Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

ddejager

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by ddejager » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm not surprised about "udp being udp" I would expect some errors and pixelation. At my friend's house what DOES surprise me is that even with the latest Kodi (18.3) and your beta add-on if I use HTTP and not UDP, I see the strange behavior where when switching to a 1080p (like ESPN HD) channel sometimes, maybe 30% of the time, it fails to start up properly...it will start to buffer, pixelate, buffer some more, etc. If I switch away from the channel and back again it will usually start successfully and run for hours with no errors. By changing to UDP, this bad startup behavior stopped completely...it always starts successfully (and occasionally I see pixelation while the channel plays, as expected with UDP). This is on an entirely wired Ethernet connection between the firestick 4k (with Ethernet adapter) and the hdhomerun tuner. I've also seen this occasionally elsewhere. Unfortunately I did not take the time at his house to capture a log. I will try to do that next time I'm there, but that might be a week or so.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Kodi recently rolled back a change made in 18.3 regarding stream playback. It looks like they are prepping an 18.4, perhaps with that being the driving force. I didn't see anything else that looked very critical out there.

It could be related, since 18.3 I have some occasional problems starting streams on Linux. In my case I get black screens with some audio and the occasional green blobs. I discounted it since the PVR was streaming fine. Kodi being Kodi :)

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm

I did see the same behavior, however, at my friend's house using 18.2. I should have mentioned that I do NOT see the startup problem if I use the HDHomeRun app on the firestick.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:17 pm

ddejager wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm
I did see the same behavior, however, at my friend's house using 18.2. I should have mentioned that I do NOT see the startup problem if I use the HDHomeRun app on the firestick.
I'm not sure what I can tell you here to be honest. HTTP or otherwise, the PVR pretty much just grabs data from the tuner (or RECORD engine) and hands it off. There could be some additional issue like the old SCTE PIM problem that is tripping up Kodi and/or ffmpeg and causing a problem analyzing the stream and getting it going?

I was considering adding something to let you save a Live TV stream to a file while it's being played for diagnostic purposes, that might be something useful in cases like this. If you were to enable such a thing and send me the file(s) I could run them through an MPEG-TS packet analyzer and even just try to play them as-is through Kodi to see why it won't do it's thing. This would have helped a lot back when we didn't know what the deal was with the SCTE thing, or when I was trying to figure out why audio-only streams wouldn't play :)

I have a few trepidations about adding such an option, but it would be a very valuable tool in cases like this. Do you think it's worth pursuing?

ddejager

Post by ddejager » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:22 am

I have a few trepidations about adding such an option, but it would be a very valuable tool in cases like this. Do you think it's worth pursuing?
I'm not sure if it is worth your effort. My guess is that some packets are being lost or re-transmitted because of network errors and eventually there is no buffer left and re-buffering occurs. I do not understand why the startup sometimes fails and cannot get synced up. If, however, you think that a debug option like this would help figure that out and you want to pursue it, I'll be happy to test for you at my friends house where it seems I can reliably reproduce the problem.

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:26 pm

djp952:

By any chance have you had any luck getting this to run under Android on a chromebook?

I believe the issue is with HDHOMERUN as their official Android app barely runs at all-takes 3 or 4 times to start and only allows viewing, no recording, so probably nothing you can do..but figured I would ask just in case...

Thanks..

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Success!!

You have an option they don't:
Http cloud based discovery option under advanced did the trick!

Your app records too!

Thanks,
Fletch

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 pm

fletchb1 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:35 pm
Success!!

Your app records too!

Thanks,
Fletch
Fixed before I even saw the post! Nice. HTTP used to be the default but I recently switched it over to use UDP broadcast by default by popular demand :) HTTP discovery works perfectly well, the only problem with it is that if you turn something off it will still show up in the list for up to 24 hours. If you aren't in the habit of turning things on and off, there should be no problem at all!

Glad you like it, have a great remainder of your weekend.

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:22 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 pm
fletchb1 wrote:
Success!!

