A list of 50 Inch Smart TV's that support HDHomerun would be great !!!!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
RF2016

A list of 50 Inch Smart TV's that support HDHomerun would be great !!!!

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Hello,

If anyone can provide info on 50-55 inch Smart TV models that support HDHomerun it would be greatly appreciated.
We are looking to buy a new Ultra HD Smart TV, but want to make sure it works with HDHomerun Prime/ Viewer

Thanks Again!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: A list of 50 Inch Smart TV's that support HDHomerun would be great !!!!

Post by signcarver » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:38 pm

If you really want just the TV, stick with an AndroidTV television (i.e. most sony's) but personally suggest not to rely on the tv for it's "smarts" and use a box (android, preferably a real AndroidTV, xbox one, or, if you don't care about DRM, a firetv)...though there is a roku app, i will NEVER recommend a roku for tv content (keep that for internet content meant for it)

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:53 pm

RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm
Hello,

If anyone can provide info on 50-55 inch Smart TV models that support HDHomerun it would be greatly appreciated.
We are looking to buy a new Ultra HD Smart TV, but want to make sure it works with HDHomerun Prime/ Viewer

Thanks Again!
The only ones I know of are the ones that run AndroidTV (mostly Sony*) and the FireTV Edition TVs sold mostly at Best Buy (as the previous poster mentioned FireTV does not have the capability to view DRM protected channels)

*My experience with Sony AndroidTVs are they are underpowered and are slow, Maybe some of the top tier price models are better?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Is DRM playback important? That would rule out the Fire TV Edition TVs.

Sony, Sharp, Philips, Skyworth, and Hisense have TVs running Android TV that presumably should work. I haven't used most of them enough to give a recommendation other than it's probably best to avoid any Sony TVs pre-2019 or the low-end 2019 models that use the MT5891 SoC, because they're very slow. The better 2019 models were supported to move to a new SoC that has significantly better performance.

There's always option B, ignore the smart features on the TV, buy based solely on picture quality, and add an Android TV box separately. There are rumors on the internet that Nvidia is going to release an updated Shield model later this year. I have no knowledge of this beyond the rumors, but if true that would probably become the new king of the hill for Android TV devices, and also make the 2017 model available at closeout prices if you buy at the right time.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Thank you both for the quick reply and information you have both have provided.
It seems difficult to find many Android TV's.

Should I trust FireTV/ or FireStick as my concern is that Amazon may turn around and terminate HDhomerun support at any time.

Overall I am looking to have DRM support on the TV.
From what I understand there are no many DRM Android Boxes out there other than Google's and the cost to me is not something I can conisder.

The model I have found that is an Android TV is Phillips...but I am not sure if it has DRM support.

Does the Sony support DRM protected channels? And the HDHomerun App?

I have purchase a Samsung 28 inch Smart small tv for my computer desk, and thought it would allow HDHomeRun View to be installed, and found out its a no go..it does support DLNA but it seems useless.

Thanks Again Guys!

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:08 pm

RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:03 pm
Thank you both for the quick reply and information you have both have provided.
It seems difficult to find many Android TV's.

Should I trust FireTV/ or FireStick as my concern is that Amazon may turn around and terminate HDhomerun support at any time.

Overall I am looking to have DRM support on the TV.
From what I understand there are no many DRM Android Boxes out there other than Google's and the cost to me is not something I can conisder.

The model I have found that is an Android TV is Phillips...but I am not sure if it has DRM support.

Does the Sony support DRM protected channels? And the HDHomerun App?

I have purchase a Samsung 28 inch Smart small tv for my computer desk, and thought it would allow HDHomeRun View to be installed, and found out its a no go..it does support DLNA but it seems useless.

Thanks Again Guys!
All official AndroidTV TVs and boxes can view DRM and support DRM viewing. The 3 boxes I know about are Nvidia Shield, MiBox, and Jetstream. Walmart usually will have Mibox or Jetstream.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi,

Thank you again for the info you providing me.
I had tried the Jetstream box and found it to be slow, and ended up returning it to Walmart. The MI box from my understanding doesn't have Ethernet port, and Wifi for me is choppy..
Its seems my optimal option is a smart tv that supports DRM and Ethernet...as $170+ for Nvidia Shield to me is a little nuts....I only have the need for DRM, and not gaming as the Shield provides...

I wish there were more Smart TV's that support HDHomerun....

My understanding is that there is no support for WebOS on smart TV's but did find an old posting in 2018 that says they were working on it, thinking they gave up on development though.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Sony, Sharp, Philips, Skyworth, and Hisense have TVs running Android TV that presumably should work. I haven't used most of them enough to give a recommendation other than it's probably best to avoid any Sony TVs pre-2019 or the low-end 2019 models that use the MT5891 SoC, because they're very slow. The better 2019 models were supported to move to a new SoC that has significantly better performance.

There's always option B, ignore the smart features on the TV, buy based solely on picture quality, and add an Android TV box separately. There are rumors on the internet that Nvidia is going to release an updated Shield model later this year. I have no knowledge of this beyond the rumors, but if true that would probably become the new king of the hill for Android TV devices, and also make the 2017 model available at closeout prices if you buy at the right time.
Hi,

Thank you for the info you are providing me.

