Moderator: TVJunkie198

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by NedS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:27 pm

leerandall wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:15 pm
Hi, djp952.

When playing back recordings, is there a way to set subtitles to default to ON? As it is now, for every recording I play back, I have to turn on subtitles. It doesn't remember that I had turned them on for the previously viewed recording. The routine is, I will start playback of a recording and have to immediately pause it (so I don't miss any of the show), then bring up the subtitles settings and turn on subtitles. I select subtitles track 1, then close out the settings dialog and resume playback and watch for subtitles to display. If they don't show up withing 5 to 10 seconds, I pause playback again, bring up the subtitles settings again and select subtitles track 2, close out of the settings dialog and resume playback. This routine is a big distraction at the beginning of every recording I play back.

Also, is there a way to also have it auto-select the subtitle track, 1 or 2, that actually contains the subtitle text, rather than making me try each until the text starts to display? Some shows, subtitles are on track 2, but most are on track 1.
Press and hold the down arrow when video is playing back. That will cycle the subtitle tracks.

You can also change subtitles to on by default by setting them on the settings dialog and then scrolling down to "save as default for all videos".

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm

This is on a Win 7 box using the keyboard only. The up/down arrow keys cause the video to jump multiple minutes forward or back. And the "save as default for all videos" does not appear to work. I've selected it over and over again to no avail. The next recording I play back, the subtitles are off again and I have to go through the routine again to turn them on.

tredman

Post by tredman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:13 am

djp952 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:06 am
tredman wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:37 am
Very happy to discover this addon!

Currently doing some testing on my Shield. Channels, EPG & viewing are working fine - but recordings are not. I cannot see any recordings in the Kodi location (testing with the android hdhomerun app shows they are there and I can view them), and any recordings scheduled in Kodi don't take place.

Any ideas on what I am missing?

Thanks for any help.
Hi! If the HDHomeRun app can see your recordings and this add-on can't, the likely reason is that it couldn't find your RECORD engine on the network.

If you go into the PVR add-on settings, under General, try enabling "Use network broadcast for device discovery". That option finds devices the same way the HDHomeRun app does.

The next version of the add-on switches over to this method by default, it's been a problem for some people all along to use the web-based discovery and now that you can have multiple RECORD engines running it's better at knowing when things have been turned on and off. The web-based one will list dead devices for up to 24 hours which can be a problem.

Please let us know if this fixes things!
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you, I've been working away all week.

This fixed it perfectly straight away. Thanks very much for the help and a great add-on.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 am

leerandall wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm
This is on a Win 7 box using the keyboard only. The up/down arrow keys cause the video to jump multiple minutes forward or back. And the "save as default for all videos" does not appear to work. I've selected it over and over again to no avail. The next recording I play back, the subtitles are off again and I have to go through the routine again to turn them on.
Ah, that's right, we didn't add it for PVR/DVR mode because some people liked to press and hold for channel switching. Sorry about that.

However, the "save default" not working is strange. I'll look into it and maybe file a bug report with the Kodi guys.

tredman

Post by tredman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:44 am

Edit - nvm, armhf version works fine 🤷‍♂️

Ok, new problem...

I am now switching over all my clients to this add-on and having difficulty with the 2 ARM Linux boxes (one a Vero 4k+ running osmc and one a wetek play 2 running coreelc)

Both report as aarch64 in Kodi system info, but when downloading the same add-on from your GitHub it installs but Kodi reports it as failed to enable after installation.

Any ideas?

jbinkley60

Post by jbinkley60 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:16 am

I run zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-linux-armhf-leia-2.0.4.7109.zip on my Vero 4K+ with OSMC and it installed just fine. I don't know if this version would make a difference.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am

djp952 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 pm
Alright sir, here's what I came up with for the Repeat indicator. LMK what you think. The only 'catch' to it is that it won't automatically propagate to EPG listings that Kodi already has, so turning the option ON or OFF would require a Guide reload to force the application of the indicator. Recordings will be updated real-time if the setting is changed.

