Prime still available and will it serve my purpose?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
hifidigital

Prime still available and will it serve my purpose?

Post by hifidigital » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 am

I'm a current OTA user of a HDHomeRun Connect and have been looking to get a small cable package and purchase a Prime for its ability to use a cablecard and avoid renting boxes, etc.

Are the Prime's still available?

Will it let me record (I have the HDHomeRun DVR software) channels from the cable card?

Are there any gotchas that I am not aware of?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Prime still available and will it serve my purpose?

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am

HDHomeRun PRIME was discontinued last year and all new and refurbished devices have been sold out for almost a year now. The only option for purchase is a used device on eBay or something. A new 6 tuner model is planned for release later this year.

What you'll be able to record depends on whether or not your cable provider applies DRM/copy protection to the channels. Some providers like Comcast (most regions) only protect premium channels like HBO and Showtime, while others like Spectrum (in former TWC and Brighthouse regions) protect everything but the local broadcast channels. Protected channels cannot currently be recorded, but we are working on adding support for that. It is planned to be ready in time for the launch of PRIME 6.

hifidigital

Post by hifidigital » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm in a Spectrum area so I will call and see if they protect their channels.

Do you have any idea when the new PRIME might be available?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm

They won't have any idea what you're talking about.

If you're in an area that used to be TWC or Brighthouse, it's pretty much guaranteed that they will be protected. If it was a Charter area before the buyout, the only way to know would be to have someone with a CableCARD device check. If you're new to the area and don't know who it was before, then share your location (just the metro area is fine) and someone will probably know.

PRIME 6 is slated for release later this year. Nothing narrower than that right now.

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:48 pm

hifidigital wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 pm
I'm in a Spectrum area so I will call and see if they protect their channels.

Do you have any idea when the new PRIME might be available?
Where geographically are you located? Have you found out any more info?

If TWC was purchased by Comcast, does that mean they've relaxed the incessant DRM-ing of all channels TWC was notorious for, or do they just arbitrarily do it for monopoly power in states that allow it?

I'm in WA and the only DRM channels I have are things like Showtime, HBO, etc. But our state laws are known for being more consumer-friendly than most other states.

I can watch but not record DRM, and I even have to run my DP-->HDMI converter from the Thinkpad T520 I use for watching TV through an HDMI splitter for the DRM channels to reach the TV, not sure why, maybe for HDCP reasons? It's a mess.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:40 am

averyfreeman wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:48 pm

If TWC was purchased by Comcast, does that mean they've relaxed the incessant DRM-ing of all channels TWC was notorious for, or do they just arbitrarily do it for monopoly power in states that allow it?
Well the comcast purchase of TWC was denied by FTC. Poor decision in my opinion by the FTC as comcast policies would make for a better user experience than TWC. It would take a longtime to swap out legacy devices for newer ones to fit into the xfinity universe. Big markets would happen sooner than older. That new system is far better than anything Charter has to offer.

Charter basically was handed TWC on a spoon. A better fit, as the legacy equipment is the same as are policies for the most part. Better for the public, no.
I can watch but not record DRM, and I even have to run my DP-->HDMI converter from the Thinkpad T520 I use for watching TV through an HDMI splitter for the DRM channels to reach the TV, not sure why, maybe for HDCP reasons? It's a mess.
Presuming your using HD DVR, and not Windows 7 Media Center [if so it may be the T520 screen type is the issue if it will not directly play on the T520], I cannot think of a reason for needing a splitter HDMI cable vs a regular HDMI cable. It would have to be a network capable HDMI cable which earlier HDMI cables typically were not capable [was the reason I could not get CIC to work on a Nexus player hook up I had with a TV].

tabbyplague

Post by tabbyplague » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 am

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am
HDHomeRun PRIME was discontinued last year and all new and refurbished devices have been sold out for almost a year now. The only option for purchase is a used device on eBay or something. A new 6 tuner model is planned for release later this year.

What you'll be able to record depends on whether or not your cable provider applies DRM/copy protection to the channels. Some providers like Comcast (most regions) only protect premium channels like HBO and Showtime, while others like Spectrum (in former TWC and Brighthouse regions) protect everything but the local broadcast channels. Protected channels cannot currently be recorded, but we are working on adding support for that. It is planned to be ready in time for the launch of PRIME 6.
This statement is true if you are running something other than Windows Media Center as your application to interface with the HDHomeRun Prime. I've used small bookshelf computers (Asus Vivo w/Windows 7 Pro OS) connected to my TV's running Windows Media Center as my HDHomeRun Prime interface for several years now. I have Spectrum and can record anything (copy protected/not copy protected) in my cable package without a problem. The only mod I've done was to install EPG123 to take over the electronic programming (i.e. TV) guide function from the Windows Media Center defaults.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:02 am

Mediaman wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:40 am
I cannot think of a reason for needing a splitter HDMI cable vs a regular HDMI cable. It would have to be a network capable HDMI cable which earlier HDMI cables typically were not capable [was the reason I could not get CIC to work on a Nexus player hook up I had with a TV].
Hi why was my post removed, [removed by moderator]

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Mediaman wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:40 am
Presuming your using HD DVR, and not Windows 7 Media Center [if so it may be the T520 screen type is the issue if it will not directly play on the T520], I cannot think of a reason for needing a splitter HDMI cable vs a regular HDMI cable. It would have to be a network capable HDMI cable which earlier HDMI cables typically were not capable [was the reason I could not get CIC to work on a Nexus player hook up I had with a TV].
Yes, HDHR on LTSC 2019 w/ store sideloaded. T520 has DP output, viewing DRM through DP->HDMI cable did not work, although all other channels worked fine.

[removed by moderator]
Last edited by averyfreeman on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:30 pm

I didn't see your post but if it contained any pointers to or discussion of methods/devices to circumvent or disable content protection mechanisms then I am pretty sure it will be deleted.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:45 am

stuartm wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:30 pm
I didn't see your post but if it contained any pointers to or discussion of methods/devices to circumvent or disable content protection mechanisms then I am pretty sure it will be deleted.
I looked through the rules and didn't see anything about it so I posed again - at least the second time they told me why (wasn't sure if it was a link, or the discussion topic or what)

Code: Select all

Rules: 
This is a technical support forum for Silicondust HDHomeRun products. We are here to help and we encourage posting.

To keep the forums safe and on topic we don't allow the following:

* Multiple forum accounts by the same person.
* Personal attacks or arguments between members or with moderators.
* Advertising or promotion of products/services.
* Discussion of third party products that do not utilize HDHomeRun tuners.
* Discussion of patents.
* Fear-uncertainty-doubt (FUD) style posting without substance.
Ref: viewtopic.php?f=128&t=65678

But the short answer is yeah - you're right!

Although I'm not using it for anything nefarious, just trying to fix something that's broken (which in the article I had linked discusses that this is often the problem since the technology - which I shall not name here - is notorious for causing issues where there should be none).

It's an issue anyone trying to watch TV using a computer could run into, so I think everyone understands I was just trying to be helpful more than I was trying to be Cap'n Blackbeard.