Fire TV 4K HDHomeRun app issues

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ctbarker32

Fire TV 4K HDHomeRun app issues

Post by ctbarker32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 am

Hi,

I am trying to understand why the HDHomeRun app on current Fire TV 4K sticks is working so poorly. I have several Fire TV 4K sticks connected via Google Mesh with Fios one gig internet. Also one Fire TV stick is hardwired ethernet. Also one Toshiba Amazon Fire TV 4K.

I have had for a long time an HDPrime with cablecard connected to Fios. I also have installed a new Quattro with an antenna in my Attic. I have confirmed I am getting very good (100% or nearly) OTA signals.

Despite all this I cannot watch the HDHomeRun app for any length of time on on any of my TVs without several problems including losing video/audio sync and constant pausing. Sometimes it works without error for a while but inevitably it starts to develop problems. I have noticed that the Quattro's OTA channels start to fail consistently when a station goes to commercials and the audio stream is switching between Dolby Digital?

Based on my equipment and network I should have plenty of bandwidth so I should have a near perfect experience? Curiously, when I access the Quattro tuner through the Plex app I do not see these problems? So, I guess the workaround is to use Plex?

But, why is the HDHomeRun app working so badly for me? I see some posts that reference some audio bug on Amazon's part. I'm not sure if that is my problem? But why does the Plex app seem to work better with SD's hardware than SD's own app.

Is there something wrong with my setup or is there a Hardware/Software issue on SD's part? If the latter, could SD please acknowledge what is going on and whether a fix is imminent. I wasted a lot of time getting my antenna setup because I thought I had bad reception when it was really the HDHomeRun app.

Thanks.

ctbarker32

Re: Fire TV 4K HDHomeRun app issues

Post by ctbarker32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 am

While I was writing this post, I wondered if the HDPrime and Quattro had an interference problem? So I just disconnected the Prime. I watched on the Fire TV. For a while it seemed okay but as predicted when the station (WRC-TV DC) switched to commercial things went haywire where the audio for the previous commercial was actually playing with pictures from the next commercial. It actually got stuck in a loop where it started playing a repeat of the previous commercial over again. I watched for at least two minutes to see if it would straighten itself out when it started playing a previous commercial for a third time? Is the DVR service somehow involved here?

ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am

Further troubleshooting. I just turned off AC3 Passthrough in Fire TV settings. I am now not getting constant pausing I think? So this means it will work better but I will not get Dolby Digital 5.1 and have to make do with Matrix like Dolby Pro Logic, etc?

Disappointing. Will this ever get fixed?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:15 am

Hi,

If you are using audio over HDMI and you turn off AC3 passthrough you should still get 5.1 audio.

The HDHomeRun app auto-switches between stereo and 5.1 audio as needed.

If you have a recording that reproduces the problem please upload it to something like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the link.

If you don't have HDHomeRun DVR you can use the following instructions to save a capture. Suggest using 300 (5 minutes) instead of 30 (30 seconds).
Best to watch on the FireTV then run the command specifying the same channel... that way you can see the FireTV problem and know the capture includes it.

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... g_a_sample

Nick

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 am

nickk wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:15 am
Hi,

If you are using audio over HDMI and you turn off AC3 passthrough you should still get 5.1 audio.

Nick
This has not been my experience on FTV. There continues to be sound on all the channels, but it's clearly not surround sound.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am

5.1 is available when the Fire TV box/stick is connected to the receiver via HDMI and surround sound is enabled in the FireTV settings (if applicable). If it's connected to the TV and using ARC to send sound to the receiver you will not get 5.1 audio because ARC doesn't have enough bandwidth for multichannel PCM.

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am
5.1 is available when the Fire TV box/stick is connected to the receiver via HDMI and surround sound is enabled in the FireTV settings (if applicable). If it's connected to the TV and using ARC to send sound to the receiver you will not get 5.1 audio because ARC doesn't have enough bandwidth for multichannel PCM.
Interesting. Guess I'll have to do some playing around with the different inputs, but I'm guessing I'll likely have to either pick 4k or good audio for my setup. :cry:

ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

nickk wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:15 am
Hi,

The HDHomeRun app auto-switches between stereo and 5.1 audio as needed.

If you have a recording that reproduces the problem please upload it to something like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the link.

If you don't have HDHomeRun DVR you can use the following instructions to save a capture. Suggest using 300 (5 minutes) instead of 30 (30 seconds).
Best to watch on the FireTV then run the command specifying the same channel... that way you can see the FireTV problem and know the capture includes it.

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... g_a_sample

Nick
Thanks for the reply Nick. The problem is not a recording or playback problem on the PC for instance. It's a specific Fire TV display issue. While the Fire TV is stuttering, etc. I can bring up the client on PC and it plays without issue? DVR recordings are okay. I could record my TV screen with my cell phone if that would help? Unfortunately I don't have a 4K processor so I plug the Fire TV into my TV and send optical audio back to my processor. I do get Dolby Digital 5.1 contrary to other posters here if AC3 passthrough is enabled but then I have the other issues I reported here.

ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Interestingly, I am watching tonight and I am getting AC3 (e.g. Dolby Digital) even with AC3 Passthrough turned off? Color me confused. At commercial time I can hear and see as the audio switches back and forth between DD and 2.0 audio but everything stays in sync.

Also, Nick could you address why the Plex tuner interface doesn't exhibit these issues?

Also, are you saying that SD is unaware of these issues? I have seen threads elsewhere that refer to a mysterious audio bug with the FireTV?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Most Fire TV devices don't handle AC3 audio on true live streams properly. The HDHomeRun app blocks it entirely on earlier devices. The most recent devices sometimes handle it OK and sometimes don't, for no discernible reason, so it's left available to the user to enable/disable as needed. Plex doesn't play true live streams. Part of the processing it does breaks everything up into small files that it feeds to the player to play back to back (similar to how streaming internet video works), which works better on Fire TV devices, but also means that Plex inherently has much longer delays to start playing or change a channel because it has to create those files instead of just playing the stream.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm

If we can get a test capture or recording that reproduces the problem we can put it on our test system here and stream it to a FireTV 4k.

I also have a request in to re-test the FireTV 4k in AC3 passthrough mode with our existing audio-change test streams.

Once we can reproduce the problem we will know more.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 am

Double checking, which exact model of Fire TV do you have?

Nick

ctbarker32

Post by ctbarker32 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 am

nickk wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 am
Double checking, which exact model of Fire TV do you have?

Nick
I have several

Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD and Alexa Voice Remote ATFN
2018 Toshiba Fire TV 4k
Fire TV Stick 4K AFTMM

I'm thinking of getting some of the latest 4k sticks as they are only $24 on Monday. Do the latest sticks perform better in your opinion? The latest appears to have native MPEG-2 support (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am

We reproduced the problem here on one of our devices... we are investigating.

There are better Android devices out there for media use. The top is the Nvidia Shield - great picture quality and they stay up to date with the latest Anddroid releases (I use a Shield at home).

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:36 am

nickk wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am
The top is the Nvidia Shield - great picture quality
Well, except for the VPU bug that impacts some people with some specific (OTA) stations. I saw one report the VPU bug is fixed in Turing (I have no way to test that report).