I've decided to opt-in to the "early access to new features" on my primary Windows 10 viewing computer. It never seemed to do anything before, but I tried it again recently and I noticed some definite changes this time.
I have been a DVR customer for about 2-3 years now. Is there a place where I can find out how long I've been a customer?
Anyway, here are some of my (somewhat subjective) observations:
- The settings menu (top right gear icon) is helpful
- It's nice to have this option actually do something now!
- Update 7-5-2019: There appears to be a new manual record feature that I didn't know about, which is very exciting to me personally since I brought it up back in Feb. more on that below.
- The new font is more readable, but it's not really necessary for it to be so large IMO.
- Animated transition when flipping between shows in channel listing. Cute but unimportant. If this is related to why record dot no longer showing, please switch it back (see below)
- The menu bar used to be limited to one line when performing an action (e.g. FF, RW) - now it takes up 2-3 lines because show title has its own line (not necessary). Irritation exacerbated by larger font.
- The bottom menu bar used to disappear more quickly after invoking an action - I actually thought it was persistent, but looks like it just takes longer to go back down. For instance, if bar is not showing but I FF during pause, the menu bar pops up and takes longer to disappear now.
- There is no longer a red dot on shows set to record in the channel listings - extremely inconvenient to have to flip to tasks menu for each show when dot used to be there.
- Occasionally channel listed will reset to 001 instead of currently viewed channel - please note, just the listing, not the channel itself.
- Update: I just noticed the pull-out menu (hamburger icon) in the top left shows App version 20190611 1.1.275.0 but the settings menu from the record menu (gear icon) says 20190620b (beta).
so it dawned on me this morning that new UI is in part addressing a particular issue I brought up back in Feb, asking for a feature where hitting the record button in live view would start a manual recording:
I've tried to analyze the new manual record feature a bit in this thread here:
But I'm going to try and roll it into this thread instead for posterity.