HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rk333

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by rk333 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

GGRussell wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 am
rk333 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am
This includes SD and HD channels and also DRM channels (HBO, ESPN).
you can check the Prime's internal web page to see what is actually DRM or not. I have Charter/Spectrum with 12 different HBO channels. Only ONE has DRM on it.
Thanks all for the education, very helpful. What was actually going on was far more whacky and on Optimum's end completely. I was getting all the same results through the Win10 app as well. When checking the channel status, I actually didn't see anything marked DRM, but Ii was missing a whole bunch of channels entirely. After calling support to trouble troubleshoot and rescan i got all my channels. But it wasn't that i just got all the DRM channels in the scan. Channels like HBO that previously did not have the DRM tag for me, do have one now. So i was previously able to stream to the roku app, now disabled as I was originally expecting. Super interesting how CCI flags flipped based on Optimum's shenanigans. Will keep kicking the tires and await the next build of the app.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:19 pm

famu97 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:01 pm
I have two models of HDhomerun tuners on my network. I have the HDhomerun Extend-2 ( HDTC-2US) and i have the HDhomerun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US. Both my Roku TV and my hdhomerun tuners are connected to my network via ethernet cable
Try unplugging the Dual and seeing if it works. The current beta does not attempt to ignore incompatible devices. The next beta will correct that, but for now you have to force it by only letting it see the EXTEND.

famu97

Post by famu97 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:19 pm
famu97 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:01 pm
I have two models of HDhomerun tuners on my network. I have the HDhomerun Extend-2 ( HDTC-2US) and i have the HDhomerun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US. Both my Roku TV and my hdhomerun tuners are connected to my network via ethernet cable
Try unplugging the Dual and seeing if it works. The current beta does not attempt to ignore incompatible devices. The next beta will correct that, but for now you have to force it by only letting it see the EXTEND.
That worked. It's tuning now. It's tunes slow but it works. Mark as SOLVED

Thanks

Noah0504

Post by Noah0504 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:18 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:30 pm
I have a theory about why Comcast channels have problems and engineering is going to look into it. It may not be something that can be fixed on our side since ultimately it would be a bug in the Roku player, but if it is what I think it is we can report it to Roku and tell them exactly what's wrong and provide samples, and give them the opportunity to fix it.
Jason, not sure if this is completely related, but I stumbled upon this post over at the Plex Forums after I noticed I was having trouble playing a few channels from my HDHR Prime (I am not a Comcast customer, but the users who originally posted was). Plex was telling me it was unable to "tune" the channel and they wouldn't play in the new beta HDHR app on Roku either.

They have since release an update for Plex Media Server that fixed the issue, and I can confirm that it indeed work. I can now play these channels in Plex. It looks like others have reported the same.

Just posting as it might be of some help.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/live-tv-fails- ... /394763/63

crb_rigger

Post by crb_rigger » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm

I currently have a CONNECT QUATRO (HDHR5-4US). I currently run Windows 7 Media Center. My Echo finally died. Wil the Roku beta work with this setup? Or does it require the DVR service?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Has nothing to do with WMC if that is what you are asking... I believe currently it doesn't even support the DVR.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm

The Roku beta is live TV only and streams directly from the HDHomeRun (no interaction with the HDHomeRun DVR, WMC, or anything else).

wlieber

Post by wlieber » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 pm

cyaggie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 pm
whmaurer wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 pm
Excited about this! I've been using a Plex server, but it seems to add some additional latency and uses extra resources on my server, so I'm glad to cut out the middleman.

One note: to get this to work on my Roku Premiere+ 2016 (4630X), I had to change the audio settings on my Roku because the default settings (stereo/PCM) weren't working. The settings that worked for me are as follows:

Audio mode: Auto
HDMI: Dolby Digital
Thank you for posting this. It solved my issue. I am so happy now.
I have same issue with an older Toshiba REGZA TV (40RF350U) and HomeRun Connect Duo.
Great picture, but no audio /HDMI connection. Tried all the audio settings as suggested, but still no audio.
Understand this is a known issue with AC3 decoding with some older TV models, but a couple follow up questions....
The same configuration works with Amazon FireStick - video and audio - does Firestick decode audio differently?
Would HDMI Audio extractor fix the issue?

