When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
simas

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by simas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:31 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

I understand, but I'm proceeding with the assumption that DRM recording support will be available around the same time as the PRIME 6.
excellent if it is so. given timing is unknown and no real information was given on this, there is nothing else we can do right now other than wait.

hrsweet3

Post by hrsweet3 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 am

The year is half over and yet the announcement is coming in 2019. When would that be?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 am

hrsweet3 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 am
The year is half over and yet the announcement is coming in 2019. When would that be?
By the end of 2019.

EDIT: My apologies for the original version of this post. It was needlessly snippy at someone who just wants to know when the PRIME 6 comes out, and that's what the forum is for (asking questions about HDHomeRuns). No matter how many times it gets asked, it's still a valid question. I should have especially been more patient with a brand new user.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 am
hrsweet3 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 am
As been repeated for more times than there are grains of sand in the world, by the end of 2019. Asking again and again won't change the answer. When we have something more to announce, we'll announce it. We're not just going to forget.
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:16 am

I saw on twitter that Prime 6 is still under development... have no dates to report. We just have to be patient.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:26 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 am
Asking again and again won't change the answer.
Technically, asking "Are we there yet?" again and again will eventually get another answer should one eventually arrive, meaning that asking again and again will result in a positive reinforcement (unless you are going to answer "no" any anyone you have answered "no" to before, even if the answer has changed, to discourage the behavior in the future(*)). However, there is a pinned topic "Prime 6 status thread" which one can (and should) subscribe to to get email when there is an actual status update.

(*) Which of course you will not be able to realistically accomplish.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:12 am

simas wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 am

DRM recording is required feature and I understand why it may be very hard (vs when Microsoft did it originally with WMC in Win 7)
Yeah when MS did it, they only had to work with one OS which they fully controlled and are a much bigger company. Still took them three years to do it.

donut4490

Post by donut4490 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:56 am

Nice to see that it hasn't been abandoned, but I would have preferred for the Prime 3 to not be discontinued until the Prime 6 is ready.

Kendog52361

Post by Kendog52361 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am

donut4490 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:56 am
Nice to see that it hasn't been abandoned, but I would have preferred for the Prime 3 to not be discontinued until the Prime 6 is ready.
As I understand it, one or more of the critical components, such as the 3 tuner part, itself, were no longer being manufactured, so to swap them out, for new pieces/components, they would have to go through the full certification process, all over again, so at that point, it's easier to just focus on the Prime 6, which would likely have been replacing the Prime 3 anyway.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:21 am

Kendog52361 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am
so at that point, it's easier to just focus on the Prime 6, which would likely have been replacing the Prime 3 anyway.
You forgot about the (mythical) "Prime 4 transcoder" (which would have been offered in a timeline a number of years ago after the Prime 3, and before the Prime 6) which would have used a part that was (rumored to be) initially oversubscribed, and then the company got bought, and then that company got bought. Last I looked that part has completely disappeared from the list of offerings. So another fork in the road that lead to a dead end. When you are dealing with these low end SoC's, unless you pick parts with a guaranteed decade long availability (and those have a limited selection, at a premium over new designs) the time frame can be limited to just a few years before the manufacturer has moved on. In some cases a company would nominally have preferred to shutdown some of the older processes needed for just one more run on a long term part.

donut4490

Post by donut4490 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:38 am

Kendog52361 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am
donut4490 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:56 am
As I understand it, one or more of the critical components, such as the 3 tuner part, itself, were no longer being manufactured, so to swap them out, for new pieces/components, they would have to go through the full certification process, all over again, so at that point, it's easier to just focus on the Prime 6, which would likely have been replacing the Prime 3 anyway.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Looks like I'll nab a used P3 and wait patiently for that P6!

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:25 am

NYPlayer wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:19 pm
tsimitpo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:30 pm
At least one - then we'll see how it goes, because with padding each channel can end up using two tuners.
Using the HDHomerun app, channels, EMBY no way a channel takes up 2 tuners even with padding.
That depend on how app was build

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:25 pm
It's technically possible that one could overwhelm 100meg ethernet, by finding the largest (bandwidth wise) channel example and multiplying that by six. It's just highly unlikely to come across that situation naturally, IMO, and is quite the edge case. Especially since a lot of cable providers are finally moving away from MPEG2, and onto h.264 (not nearly as fast as they should be moving, but that's the cable industry for you).

