View for Linux?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 pm

averyfreeman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:47 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm
jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:25 pm
There is not a native app for Linux; support for Linux is through the Kodi add-on.
I see.

Well then....please consider editing your website and product pages to make that more clear and remove the Linux Penguin logo from your parts showing and linking to the native app.
As it stands, it advertises that u do have a native app for Linux.
This is short-sighted. There is linux support. The record app is native, and viewing possible through in-house kodi add-on. I don't get your beef.
Is Kodi made by Silicon Dust?
If so then yes, then, I am wrong.
If not.....then....
A kodi plug in is NOT in-house, or native support for a SD HDHomeRun device.
A HDHomeRUN VIEW .deb would be native. The exact same software I load up to watch tv in Windows.
I don't have to install Kodi, then install a plugin on Windows...why the F do I have to have to on Linux.
This topic has been answered already...If you had bothered to read it properly.
SD does not make a HDHR app or software to view the tuner in Linux....and I do NOT want to use nor can I use Kodi.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by NedS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 pm
averyfreeman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:47 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm


I see.

Well then....please consider editing your website and product pages to make that more clear and remove the Linux Penguin logo from your parts showing and linking to the native app.
As it stands, it advertises that u do have a native app for Linux.
This is short-sighted. There is linux support. The record app is native, and viewing possible through in-house kodi add-on. I don't get your beef.
Is Kodi made by Silicon Dust?
If so then yes, then, I am wrong.
If not.....then....
A kodi plug in is NOT in-house, or native support for a SD HDHomeRun device.
A HDHomeRUN VIEW .deb would be native. The exact same software I load up to watch tv in Windows.
I don't have to install Kodi, then install a plugin on Windows...why the F do I have to have to on Linux.
This topic has been answered already...If you had bothered to read it properly.
SD does not make a HDHR app or software to view the tuner in Linux....and I do NOT want to use nor can I use Kodi.
It's an official client. It doesn't matter if it's an independent binary or an add-on for something else. It's officially supported by Silicondust and it can be used for linux-based operating systems.

averyfreeman
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:12 am
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact:

Re: View for Linux?

Post by averyfreeman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 pm
I don't have to install Kodi, then install a plugin on Windows...why the F do I have to have to on Linux.
Yes, I agree, it's very nice of them to provide any options for Linux users at all. Most companies don't support anything outside of Windows. It must be a huge headache for them.

I've been recording using FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE for a year now myself, and I've been very happy with it. I was super surprised they even offered a solution for FreeBSD. I'm tickled pink.

Maybe if you are really intent on using the Linux kernel and the all-in-one view application you could look into running Android?

speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 am

averyfreeman wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 pm
I don't have to install Kodi, then install a plugin on Windows...why the F do I have to have to on Linux.
Yes, I agree, it's very nice of them to provide any options for Linux users at all. Most companies don't support anything outside of Windows. It must be a huge headache for them.

I've been recording using FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE for a year now myself, and I've been very happy with it. I was super surprised they even offered a solution for FreeBSD. I'm tickled pink.

Maybe if you are really intent on using the Linux kernel and the all-in-one view application you could look into running Android?
I have TRIED Kodi....it is a HORRIBLE program and interface.
SDs instruction on how to install their plug-in is useless...just go to Video Addons and select it...on the 3 linux distros I have tried, that section has no such addon to download new plugins...and SD has no manual instructions or file to install in to Kodi. With another distro that I do not want to use. kodi did have that option, there is the Official HDHR app (and a third party "Simple" version that after u install and use it once, it removes it self saying that is not compatible with newer versions of Kodi.)
The official HDHR app plugin in Kodi is NOTHING like the windows one. It looks like something form the 90s, just a Kodi does,(no matter the skin). The app is extremely buggy with GUI buttons and elements flashing and ghosting when i move the mouse, heck, there is mouse trails whenever the screen hangs for a sec to change channels. The live DVR record does not work fully, can pause and resume, that is it, no FF or RW. The live tv buffer file is not showing in the folder on the machine that is hosting the DVR function, i like to have that in case i wish to save something i am watching, but did not hit record on it....The program images take minutes to load when u scroll down in the "Guide". overall, it is just a trash GUI and UX.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:05 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 am
averyfreeman wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 pm
I don't have to install Kodi, then install a plugin on Windows...why the F do I have to have to on Linux.
Yes, I agree, it's very nice of them to provide any options for Linux users at all. Most companies don't support anything outside of Windows. It must be a huge headache for them.

