Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
NedS
Silicondust

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by NedS » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:02 am

signcarver wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 pm
They have said it was upgradable...the issue is 7mm height so most above 2TB won't work (supposedly there is a 7mm 4TB drive but i haven't seen it on stock (or at least at a decent price, and i generally don't like ssd's for dvr and there supposedly are some larger ssd's)

The info for such was at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70590&p=336682

Which now says it got moved to the "info" pages however the link there is broke but one can click the navigation menu for the servio/scribe there.
Oops, fixed.

As you can see, we're trying to round up the documentation on a nice site instead of having everything spread out of on the forum :D

I hope to get a SCRIBE/SERVIO FAQ up soon as well. While a lot of it is still taking shape, feel free to suggest anything in particular anyone thinks we should cover there.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Random questions (perhaps for the revised info site?)

* Does the servio/scribe mount the xfs filesystem with an allocsize for (primarily) video files? While the results can vary dramatically based on device memory, and access patterns, I have found that the dynamic allocator is not always optimal for video files (I tend to use either 512m or 1g), although for full filesystems this can have some disadvantages.

* Is there any way on the servio/scribe to request a xfs_repair, and to optionally force a zero'ing of the log with "-L" when the log is broken?. Yes, often the xfs file system is badly broken at that point, but I suspect some people will want to be able to give recovery a try before (as a last resort) formatting the drive and starting again.

* What are the vertical separation requirements for the servio/scribe for proper cooling? In particular, I would expect that for worst case use one would not want to stack the devices immediately on on top of the other, so how tall do the spacers need to be?

* Will the record_engine start to delete older log files (soon-ish)? Or will there be an option not to write the log files at all (since there is no way for a customer to access the log files on the servio/scribe (well, no way without some hard drive extraction, unless the record engine is going to actually start to allow display of logs files in the gui)). While I have written various cron and systemd .timer tasks to delete old log files, that is likely less viable on the embedded devices.

CubsWin

Post by CubsWin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm

When there are multiple devices in play (Scribe + Servio, etc.), is the interface seamless to the user when browsing and playing recordings? Or does the user need to navigate and manage each drive separately?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm

The client should see each tuner/dvr engine through broadcast discovery and from that retrieve the channel lineup from the tuners and the recorded files from the dvr engines thus entirely seamless to user. I don't know of any official clients that present such by device/engine.

Only things i can think of in the official apps that may not be as perfectly seamless is that each engine "could" be used for live and there "may" be a chance that multiple clients end up using multiple tuners as it did live from a different engine and the other is possibly needing to restart an engine if there are lineup changes (the engine usually checks about every hour and could take up to 2 hours to sync up... as such it is also possible that because of such a client may try to play a channel through an engine that doesnt know where to find such channel).

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm
Only things i can think of ....
I would expect there will likely be a number of uncommon edge cases which will surprise at least some of the people some of the time. Software is never finished, it just escapes out to the beta channel.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 am

CubsWin wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:20 pm
When there are multiple devices in play (Scribe + Servio, etc.), is the interface seamless to the user when browsing and playing recordings? Or does the user need to navigate and manage each drive separately?
Seamless... the UI shows the super-set of all recording storage.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 am

gtb wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:53 pm
* Does the servio/scribe mount the xfs filesystem with an allocsize for (primarily) video files? While the results can vary dramatically based on device memory, and access patterns, I have found that the dynamic allocator is not always optimal for video files (I tend to use either 512m or 1g), although for full filesystems this can have some disadvantages.
The SCRIBE and SERVIO are designed for real-time multi-stream recording and playback which is a little different to how most servers are optimized. Write fragmentation is normal and helps write performance.
gtb wrote:
* Is there any way on the servio/scribe to request a xfs_repair, and to optionally force a zero'ing of the log with "-L" when the log is broken?. Yes, often the xfs file system is badly broken at that point, but I suspect some people will want to be able to give recovery a try before (as a last resort) formatting the drive and starting again.
The SCRIBE and SERVIO support log replay/recovery at startup. We haven't seen XFS get into a state where automatic recovery wasn't possible.
gtb wrote:
* What are the vertical separation requirements for the servio/scribe for proper cooling? In particular, I would expect that for worst case use one would not want to stack the devices immediately on on top of the other, so how tall do the spacers need to be?
Stacking is fine - the metal base won't be sitting directly on top due to the assembly spacers. The only thing that comes to mind is you could stick on rubber feet to prevent things from sliding around.
gtb wrote:
* Will the record_engine start to delete older log files (soon-ish)? Or will there be an option not to write the log files at all (since there is no way for a customer to access the log files on the servio/scribe (well, no way without some hard drive extraction, unless the record engine is going to actually start to allow display of logs files in the gui)). While I have written various cron and systemd .timer tasks to delete old log files, that is likely less viable on the embedded devices.
SCRIBE and SERVIO don't keep log files on disk.
I will chase up regarding the record engine.