Thanks for your suggestions - I would really prefer to get Roku working as I prefer Roku UI and remote vs. FireStick.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:18 am

wlieber wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 pm
...The same configuration works with Amazon FireStick - video and audio - does Firestick decode audio differently?
Fire TV/Stick handles AC3 - Roku Does Not:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire- ... tions.html

Not sure how that would help - if you extract the AC3 audio stream, you still have an AC3 Audio Stream none of your equipment (except your Fire Stick) can do anything with. If you have something that plays (or transcodes) AC3 Audio intercept the audio stream before it gets to the TV (that can't do anything with it), you're golden until you discover the Roku Bug where the lips and the sound of the words live in separate zip codes.
Thanks for your suggestions - I would really prefer to get Roku working as I prefer Roku UI and remote vs. FireStick.
Easy:
1) Buy a new TV/Sound Bar/System that handles AC3.
2) Buy another Fire Stick (way cheaper than a new TV, I imagine) - NOT the 4K as it has a whole toolbox full of other issues (including a bug wherein the lips and the sound of the words live in separate zip codes):
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=70081&p=346340#p346340

At my house everything from HDHR tuner equipment is injected into my Plex Ecosystem - where Plex transcodes anything that doesn't work into something that will work. Everything's fine until Plex detonates for some reason (often) requiring more work-arounds, generating much sadness.

[removed by moderator]

rhendrix9

Post by rhendrix9 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:31 pm

I have a premiere and Samsung and Roku TV
Typically a channel will play 1,5, or 10 minutes then go back to the selection screen, is this just a demo mode ?
i record using WMC and the only problems i have is when there is bad weather and then it only breaks up.

I use WMC so I haven't really explored the hdhomerun app, Is there a way to select which channels you want to display? Don't want to wade through all the junk channels.

gregwa

Post by gregwa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:14 am

Duster911 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm
I have partial video on connect quad.
It's almost as if it zooms from top left of image the top 1/4 of what should be visible.

No audio heard. *Update* switched audio on Roku to Dolby digital, now have audio.. image is still messed up.

HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO
Model: HDHR5-4US
Device ID: 1077762B
Firmware: 20190417

Roku: model 3900rw - Roku express
Tested on auto screen size
1080p
And 720p
My TV is 1080
I have the same equipment setup and same problem. This is a problem either with the HDHomeRun app OR the Roku Media app.
Very frustrating!
I purchased this to view in the living room on the Roku. Totally unusable.

tracy1718

Post by tracy1718 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:20 am

I had no problems with the Roku channel install and changing the default Roku audio setting from PCM stereo to Dolby dts gave me audio playback. But, I've done everything I can think of in settings to correct an aspect ratio problem that gives me a picture that appears to be "zoomed" to the top of the screen. I'm using a Roku Express ( with latest software update), two Connect Duos attached to separate antennas and have tried the Roku Express on both a Samsung and TCL tv. (Of course, my Fire Stick has no problems on either tv.)

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm

crb_rigger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm
My Echo finally died.
I just picked up one on eBay brand new for under $90. There are good deals on used ones there...
Seems silly, but better spent (so far) than the $60 on the Silicon Dust DVR Kickstarter... (I need DRM)...

CEG3

Post by CEG3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:21 pm

I am finding the picture on the channels I get OTA look very nice on Roku, maybe better than fire TV. I have on strong local station that won't load and if I keep trying it will load and play for a few seconds. I'm wonder if stations have opted out, but I have no idea. This is a station that should come in.

wlieber

Post by wlieber » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:31 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:18 am
wlieber wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 pm
...The same configuration works with Amazon FireStick - video and audio - does Firestick decode audio differently?
Fire TV/Stick handles AC3 - Roku Does Not:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire- ... tions.html

Not sure how that would help - if you extract the AC3 audio stream, you still have an AC3 Audio Stream none of your equipment (except your Fire Stick) can do anything with. If you have something that plays (or transcodes) AC3 Audio intercept the audio stream before it gets to the TV (that can't do anything with it), you're golden until you discover the Roku Bug where the lips and the sound of the words live in separate zip codes.
Easy:
1) Buy a new TV/Sound Bar/System that handles AC3.
2) Buy another Fire Stick (way cheaper than a new TV, I imagine) - NOT the 4K as it has a whole toolbox full of other issues (including a bug wherein the lips and the sound of the words live in separate zip codes):
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=70081&p=346340#p346340

At my house everything from HDHR tuner equipment is injected into my Plex Ecosystem - where Plex transcodes anything that doesn't work into something that will work. Everything's fine until Plex detonates for some reason (often) requiring more work-arounds, generating much sadness.

[removed by moderator]
Thanks for the response. I'm getting used to using the FireStick and all is good.