I've been recording using FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE for a year now myself, and I've been very happy with it. I was super surprised they even offered a solution for FreeBSD. I'm tickled pink.

Maybe if you are really intent on using the Linux kernel and the all-in-one view application you could look into running Android?
I have TRIED Kodi....it is a HORRIBLE program and interface.
SDs instruction on how to install their plug-in is useless...just go to Video Addons and select it...on the 3 linux distros I have tried, that section has no such addon to download new plugins...and SD has no manual instructions or file to install in to Kodi. With another distro that I do not want to use. kodi did have that option, there is the Official HDHR app (and a third party "Simple" version that after u install and use it once, it removes it self saying that is not compatible with newer versions of Kodi.)
The official HDHR app plugin in Kodi is NOTHING like the windows one. It looks like something form the 90s, just a Kodi does,(no matter the skin). The app is extremely buggy with GUI buttons and elements flashing and ghosting when i move the mouse, heck, there is mouse trails whenever the screen hangs for a sec to change channels. The live DVR record does not work fully, can pause and resume, that is it, no FF or RW. The live tv buffer file is not showing in the folder on the machine that is hosting the DVR function, i like to have that in case i wish to save something i am watching, but did not hit record on it....The program images take minutes to load when u scroll down in the "Guide". overall, it is just a trash GUI and UX.
Kodi is an award winning application used not only by millions of users, but due to being open source, is also repurposed by major tech companies and deployed for large hotel chain and other infotainment installs. Most people who scoff at Kodi either don't know what it's capable of, or have a technical issue that can be solved.

We have new instructions on our new documentation site, that we've been setting up in the last few weeks (Kodi changed their default skin since we had originally released the add-on): https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/kodi

(That page also details use some of the great community options as well)

All major linux distros use the same Kodi add-on repository for python-based add-ons (which is the type that the HDHomeRun add-on is). They won't have a different selection of those video add-ons, assuming they are using a version of Kodi from the last few years.

The Amber skin with a few settings tweaks is beautiful and modern looking skin, and certainly does not look like something from the 90s. (as one example, there are others).

The fast-forward and rewind issues are a recent bug due to changes in Kodi. Using an older version of Kodi can be used as a temp work around, but we are going to fix those playback control bugs, as well as update the over-all add-on as it as derived from the app over time. I don't have an ETA on that, unfortunately, but it is on our radar.

Kodi should not be laggy on anything as powerful as a Raspberry Pi 3 or better, which is a pretty low bar.

If you want to use a mouse then you need to use a skin that supports mice. Most Kodi skins are designed for use with a remote control.

The DVR software handles saving the live buffer if you press record on a show. That's not handled in Kodi.

Something is broken if it takes minutes for images to load.

I'm certainly not saying that I expect everyone to be happy with the Kodi option, but it is comparable to our native app (minus support for DRM-protected CableCARD channels).


What we could do is provide our own mini-fork of Kodi where the add-on is already enabled, and goes directly into it and hides all of the other parts of the Kodi GUI (just an idea, no promises). The biggest issue with Kodi and the add-on is that it's not turn-key, but doing this kind of "mini-fork" would solve that. When the add-on gets updated, there will be very little that is different between the normal app and the add-on, and you wouldn't even know you were using Kodi.

speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:06 pm

NedS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:05 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 am
averyfreeman wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 am


Yes, I agree, it's very nice of them to provide any options for Linux users at all. Most companies don't support anything outside of Windows. It must be a huge headache for them.

I've been recording using FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE for a year now myself, and I've been very happy with it. I was super surprised they even offered a solution for FreeBSD. I'm tickled pink.

