HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cell21633

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by cell21633 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:31 pm

First: Thanks SD for finally getting a Roku app out in the ecosystem. I have an entertainment center set up at my family's home and had to frustratingly setup a full NAS and Plex Media Server complement to get this on the big screen (NAS was going to be there anyway). I did eventually purchase an Nvidia Shield for almost the sole purpose of native HDHR support. Let me tell you, it is a bear maintaining my own systems. I cannot even fathom how to manage the different APIs of the ecosystems SD needs to support to get it to run on different devices.

Second: Would eventually love to see feature parity with the mobile phone apps, with DRM support of course! :lol: My family barely knows how to power on the entertainment equipment, and are fairly content with playing the audio thru the projector's internal 10 watt speaker. :roll: Would be wonderful for a native Roku app instead of navigating thru the god-awful Plex system.

Third: It is working with a Roku 3 and HDHR Prime! Of course, there are still issues with the Prime, such as some non-DRM channels not playing streams (buffers, then returns to the guide), but for the most part it seems the basics are up and running (channel guide, streaming, etc). I too had the question of why certain TV's could not play AC3 streams since it's part of the native ATSC stream anyway. Seems like that was answered a few posts back. Interesting, I thought manufacturer's paid on a per-device license, not on a per-port license.

Will the app automatically bump out of beta once a full release is pushed? Or would we need to download that separately? This is the first time I've loaded a beta app into my Roku.

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 pm

I think I found a solution to bypass my parents old Samsung TV audio. Thought I'd post it here in case it helps.
An HDMI Audio Extractor was suggested earlier, but it wouldn't work for my setup, since the optical port of the soundbar is being used for other devices. I stumbled upon this AE on amazon that states it supports Dolby Digital through Digital Coax, which is free on the soundbar. No idea if it actually works, but I ordered it, so we will see. Hopefully this helps some of us that are stuck with Samsungs that don't play audio!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1 ... UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Initial testing is looking like this won't work. I get other Roku sounds, but no audio in the app. It's almost as if the device won't decode Dolby Digital like it says. Disappointing.
Last edited by spocoeric on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:30 pm

I have a theory about why Comcast channels have problems and engineering is going to look into it. It may not be something that can be fixed on our side since ultimately it would be a bug in the Roku player, but if it is what I think it is we can report it to Roku and tell them exactly what's wrong and provide samples, and give them the opportunity to fix it.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:32 am

jasonl wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:30 pm
I have a theory about why Comcast channels have problems and engineering is going to look into it. It may not be something that can be fixed on our side since ultimately it would be a bug in the Roku player, but if it is what I think it is we can report it to Roku and tell them exactly what's wrong and provide samples, and give them the opportunity to fix it.
FYI I went down this route last year and sent them samples which reproduce the issue. My hunch is the SCTE tags in the PMT are not being handled. My bug report was assigned the number FW-23505 and they said it was on their schedule to look at by Fall 2019.

kr18064

Post by kr18064 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm

kr18064 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:45 pm
Just found out about the Roku Private Channel and added it. The video is working however I'm not getting any audio. I've tried changing my Roku audio settings to all different options and nothing seems to enable the audio. Also just updated to the 20190417 firmware but that didn't change anything for me.

Thoughts?
UPDATE: After more testing, the audio works on my Samsung TV but apparently doesn't work with a 10 year old Sharp TV. I've gone through all the audio settings on the Roku device but still now sound.

Any ideas?

TobyWiddows

Post by TobyWiddows » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:33 am

Hi,
So i installed the app on my Roku express (software version 9+), when i run the app it does not detect any devices. I have a UK model Connect 4.

It it limited to the US at the moment?

is there a way to manually specifiy an IP address in the app for the homerun?

Do i need the homerun software installed on another computer?

There appears to be a small bug on the screen that comes up when it does not detect any devices. no matter what i select, if i press "OK", nothing happens, but if i select something and press the "Back" button it behaves like the "OK" button.

TIA

Toby

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 am

kr18064 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm
kr18064 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:45 pm
Just found out about the Roku Private Channel and added it. The video is working however I'm not getting any audio. I've tried changing my Roku audio settings to all different options and nothing seems to enable the audio. Also just updated to the 20190417 firmware but that didn't change anything for me.