If you think this will meet your needs, I can go ahead and merge it and implement it in the Krypton and Jarvis baselines. I can make a beta release available for Leia to you as well if you need it prior to the next release of the PVR addon.

edit: I shall correct the gammar in the setting help text - that should have said "its", not "it's" :)

Recordings - see fourth episode down in list on right

EPG - see episode title displayed at bottom of screen:

New setting (default is OFF):
Looking good buddy thank you for this. with regards to "I can make a beta release available for Leia to you as well if you need it prior to the next release of the PVR addon." I'm not quite sure what you mean, as in when kodi puts the update through? Whatever is easiest for you. I can be patient. Thanks again!

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:28 pm

Handful of replies since I basically ignored y'all this weekend :)
leerandall wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:15 pm
Hi, djp952.

When playing back recordings, is there a way to set subtitles to default to ON? As it is now, for every recording I play back, I have to turn on subtitles. It doesn't remember that I had turned them on for the previously viewed recording. The routine is, I will start playback of a recording and have to immediately pause it (so I don't miss any of the show), then bring up the subtitles settings and turn on subtitles. I select subtitles track 1, then close out the settings dialog and resume playback and watch for subtitles to display. If they don't show up withing 5 to 10 seconds, I pause playback again, bring up the subtitles settings again and select subtitles track 2, close out of the settings dialog and resume playback. This routine is a big distraction at the beginning of every recording I play back.

Also, is there a way to also have it auto-select the subtitle track, 1 or 2, that actually contains the subtitle text, rather than making me try each until the text starts to display? Some shows, subtitles are on track 2, but most are on track 1.
Unfortunately, audio stream and subtitle selection are 100% controlled by Kodi. There isn't anything I can do in the PVR to change its behavior, but I think going through the Kodi System/Audio settings may reveal the settings you are looking for? Here at chez djp952, the "Set as default" option does work for us in Kodi, it's odd that it doesn't for you but I am by no means a Kodi expert.
tredman wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:44 am
Edit - nvm, armhf version works fine 🤷‍♂️

Ok, new problem...

I am now switching over all my clients to this add-on and having difficulty with the 2 ARM Linux boxes (one a Vero 4k+ running osmc and one a wetek play 2 running coreelc)

Both report as aarch64 in Kodi system info, but when downloading the same add-on from your GitHub it installs but Kodi reports it as failed to enable after installation.

Any ideas?
Some *nix systems, OSMC is one, I assume Vero 4K is another, have a 64-bit kernel but use 32-bit userspace applications like Kodi. It's actually quite difficult to find any systems that would require the linux-aarch64 build, I don't even have one available that runs Leia. Ubuntu on an ODROID-C2 can run Krypton only without building Leia yourself, for example.

Stick with the build that works for you -- linux-armhf is going to be marginally faster in your case, but linux-armel is likely the safest bet. In order of best to worst, try linux-aarch64, then linux-armhf, then linux-armel. I believe in your case (as mentioned above) linux-armhf should be OK for you.
mrfrankmrfrank wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am
Looking good buddy thank you for this. with regards to "I can make a beta release available for Leia to you as well if you need it prior to the next release of the PVR addon." I'm not quite sure what you mean, as in when kodi puts the update through? Whatever is easiest for you. I can be patient. Thanks again!
Great! The changeset has been committed. Sometimes when there are new or potentially problematic things I try to cut a build and stick it somewhere that people can get to it "unofficially". This way you can actually play with the change(s) and make sure they work for you before forcing it upon everyone. These are always "go here and download the .zip file" scenarios, auto-update only lists the formal builds (no matter how good/bad they end up, but I do try to make sure they meet certain quality standards - lol)

dugiehowsa

Post by dugiehowsa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 am

I have been having a weird issues where randomly all text will disappear from the KODI UI. The only reason I am posting it here is because it seems to happen after the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr add-on generates a large amount of errors. Not sure if they are related, but I figured I would check here to see if anyone has any insight.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=344992

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 am

dugiehowsa wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 am
I have been having a weird issues where randomly all text will disappear from the KODI UI. The only reason I am posting it here is because it seems to happen after the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr add-on generates a large amount of errors. Not sure if they are related, but I figured I would check here to see if anyone has any insight.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=344992
Replied over there as well for you. I don't think the two conditions would be related, but it's always possible that there is a defect in the addon that is leading Kodi to a bad place over time.