Maybe if you are really intent on using the Linux kernel and the all-in-one view application you could look into running Android?
I have TRIED Kodi....it is a HORRIBLE program and interface.
SDs instruction on how to install their plug-in is useless...just go to Video Addons and select it...on the 3 linux distros I have tried, that section has no such addon to download new plugins...and SD has no manual instructions or file to install in to Kodi. With another distro that I do not want to use. kodi did have that option, there is the Official HDHR app (and a third party "Simple" version that after u install and use it once, it removes it self saying that is not compatible with newer versions of Kodi.)
The official HDHR app plugin in Kodi is NOTHING like the windows one. It looks like something form the 90s, just a Kodi does,(no matter the skin). The app is extremely buggy with GUI buttons and elements flashing and ghosting when i move the mouse, heck, there is mouse trails whenever the screen hangs for a sec to change channels. The live DVR record does not work fully, can pause and resume, that is it, no FF or RW. The live tv buffer file is not showing in the folder on the machine that is hosting the DVR function, i like to have that in case i wish to save something i am watching, but did not hit record on it....The program images take minutes to load when u scroll down in the "Guide". overall, it is just a trash GUI and UX.
Kodi is an award winning application used not only by millions of users, but due to being open source, is also repurposed by major tech companies and deployed for large hotel chain and other infotainment installs. Most people who scoff at Kodi either don't know what it's capable of, or have a technical issue that can be solved.

We have new instructions on our new documentation site, that we've been setting up in the last few weeks (Kodi changed their default skin since we had originally released the add-on): https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/kodi

(That page also details use some of the great community options as well)

All major linux distros use the same Kodi add-on repository for python-based add-ons (which is the type that the HDHomeRun add-on is). They won't have a different selection of those video add-ons, assuming they are using a version of Kodi from the last few years.

The Amber skin with a few settings tweaks is beautiful and modern looking skin, and certainly does not look like something from the 90s. (as one example, there are others).

The fast-forward and rewind issues are a recent bug due to changes in Kodi. Using an older version of Kodi can be used as a temp work around, but we are going to fix those playback control bugs, as well as update the over-all add-on as it as derived from the app over time. I don't have an ETA on that, unfortunately, but it is on our radar.

Kodi should not be laggy on anything as powerful as a Raspberry Pi 3 or better, which is a pretty low bar.

If you want to use a mouse then you need to use a skin that supports mice. Most Kodi skins are designed for use with a remote control.

The DVR software handles saving the live buffer if you press record on a show. That's not handled in Kodi.

Something is broken if it takes minutes for images to load.

I'm certainly not saying that I expect everyone to be happy with the Kodi option, but it is comparable to our native app (minus support for DRM-protected CableCARD channels).


What we could do is provide our own mini-fork of Kodi where the add-on is already enabled, and goes directly into it and hides all of the other parts of the Kodi GUI (just an idea, no promises). The biggest issue with Kodi and the add-on is that it's not turn-key, but doing this kind of "mini-fork" would solve that. When the add-on gets updated, there will be very little that is different between the normal app and the add-on, and you wouldn't even know you were using Kodi.
The instructions you linked to do not work for me. As I stated.
Linux Mint 19.1.
I installed Kodi via the Software Manager.
The settings screen has no ADD ONS box like in the video....there is no install from Repository.
I can find an Add on Browser else where in the program, but it only gives option to install from .zip file...which I do not have one.

I would attach images...but your primitive web forum system does not support it???

rrussis82
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: View for Linux?

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:06 pm

The instructions you linked to do not work for me. As I stated.
Linux Mint 19.1.
I installed Kodi via the Software Manager.
The settings screen has no ADD ONS box like in the video....there is no install from Repository.
I can find an Add on Browser else where in the program, but it only gives option to install from .zip file...which I do not have one.

I would attach images...but your primitive web forum system does not support it???
from Software Manager search for kodi again. find the one called Kodi-repository-kodi and install it. then continue with the instructions on this site. the Linux mint kodi install does not install any libraries, its a barebones empty system so you need to also install that library to get the official Kodi approved addons

speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Another issue with those instruction.....

There is NO "Party Mode"\
Select “Install from repository”
Scroll down and select “Partymode autostart”
Select “Install” and press “OK” on the follow-up window
Once installed, select “Partymode autostart” again from the window you are currently in

It give me a list of categories.
Only in the video does the guy say go to "Services"

rrussis82
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: View for Linux?

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:25 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Another issue with those instruction.....

There is NO "Party Mode"\
Select “Install from repository”
Scroll down and select “Partymode autostart”
Select “Install” and press “OK” on the follow-up window
Once installed, select “Partymode autostart” again from the window you are currently in

It give me a list of categories.
Only in the video does the guy say go to "Services"
Theres tons of youtube videos on how to setup the newest versions of kodi they are everywhere. after installing the kodi repository open kodi, go to addons on left, then at top install from repository, go to video addons, look for hdhomerun, then install it. once installed go back to home, go to addons on left side and you will see hdhomerun. open it to use

nickk
Silicondust
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:39 am

Re: View for Linux?