Your app records too!

Thanks,
Fletch
Fixed before I even saw the post! Nice. HTTP used to be the default but I recently switched it over to use UDP broadcast by default by popular demand :) HTTP discovery works perfectly well, the only problem with it is that if you turn something off it will still show up in the list for up to 24 hours. If you aren't in the habit of turning things on and off, there should be no problem at all!

What do you mean that it will show up in the list for 24 hours? I did noticed that my main TV no longer has the program guide and can't record anything like it lost the record engine.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:38 pm

djp952 wrote:
HTTP used to be the default but I recently switched it over to use UDP broadcast by default by popular demand :)
I had to turn HTTP back on. Once in a while live TV would fail to start playing and it would throw a 503 error on UDP. I haven't had that problem since I switched it back.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:31 pm

fletchb1 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:22 pm
djp952 wrote:
fletchb1 wrote:
Success!!

Your app records too!

Thanks,
Fletch

What do you mean that it will show up in the list for 24 hours? I did noticed that my main TV no longer has the program guide and can't record anything like it lost the record engine.
The discovery data in the cloud (HTTP) has no means of knowing if you turned something off and will continue to report the device as available for around 24 hours.

The guide data and the ability to add/manipulate tuners depends on the information reported from your tuners. The RECORD engine, ironically enough has nothing to do with those. If the discovery data about the tuners is out of date the PVR may be sending stale authorization strings to the could backend and cause this. Can you provide a Kodi log from this system? I pretty much log everything useful at this point it should be pretty easy to identify the root cause from that

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:38 pm
djp952 wrote:
HTTP used to be the default but I recently switched it over to use UDP broadcast by default by popular demand :)
I had to turn HTTP back on. Once in a while live TV would fail to start playing and it would throw a 503 error on UDP. I haven't had that problem since I switched it back.
That's pretty odd sounding to me. If I recall the status codes properly 503 is usually returned when the RECORD engine has been bounced and the port number has changed. This is a main reason I switched to UDP discovery by default it takes a real-time snapshot of the network and should be more accurate.

Glad that you are working regardless, I apologize if that change messed you up. Also glad I added a way to get back to the old method even if I did kinda bury it :(

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 am

djp952 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm
That's pretty odd sounding to me. If I recall the status codes properly 503 is usually returned when the RECORD engine has been bounced and the port number has changed. This is a main reason I switched to UDP discovery by default it takes a real-time snapshot of the network and should be more accurate.

Glad that you are working regardless, I apologize if that change messed you up. Also glad I added a way to get back to the old method even if I did kinda bury it :(
I have two record engines and I set the port numbers in hdhomerun.conf for both of them so the port numbers shouldn't change. Switching to HTTP was the very first thing I did to troubleshoot so it was a quick and easy fix. Nobody else mentioned having trouble with live TV so I didn't bother reporting it at the time. I figured it was just something weird on my end causing it.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 am

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 am
djp952 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

I have two record engines and I set the port numbers in hdhomerun.conf for both of them so the port numbers shouldn't change. Switching to HTTP was the very first thing I did to troubleshoot so it was a quick and easy fix. Nobody else mentioned having trouble with live TV so I didn't bother reporting it at the time. I figured it was just something weird on my end causing it.
Woudn't it be great if there was just one way that worked for everyone? :mrgreen: Perhaps I should consider doing both methods automatically and combining the results. HTTP first, then broadcast, with broadcast trumping HTTP if there is a conflict. Unfortunately that would still allow a device that may have been turned off to show up, which does cause a lot of annoyance.

sigh. I suppose it's good enough as it is, apologies that changing the default required action on your part, even if it was a minor thing.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:58 am

djp952 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 am
sigh. I suppose it's good enough as it is, apologies that changing the default required action on your part, even if it was a minor thing.
I think it's pretty awesome as it is. Considering how much work you put into building it I certainly won't complain about the thirty seconds I spent toggling a setting.