For example, I'm looking at my Comcast lineup on my "Prime 3", and there's only about 20 HD channels that are not using AVC/h.264. There are about 90 HD channels using AVC/h.264. The rest are SD channels using MPEG2. (roughly speaking, not counting those "music" channels, various movie/premium channels that I don't subscribe to, local community college channels that I ignore, and it's a bit confusing because Comcast repeats the entire lineup of channels twice, using two different channel orders, etc). Some of the MPEG2 "HD" channels appear to be 720, as well.

(slightly off topic, adding this up just now makes me realize how many channels Comcast has been giving me in pathetic SD quality. Ouch)

There are still a lot of cable providers that are still all-in on MPEG2, but even then, the average channel's bandwidth x 6 doesn't appear to max out a 100 meg ethernet connection.

I'm not trying to make excuses for anything, I'm honestly just trying to understand the situation. Do people actually anticipate 100 meg ethernet to be a bottleneck outside of edge cases?
I use Comcast as well.

Fortunately they have finally moved all ESPN channels to AVC [last year only one was AVC] in my area but locals are still mpeg2. For me that leaves three or four local HD channels that may have a college football game I will record. I typically record 8 games on a Saturday but the first four weeks may be more like 12 to see all the PAC 12 teams that week. In my past experience those OTA channels will hit the 20 mbps mark on occasion [range 12-18]. But I think comcast has added more compression since I really looked into it, so that may not be the case any longer? Also it would be rare to have more than two channels in that situation recording at the same time. So two tuners at 12-20 and four at 8-12 mbps still within 100 mbps range.

Currently have two primes on either side of central switch, each on another switch. But will put a prime 6 on the central switch for better traffic control, less traffic through the central switch and sell the originals to save power and improve signal integrity buy removing a switch from an upstairs TV. The WD mycloud is on the central switch now.

I know it seems almost laughable that they still distribute 480 content but that allows them to charge extra for HD. I expect comcast to want to charge more for 3.0 local and other content 3.0 and expect to try OTA tuner SD creates when available.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 am

OT...
Mediaman wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 pm
but locals are still mpeg2
There is at least one market that reportedly has started to transcode even the locals to H.264, presumably as part of their various delivery transitions.
I know it seems almost laughable that they still distribute 480 content but that allows them to charge extra for HD.
Actually, while the fees do matter (although less and less, see below), the more important issue is that it allows them to not have to replace (at least yet) the original SD only DTAs which are reportedly not capable of scaling the HD channels to SD (I believe the HD-DTAs can do (limited) scaling, although I have no idea about how they do the various video boxing if you output HD channels to the SD NTSC port). Someone recently posted a rather large estimate (accuracy was probably low as to the number) as to how many SD (only) boxes, including DTAs, that Comcast still has out in the field (often in places like the guest bedroom, or garages; last visit to the Comcast store I saw a person turning in a DCH70 unit). Since Comcast packs (around) 12-14 SD stations into a 6MHz channel, even if they eliminated all the SD stations for which they had HD equivalents they would only recover a few channels. It is probably not worth the equipment exchange just because they could do so at this time.

And, as most with a CableCARD know, in most markets the "HD Technology" fee is not required to receive HD programming (although in some markets there is a similarly named "HD Programming" fee, and in a few special markets the "HD Technology" fee actually does add programming (you have to (not) love regional differences in Comcast offerings)). It should also be noted that while not needed for pure OCUR/UDCP customers, most of Comcast's new bundles (again, market specific) include the "HD Technology" fee, so whether you need or not, you get it included, which is why some people don't even know about it anymore, and don't pay it individually (so the fee really matters less). And lastly, Comcast is starting to reorganize their entire fee structure (yet again), with the new rate card renaming of offerings suggesting things like the current streaming device options are finally coming out of beta. I have on my list of things to do to read the rate card in detail (and the rate card in a few other markets) to see if one can glean ways to optimize ones Comcast bills.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 am

“I have on my list of things to do to read the rate card in detail (and the rate card in a few other markets) to see if one can glean ways to optimize ones Comcast bills.”

Can you post a link to the Comcast rate cards for us mere mortals?

TIA