Post by nickk » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 pm

I have created an internal ticket to review the instructions for setting up Kodi on Mint Linux...

Nick

speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:25 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Another issue with those instruction.....

There is NO "Party Mode"\
Select “Install from repository”
Scroll down and select “Partymode autostart”
Select “Install” and press “OK” on the follow-up window
Once installed, select “Partymode autostart” again from the window you are currently in

It give me a list of categories.
Only in the video does the guy say go to "Services"
Theres tons of youtube videos on how to setup the newest versions of kodi they are everywhere. after installing the kodi repository open kodi, go to addons on left, then at top install from repository, go to video addons, look for hdhomerun, then install it. once installed go back to home, go to addons on left side and you will see hdhomerun. open it to use
U are assuming that each install is the same version and from the same repository...they are CLEARLY not so.
As already been stated, some distros have old versions or versions with no repository ability...some dont even have Kodi in their software installer and a CLI install is only option.
The options and icon locations are slightly different in the distros I have tested the last few days....hence why I came here to ask for clarifications and proper install steps.
SD clearly recognizes my discovery and issues...as they just posted that they are going to review their article and install instructions.

rrussis82
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: View for Linux?

Post by rrussis82 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:24 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:25 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Another issue with those instruction.....

There is NO "Party Mode"\
Select “Install from repository”
Scroll down and select “Partymode autostart”
Select “Install” and press “OK” on the follow-up window
Once installed, select “Partymode autostart” again from the window you are currently in

It give me a list of categories.
Only in the video does the guy say go to "Services"
Theres tons of youtube videos on how to setup the newest versions of kodi they are everywhere. after installing the kodi repository open kodi, go to addons on left, then at top install from repository, go to video addons, look for hdhomerun, then install it. once installed go back to home, go to addons on left side and you will see hdhomerun. open it to use
U are assuming that each install is the same version and from the same repository...they are CLEARLY not so.
As already been stated, some distros have old versions or versions with no repository ability...some dont even have Kodi in their software installer and a CLI install is only option.
The options and icon locations are slightly different in the distros I have tested the last few days....hence why I came here to ask for clarifications and proper install steps.
SD clearly recognizes my discovery and issues...as they just posted that they are going to review their article and install instructions.
Yes I agree, I had the same problem when I set up kodi on Linux mint.. No add-ons present. so I went to youtube and searched kodi on Linux mint. that's when I discovered you had to install the kodi repositories, then it showed up..

my point was that there are thousands of resources at your fingertips. when one instruction doesn't work search for another. between youtube and google search you can probably learn as much as someone with a degree.

my job is basic IT for a company that is heavily managed at HQ level and only gives my basic permissions. When a problem comes up in the network or on a computer that I cannot figure out, I go to google. when I cant find it there, then I escalate higher to HQ level. 90% of fixes can be found on Google.

speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:24 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:25 pm


Theres tons of youtube videos on how to setup the newest versions of kodi they are everywhere. after installing the kodi repository open kodi, go to addons on left, then at top install from repository, go to video addons, look for hdhomerun, then install it. once installed go back to home, go to addons on left side and you will see hdhomerun. open it to use
U are assuming that each install is the same version and from the same repository...they are CLEARLY not so.
As already been stated, some distros have old versions or versions with no repository ability...some dont even have Kodi in their software installer and a CLI install is only option.
The options and icon locations are slightly different in the distros I have tested the last few days....hence why I came here to ask for clarifications and proper install steps.
SD clearly recognizes my discovery and issues...as they just posted that they are going to review their article and install instructions.
Yes I agree, I had the same problem when I set up kodi on Linux mint.. No add-ons present. so I went to youtube and searched kodi on Linux mint. that's when I discovered you had to install the kodi repositories, then it showed up..

my point was that there are thousands of resources at your fingertips. when one instruction doesn't work search for another. between youtube and google search you can probably learn as much as someone with a degree.

my job is basic IT for a company that is heavily managed at HQ level and only gives my basic permissions. When a problem comes up in the network or on a computer that I cannot figure out, I go to google. when I cant find it there, then I escalate higher to HQ level. 90% of fixes can be found on Google.
so then no company should bother making their own forums then its all on google by someone else?
that page IS the first thing that came up on google and btw, i prefer to stick to the manufactures or software developer sources.
I DID look at other videos and they were years old and looked nothing like what i am using.
u cant just say go to youtube and watch vids and assume that what u see is what the user will see and is the correct usefull vid....every users search results will be different.
there is not other kodi pacakge listed in the list....do i need to add a special repository?