Nick

simas

Post by simas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 pm

I searched this topic for "264" and it returned no hits so I would ask the question - are new products Scribe Quatro and Scribe Duo transcode the stream as H264?

I currently have HDTC-2US which my understanding does H264 streaming right now , would moving to Scribe Quatro/Duo be the same in terms of tuner functionality, improvement , or would that means going from H264 -> MPEG2 coded streams? If this is already covered in FAQ somewhere, please let me know . thank you

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:45 pm

simas wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 pm
I searched this topic for "264" and it returned no hits so I would ask the question - are new products Scribe Quatro and Scribe Duo transcode the stream as H264?

I currently have HDTC-2US which my understanding does H264 streaming right now , would moving to Scribe Quatro/Duo be the same in terms of tuner functionality, improvement , or would that means going from H264 -> MPEG2 coded streams? If this is already covered in FAQ somewhere, please let me know . thank you
SCRIBE records the broadcast format without transcoding.

If you use SCRIBE or SERVIO to record from the HDTC model the video format will be what you set in the HDTC configuration (native, heavy, or mobile).

Nick

simas

Post by simas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Thank you Nick

So keeping existing HDTC model and just getting a Servio would return whatever HDTC outputs (currently set to "Heavy"), correct? Which is H264 encoded content, correct?

Replacing HDTC-2 tuner model with Scribe Quatro would record whatever Quatro produces, correct? what format(s) would it be recorded as? H265, H264, MPEG2, etc?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:02 pm

simas wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm
So keeping existing HDTC model and just getting a Servio would return whatever HDTC outputs (currently set to "Heavy"), correct? Which is H264 encoded content, correct?
Correct - the SERVIO will record the "heavy" format from the HDTC which is h264 format (720p60 or 1080i60 for HD channels).
simas wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm
Replacing HDTC-2 tuner model with Scribe Quatro would record whatever Quatro produces, correct? what format(s) would it be recorded as? H265, H264, MPEG2, etc?
USA antenna = MPEG2 format.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Hey just wondering Nick
Q1: With one HDHomeRun Scribe Duo/Quatro how many reg HDHomeRun Connect Duo or Connect Quatro can be add to it ?
Q2: With one HDHomeRun Scribe Duo/Quatro how many reg HDHomeRun Servio (2TB) can be add to it ?.
Q3: Is a Roku app coming

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:25 pm

shspvr wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:13 pm
Hey just wondering Nick
Q1: With one HDHomeRun Scribe Duo/Quatro how many reg HDHomeRun Connect Duo or Connect Quatro can be add to it ?
Q2: With one HDHomeRun Scribe Duo/Quatro how many reg HDHomeRun Servio (2TB) can be add to it ?.
You can have any number of HDHomeRun devices on the network...

Each SCRIBE can record up to 4 things at once (from its own tuners or from other HDHomeRun tuners).
Each SERVIO can record up to 6 things at once from HDHomeRun tuners (including CONNECT and SCRIBE).

If you have a CONNECT Quatro and a SCRIBE Duo for example you can record 4 channels at once (SCRBE record limit), increasing to 6 channels at once (the number of tuners) if you add a SERVIO.
Add another CONNECT Quatro and now you can record 10 channels at once.

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm

nickk wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:25 pm
shspvr wrote:
Hey just wondering Nick

Each SCRIBE can record up to 4 things at once (from its own tuners or from other HDHomeRun tuners).
Each SERVIO can record up to 6 things at once from HDHomeRun tuners (including CONNECT and SCRIBE).

If you have a CONNECT Quatro and a SCRIBE Duo for example you can record 4 channels at once (SCRBE record limit), increasing to 6 channels at once (the number of tuners) if you add a SERVIO.
Ok
And what how many Servio can be add as each one become full
Let say the goal for (1) HDHomeRun Scribe Quatro plus (1) Connect Quatro and (2) Servio for now then grow up to (6) Servio given us total space of about 13TB give or take.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:08 pm

shspvr wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm
nickk wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:25 pm
shspvr wrote:
Hey just wondering Nick

Ok
And what how many Servio can be add as each one become full
Let say the goal for (1) HDHomeRun Scribe Quatro plus (1) Connect Quatro and (2) Servio for now then grow up to (6) Servio given us total space of about 13TB give or take.
In theory, it's only limited by how many devices and how much traffic your network can handle. If only a small handful (four or five people, so maybe 10 or so streams at any given time when counting playback and possibly recording) of viewers are active at any one time, dozens of SERVIOs could be connected to a single consumer gig ethernet network without issue. Any bottlenecks in that set up could be solved by simply upgrading the network equipment to handle a larger load.