HOW) to change the record path. Shouldn't it default to the same record path as the prior system?? I cant even create a new shared folder with the same name as the file path.

Unless I am missing something big, I guess I will have to wait to use the SPK, which honestly would be so nice as it actually boots with the sinology NAS instead of me having to manually restart it if the NAS is interrupted. I don't understand why the SPK isn't creating a folder that is visible. If it at least created the folder that would let me just copy/paste the recordings to a new path. Or let me specify the current recording folder. This is honestly the first time I have been genuinely frustrated with this software over the 2ish years I have been using it. I hope that switching to the SPK gets much more user friendly in the near future! Oh, and the admin link in the package center? Yea, it throws an error and wont load the web ui for the SPK either. So... have really no idea whats up with that.

Also, while this sounds like a lot of whining, I really do like the product and service, and very much want to continue using it!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Kendrose wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:43 am I don't know what I am doing wrong, followed the instructions to switch from the old windows based NAS installer, to the spk. It defaults to a different record folder, so while it appears ready and able to record it isn't seeing any of my existing recordings.
set the recordpath to the old location, fix permissions (see viewtopic.php?p=309570#p309570 "Error running the engine with a previously created shared folder")
Can we just straight up not use the existing file directory we have set up?
They are intentionally different so as not to confuse SD support
The spk doesn't even create a new file that I can see, and there is no obvious way (and while its referenced in the forums on several places without anyone actually saying HOW) to change the record path. Shouldn't it default to the same record path as the prior system?? I cant even create a new shared folder with the same name as the file path.
all the files is SPK are installed into your NASes apps locations which are hidden
Synology in their infinite wisdom has File Station only showing shares and not folders
Hence you cant see the created folder by the spk.
see "How to expose the default RecordPath as a share (or even just see it in FileStation)" at same link as above to make it a share
Unless I am missing something big, I guess I will have to wait to use the SPK, which honestly would be so nice as it actually boots with the sinology NAS instead of me having to manually restart it if the NAS is interrupted. I don't understand why the SPK isn't creating a folder that is visible. If it at least created the folder that would let me just copy/paste the recordings to a new path.
See above.. you can copy the recordings by using SSH to NAS as you get to see everything.
Just make sure to set the permissions for the engine on the copied files (sudo chown -R <location>)
as mentioned just a few posts up viewtopic.php?p=349713#p349713 am considering changing to create shares by default
Or let me specify the current recording folder. This is honestly the first time I have been genuinely frustrated with this software over the 2ish years I have been using it. I hope that switching to the SPK gets much more user friendly in the near future! Oh, and the admin link in the package center? Yea, it throws an error and wont load the web ui for the SPK either. So... have really no idea whats up with that.
Whats the error?
try going directly to the UI by pointing your browser to http://<nas ip address>/HDHomeRunDVR e.g. http://192.168.0.100/HDHomeRunDVR
Also, while this sounds like a lot of whining, I really do like the product and service, and very much want to continue using it!
You don't need to use the SPK to use SDs DVR
Many like the benefit of the free hours I put into creating, maintaining and improving the SPK but is not for everyone.
A little patience and you can get it working.. first thing to focus on is getting to the admin UI

Kendrose

Post by Kendrose »

Thanks for the response. Your links point to some things not covered in the initial instructions. I will give this a more through read next weekend. Also, the ui error I was getting was the 500 error. Ill try the work around that was in one of the links. Thanks!

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Hi Rik,
I have been messing with getting your latest version going for a couple of days. I actually have got everything functioning properly now with One exception.
So, it is recording properly bot live TV and show recording. Logs are getting created. I moved all of my previous recordings from the Shield and figured out the permissions so they show up.
I went through the process early in the thread about exposing the HDHomeRunDVR folder as a share. But Synology will not allow me to create the share so it is visible in DSM and accessible remotely.
It tells me "The Operation Failed" "Log into DSM and try again". I have tried with my account which is an admin and with the admin account. I can create other new Shares with either account.
Do you have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

I do really appreciate all of the work you do on this package and helping people to make it work, A LOT!
I do vote for a package that would auto-create the share. Maybe an option to either create it, or not depending on preference.

Thanks,
PP