Pause/Resume Intermittant, Windows 10

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Pause/Resume Intermittant, Windows 10

Post by dcalder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Windows 10 Pro 1903 (latest update)
Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 131A7D9D
Firmware: 20190603beta1
Latest DVR server software.

There seems to be a conflict between the Homerun UI client and the native media controls on my Windows PC when trying to Pause and Resume with the keyboard media controls. The mouse works fine. The other keyboard media controls also seem to work fine (forward/back/volume), though my suspicion of the problem source below could still be affecting these keyboard controls, but just not causing a noticeable effect.

The problem is that when I try to pause a show, most of the time (not always), the keypress is ignored except for a short blip in video and audio. Both the PC control and the Homerun control dialogs appear (as usual) and the Homerun status bar toggles the status (between pause and run) on the screen, but the show does not pause (or resume).

My keyboard media controls work correctly 100% of the time on the old Homerun UI.

Using the mouse on either dialog box controls (Homerun or native PC media controls) will work 100% of the time on the new UI.

This only happens on some, but most, recordings and live TV. When it works, it works through the entire show, when it doesn't work, it does not work through the entire show.

What appears to be happening is that the pause/control code is being sent through both the Homerun UI and the native PC media control at the same time. Since the control is a toggle, the PC will simultaneously toggle back to its previous state. The Homerun UI thinks it did its job and changes the state on the control status line, even though nothing happens. It doesn't make a difference if I rapidly press the pause/resume (trying to trick it into a toggle with command latency). It seems very odd that this works properly on a few shows, so I leave it to the experts to determine the real situation.

Thanks and love my Homerun system (especially now that I've convinced my cable provider to take DRM off of my local and expanded basic channels thanks to Nick and Jason's detailed tech information this past year)!