I have been looking at the brands you have spoken of, but not sure if they support DRM, or even support HDhomerun view, even though they say Android TV's

Skyworth? I never heard of that brand...

Hisense, I am cautious of, as I am not familiar with it quality / reliability.

I have been looking at the Phillips at BJ's for $299 and it has Android 8.1

But also not sure if it support DRM either..

This is the model

Phillips
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/55PFL57 ... ifications

BJ's
https://www.bjs.com/product/philips-55p ... 0001509747

Surprisingly it supports bluetooth...no relevance to HD Homerun though.

On the DRM, there are a few channels we like that we cannot get on the Android boxes we have, the other TV is connected to a Verizon FIOS box.

In what you have mentioned about a New Google Shield I heard / read 5-6 months ago about the same thing.....there must be something to the news on it..

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:47 pm

RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 pm
jasonl wrote:

Hi,

I have been looking at the brands you have spoken of, but not sure if they support DRM, or even support HDhomerun view, even though they say Android TV's

This is the model

Phillips

BJ's

On the DRM, there are a few channels we like that we cannot get on the Android boxes we have, the other TV is connected to a Verizon FIOS box.

In what you have mentioned about a New Google Shield I heard / read 5-6 months ago about the same thing.....there must be something to the news on it..
Google doesn't make the Shield, Nvidia does. Google made nexus but discontinued it. If those TVs run "AndroidTV" they will work with DRM. AndroidTV (one word) has the HDHomerun APP and support DRM. AndroidTV is different than Android TV Box which usually refers to Chinese boxes that run the tablet version of Android and not AndroidTV. Android TV Boxes (not AndroidTV) that run Android typically will not support DRM due to not being designed to run on HDMI and not having a proper Google Play Store ((Google owns Android) no Google Play means not certified).

Usually name brands will have certified AndroidTV so I think it's safe to say it will work with that TV (Also States has Google Play Store)

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:47 pm
RF2016 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 pm
jasonl wrote:

Hi,

This is the model

Phillips

BJ's

Google doesn't make the Shield, Nvidia does. Google made nexus but discontinued it. If those TVs run "AndroidTV" they will work with DRM. AndroidTV (one word) has the HDHomerun APP and support DRM. AndroidTV is different than Android TV Box which usually refers to Chinese boxes that run the tablet version of Android and not AndroidTV. Android TV Boxes (not AndroidTV) that run Android typically will not support DRM due to not being designed to run on HDMI and not having a proper Google Play Store ((Google owns Android) no Google Play means not certified).

Usually name brands will have certified AndroidTV so I think it's safe to say it will work with that TV (Also States has Google Play Store)

Ah, Thank you for correcting me on the Shield, and who makes it.

So my understanding from what you have mentioned on the DRM, and AndroidTV's, is that any SmartTV that has Anndroid as the OS, will support DRM.

I had a long learning lesson over the last few years with my Android TV boxes and Windvine Level 1 and Level 3, what a pain!

You have eased my mind in hunting down an Android Smart TV, and the DRM aspects,
And it is much appreciated !!!

It helps me to know what specific brands to look for also.....

Thank You
My hunting continues on what model/ brand....

:)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm

The brands I listed all come from the official list at https://www.android.com/tv/ so they should be certified and support DRM content. Some of them like Sharp and Philips have just become available in the last couple months and are the first TVs running Android TV those companies have released in the US market, so there's not a lot of information out there on them. I can't recall seeing any positive or negative reports about them from any of our customers.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm
The brands I listed all come from the official list at https://www.android.com/tv/ so they should be certified and support DRM content. Some of them like Sharp and Philips have just become available in the last couple months and are the first TVs running Android TV those companies have released in the US market, so there's not a lot of information out there on them. I can't recall seeing any positive or negative reports about them from any of our customers.
Ah !!
Thank you !
The Official List is something I was looking for, for some time. as it helps a lot.

Now that you have provided me the link to supported brands, I can now research the TV's for features, and price.

You have helped a lot!
Thank You!

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 pm

I have an LG (Webos3?) and while there is no 'app' for it, the OS connects to my HDHR Prime via DLNA (it just discovers the device and shows all the favorite channels etc). It is a 'no frills' way to watch but it is VERY reliable (the TV is on Wifi) and the picture is INCREDIBLE. No DVR capability though.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:15 pm

jasonl wrote:

The 2018 Sony A9F OLED models run the MT5893 SoC and seem to work just fine with the HD app. I'm watching HBO on it right now and the menu runs smoothly and quickly.

RF2016

Post by RF2016 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 am

Keenan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:15 pm
jasonl wrote:

The 2018 Sony A9F OLED models run the MT5893 SoC and seem to work just fine with the HD app. I'm watching HBO on it right now and the menu runs smoothly and quickly.

Great info everyone has provided.
For me it seem the Sony's are past my budget, but they sure do seem to have excellent picture and support for HDHomerun...

LG, or the TV's that only support DNLA would not work for me, as I have family that is non-technical, and are too use to TV Guides...

Thank You