Thoughts?
UPDATE: After more testing, the audio works on my Samsung TV but apparently doesn't work with a 10 year old Sharp TV. I've gone through all the audio settings on the Roku device but still now sound.

Any ideas?
Read the thread. It has been discussed already. Your TV must be able to decode Dolby Digital audio or there will be no sound. No Roku is capable of decode such audio.

rk333

Post by rk333 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am

Just adding my results in case its helpful. Overall - far far better than advertised for me.

HDHR Prime
Optimum (Fairfield County CT)
Roku Premiere 4620x with old Vizio E series/ TCL Roku tv (3 yr old model, dont remember specifics off hand)

The prime totally works for me. This includes SD and HD channels and also DRM channels (HBO, ESPN). When it works, picture/sound mostly indistinguishable from cable box. Not all channels work. No discernible pattern i can see between what works/doesn't. HBO works, CNN doesn't for example. Happy to send diagnostics details if helpful to anyone.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 am

rk333 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am
This includes SD and HD channels and also DRM channels (HBO, ESPN).
you can check the Prime's internal web page to see what is actually DRM or not. I have Charter/Spectrum with 12 different HBO channels. Only ONE has DRM on it.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am

I would be surprised that DRM actually works in this app (SD would be having a heart attack if it does). More than likely that the channels you think is DRM protected are actually not DRM channels and the channels that don't work are actually DRM protected. When I was on Cox, CNN was copy-protected IIRC.

famu97

Post by famu97 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:21 pm

I can't get any channels to tune from the Roku app on my Roku TV. it's running Roku 9.0.0 build 4151-30. I have a TCP75C807. every channel I try to tune says "Retrieving" but nothing ever tunes and plays. The app finds my tuners and I can see the guide but again, no channels are tunning and playing back. I have two dual HDHomerun tuners on my network. My HDHomerun apps playback fine on Fire TV and Plex. Any help here is appreciated.

RunningGiant

Post by RunningGiant » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Thank you for this app. I'm currently running it on a Roku Stick 3600X and it works pretty well. I do get occasional hard locks when viewing live ota that require the plug to be pulled. Is there a way for me to create a log file or anything so I could share info (not sure if it's hardware or software problem)? Thanks for all the hard work!

Edit: it looks like it's related to mpeg2 decoding. When I enabled the "heavy" transcoding option on my extend, I was able to watch about 2 hours without any system locks (and still going). With no transcoding, I get a system lock after 5-15 minutes.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:41 pm

famu97 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:21 pm
I can't get any channels to tune from the Roku app on my Roku TV. it's running Roku 9.0.0 build 4151-30. I have a TCP75C807. every channel I try to tune says "Retrieving" but nothing ever tunes and plays. The app finds my tuners and I can see the guide but again, no channels are tunning and playing back. I have two dual HDHomerun tuners on my network. My HDHomerun apps playback fine on Fire TV and Plex. Any help here is appreciated.
Which model HDHomeRun devices? Note that the old Dual models are not supported; you must have an HDHomeRun model that supports HTTP tuning (all the CONNECT models, EXTEND, EXPAND, and PRIME (non-DRM channels only, and Comcast is not compatible due to what we suspect is a Roku bug)).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:44 pm

RunningGiant wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm
Thank you for this app. I'm currently running it on a Roku Stick 3600X and it works pretty well. I do get occasional hard locks when viewing live ota that require the plug to be pulled. Is there a way for me to create a log file or anything so I could share info (not sure if it's hardware or software problem)? Thanks for all the hard work!

Edit: it looks like it's related to mpeg2 decoding. When I enabled the "heavy" transcoding option on my extend, I was able to watch about 2 hours without any system locks (and still going). With no transcoding, I get a system lock after 5-15 minutes.
That would be a hardware problem with the Roku device. There's nothing that would be loggable at the app level for that.

famu97

Post by famu97 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:01 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:41 pm
famu97 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:21 pm
Which model HDHomeRun devices? Note that the old Dual models are not supported; you must have an HDHomeRun model that supports HTTP tuning (all the CONNECT models, EXTEND, EXPAND, and PRIME (non-DRM channels only, and Comcast is not compatible due to what we suspect is a Roku bug)).
I have two models of HDhomerun tuners on my network. I have the HDhomerun Extend-2 ( HDTC-2US) and i have the HDhomerun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US. Both my Roku TV and my hdhomerun tuners are connected to my network via ethernet cable