second, does NOT change the fact that SD own instructions were incomplete and inaccurate. SOmehting that was not known to them until now.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by NedS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:22 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:24 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm


U are assuming that each install is the same version and from the same repository...they are CLEARLY not so.
As already been stated, some distros have old versions or versions with no repository ability...some dont even have Kodi in their software installer and a CLI install is only option.
The options and icon locations are slightly different in the distros I have tested the last few days....hence why I came here to ask for clarifications and proper install steps.
SD clearly recognizes my discovery and issues...as they just posted that they are going to review their article and install instructions.
Yes I agree, I had the same problem when I set up kodi on Linux mint.. No add-ons present. so I went to youtube and searched kodi on Linux mint. that's when I discovered you had to install the kodi repositories, then it showed up..

my point was that there are thousands of resources at your fingertips. when one instruction doesn't work search for another. between youtube and google search you can probably learn as much as someone with a degree.

my job is basic IT for a company that is heavily managed at HQ level and only gives my basic permissions. When a problem comes up in the network or on a computer that I cannot figure out, I go to google. when I cant find it there, then I escalate higher to HQ level. 90% of fixes can be found on Google.
so then no company should bother making their own forums then its all on google by someone else?
that page IS the first thing that came up on google and btw, i prefer to stick to the manufactures or software developer sources.
I DID look at other videos and they were years old and looked nothing like what i am using.
u cant just say go to youtube and watch vids and assume that what u see is what the user will see and is the correct usefull vid....every users search results will be different.
there is not other kodi pacakge listed in the list....do i need to add a special repository?

second, does NOT change the fact that SD own instructions were incomplete and inaccurate. SOmehting that was not known to them until now.
After reviewing the situation I can tell you that our instructions are still 100% correct. If you follow Kodi's official installation instructions then you won't get a broken version of Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux

The Debian package version of Kodi is broken and entirely unsupported. It shouldn't be used by anyone, ever.

I will update our instructions to note that people must install official versions of Kodi.

speedingcheetah
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: View for Linux?

Post by speedingcheetah » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:47 pm

NedS wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:22 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:24 pm


Yes I agree, I had the same problem when I set up kodi on Linux mint.. No add-ons present. so I went to youtube and searched kodi on Linux mint. that's when I discovered you had to install the kodi repositories, then it showed up..

my point was that there are thousands of resources at your fingertips. when one instruction doesn't work search for another. between youtube and google search you can probably learn as much as someone with a degree.

my job is basic IT for a company that is heavily managed at HQ level and only gives my basic permissions. When a problem comes up in the network or on a computer that I cannot figure out, I go to google. when I cant find it there, then I escalate higher to HQ level. 90% of fixes can be found on Google.
so then no company should bother making their own forums then its all on google by someone else?
that page IS the first thing that came up on google and btw, i prefer to stick to the manufactures or software developer sources.
I DID look at other videos and they were years old and looked nothing like what i am using.
u cant just say go to youtube and watch vids and assume that what u see is what the user will see and is the correct usefull vid....every users search results will be different.
there is not other kodi pacakge listed in the list....do i need to add a special repository?

second, does NOT change the fact that SD own instructions were incomplete and inaccurate. SOmehting that was not known to them until now.
After reviewing the situation I can tell you that our instructions are still 100% correct. If you follow Kodi's official installation instructions then you won't get a broken version of Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux

The Debian package version of Kodi is broken and entirely unsupported. It shouldn't be used by anyone, ever.

I will update our instructions to note that people must install official versions of Kodi.
That is the official version a user will see. It has the logo and all the right things. it is not a fork or anything
There is one other version...Flathub, but it requires 2.5GB of HDD space due to a crap ton of things it downloads to run this flathub thing. and has 0 reviews
This is what Mint users see:

https://imgur.com/YGB7gqo
https://imgur.com/tRBbYtZ
https://imgur.com/KH4pHtb

i did try the steps i that page linked to to install from the "official" PPA and it completely broke things, gave a crap ton of errors and broken packages. least it was a clean install on a test comptuer so easy to wipe and reinstall image.

Post Reply