The tons of EPG failures mean that the addon shut down EPG functions due to a previous error, once it fails it stops trying for a while to avoid slamming SiliconDust's backend services over and over again. The idea was to stop Kodi after an HTTP 403, but the way it worked out after I made the EPG load multiplexed led to it pretty much stopping from any error. I have a couple related "backlog" items to work on to make this better:
  • Rework how "EPG disable" functions -- it's too harsh and can happen for any error, not just HTTP 403
  • Reset the HTTP state and retry any backend query that fails due to "Malformed JSON"
One thing I think I can add to that list would be to "Return success code to Kodi if EPG is disabled to avoid log spam". I shouldn't need to send back an error, if I say it worked but send back no data I'm pretty sure Kodi will still ask for it again. If that is the case I can get rid of the spam.

What I will do short-term is simulate massive EPG failures while hooked up to the debugger and make sure that I'm not leaking memory or trashing anything in this case. I don't think I am, the function just says "NO" and does nothing at all, but this way I can also see if it's causing any obvious heartache inside Kodi. I recently sent in a PR to Kodi that fixes my ability to use a tool called Application Verifier that (on Windows) that does an excellent job of pointing out non-obvious things like memory leaks. So far I've found no defects in the PVR but I have been exercising it from a different perspective.

I'll let you know if I can duplicate this or find anything that looks suspicious in either the PVR addon or Kodi.

dugiehowsa

Post by dugiehowsa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:59 am

djp952 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 am
I'll let you know if I can duplicate this or find anything that looks suspicious in either the PVR addon or Kodi.
Thanks for taking a look. I haven't had much luck in tracking down the cause of the issue, and it just happened again last weekend, but for some reason, I didn't capture the time frame in the kodi.log file.

I have disabled the addon for now, and if the issue re-occurs now, we know we can rule out the addon from causing this issue.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:26 am

By the way, around the time when you posted your issue, cloudflare was having issues (502 errors most of the time connecting to anything related to SD and others) so it would not surprise me that it was having issues at that time.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 am

The cloudflare problem was amusing, it happened as I was clicking SUBMIT on my post above, I thought I finally managed to accidentally take out SD :)

Reason for posting: I found the basic problem with auto-update on OSMC, it makes an assumption that the remote site is capable of generating SHA256 hashes on it's own like mirrors.kodi.tv does, but since the GitHub storage can't do that it's reading the .zip file again and trying to use that as a SHA256 hash. Not certain why it's doing this, the OSMC code appears unmodified from the stock Kodi code. What it should be doing is realize there is no automatic hash and go out and get the file I provide with that hash code. More as I have it, I'm thinking it's a cURL option they have set.

edit: I see the bug in OSMC, it's in one of their patch files. I'll see if I can suggest a fix for them, there will be no way for me to fix this in the PVR.

Also, for dugiehowsa, I found nothing I could point to in the PVR that could cause your issue. The only memory leaks I was able to detect are when the DirectX system (Windows only) is shutting down in Kodi, and when SQLite is shutting down since I have an "automatic extension" set up, there are a couple benign, very very small, memory leaks there. All of this only occurs when the system is unloading anyway, not while it's running. I see that at least one other Kodi user has the same problem you do, didn't sound like they are using this PVR.

If I find anything that might help, I'll let you know. I think this is squarely a Kodi-level concern, but as time allows I don't mind poking around Kodi at all.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:09 pm

OSMC auto-update concern has been opened as an Issue on their GitHub, we'll see what they say about it. I provided a couple suggestions but don't want to take this as far as submitting a PR for them, I've never been able to get OSMC to build so I'd have no way to verify the changes I made.

https://github.com/osmc/osmc/issues/517

djp952

Post by djp952 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:43 pm

djp952 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:09 pm
OSMC auto-update concern has been opened as an Issue on their GitHub, we'll see what they say about it. I provided a couple suggestions but don't want to take this as far as submitting a PR for them, I've never been able to get OSMC to build so I'd have no way to verify the changes I made.

https://github.com/osmc/osmc/issues/517
Very happy to report that Mr. Sam Nazarko himself took care of this for us and the next OSMC release will allow the PVR addon to auto-update. I confirmed it -- he told me how to access the in-progress build and it worked flawlessly afterwards.