HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
spencer777

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by spencer777 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 pm

RusselB wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:45 pm
I just found out about this beta app, and was excited to think I'd be able to get live tv on my Roku, only to find that I need to go out and buy more equipment in order for this app to work.
There was NOTHING in the articles I read about additional hardware being required.
Can someone tell me just what is needed and why?
Please note, if possible, that I'm in Canada and have no ability to travel to the US in order to get equipment, so any suggestions/recommendations should be for equipment that I can get in Canada.
I don't understand. What equipment do you need to buy besides a Hdhomerun and Antenna?

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 pm

spencer777 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 pm
RusselB wrote:
I just found out about this beta app, and was excited to think I'd be able to get live tv on my Roku, only to find that I need to go out and buy more equipment in order for this app to work.
There was NOTHING in the articles I read about additional hardware being required.
Please note, if possible, that I'm in Canada and have no ability to travel to the US in order to get equipment, so any suggestions/recommendations should be for equipment that I can get in Canada.
I don't understand. What equipment do you need to buy besides a Hdhomerun and Antenna?
I think he’s talking about getting an HDHomeRun.
In Canada I would think you could get them at Best Buy or amazon.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 pm

congo1981 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 pm
Is probably too soon to ask. But what is the timeline for the dvr feature. Also thank you for the release. Been waiting for a long time
Can't really give timelines. Roku is a pretty locked down platform, and it makes guessing a timeline all but pointless. With that said, we'll release features as soon as we are able. We want this all to work too.

wizwor

Post by wizwor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 am

Beerman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:20 pm
when is AppleTV going to be supported?
Thank Amazon for the launch of this beta. The arrival of the no-fee Recast and $30 4K Fire TV Stick puts pressure on SD and Roku. Pushing out 'whatever they have' before Prime Day. Plenty of weaknesses in the Amazon approach (two concurrent streams per account and lack of PSIP support, for instance), but a pair of threes beats nothing.

Apple doesn't really compete with Amazon or Roku. The May Apple TV announcement talked about streaming broadcast television not installing an antenna.
Beerman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:20 pm
This is indeed good news but remember this?
We are making the player app available for:
Windows
Mac
Android
And if our stretch goals are met:
iOS
Kodi
We are making the storage/record engine available for:
WD My Cloud NAS products
Windows
Mac
Linux
QNAP (current/recent generations)
Synology (current/recent generations)
We are launching our solution to the following regions:
US
Canada
UK
Australia
with plans to support more of Europe over time.
Roku wasn't mentioned and while AppleTV wasn't specifically mentioned (iOS was) it was discussed many times early on that it was on the radar. How is the decision made on what to support? And when is AppleTV going to be supported?

wizwor

Post by wizwor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:30 am

RusselB wrote:
Not sure what article you read, but the email I got from SD included this...
SDEmail wrote:To use the HDHomeRun OTA Live TV channel, you will need a TV, AV receiver, or soundbar that supports Dolby Digital or AC3 sound. You also need a CONNECT or newer HDHomeRun device. And finally you will need a Roku that has been updated to Firmware 9.0.
This app is for getting signal received via an antenna in/on your home to your television via a Roku device. A SD device converts the RF signal received by your antenna into a stream of data that the Roku can understand.

You can get these devices in Canada...

https://www.silicondust.com/support/wheretobuy/canada/

whmaurer

Post by whmaurer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:19 am

foxbat121 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:21 pm
whmaurer wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 pm

For the average consumer, I suspect they've never looked at the Roku system menu and they probably won't be able to figure out why the audio isn't working.
Actually, on my Roku, the audio setting is set to Auto (the default setting) or Auto-detect. If your device connected to Roku is capable of handling AC3 decoding, this will automatically pass out AC3 bitstream. If your connected device can't handle AC3, you won't hear any sound regardless of your audio setting.
The last sentence doesn't match my experience.

I just tested this on my setup (HDHomerun Extend, Roku Premiere+ 4630X, older Sony LCD TV). If I choose AUDIO MODE: AUTO and HDMI: AUTO-DETECT, the HDHomerun app has no audio (the Roku auto-detect appears to choose PCM-Stereo over HDMI). If I then change the HDMI setting from AUTO DETECT to DOLBY DIGITAL, it works. This suggests that the Roku auto-detect isn't capable of handling the OTA signal without specific audio settings, at least in my case.

The main point of my previous post was to pose this question: is it possible for the Silicon Dust app to assist in detecting/handling the audio stream properly, or is that something not possible with how Roku handles audio? I fear that this could be a critical issue for many consumers.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:49 am

That will be the problem with your Sony TV's HDMI port. Normally, HDMI handshake will tell Roku what audio formats it can support, much like you get from a Windows PC. If the handshake doesn't work, how do you expect HDHR can do anything different. As mentioned before, Roku system is pretty locked down. All HDHR app can do is hand the proper TV stream to Roku's media player to playback. It inherits all the fault of that media player, e.g. can't play non-broadcast channels, needs 10-second buffering to start the playback etc.

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 pm
There's not much we can do about the audio. HDHomeRun units send the original broadcast audio, unmodified, to the client. Roku clients (aside from the ones built into TVs) don't decode the two broadcast format options for audio, so it's up to the TV hardware or external audio hardware to do it.
Help me understand this a little better. If the TV plays audio fine when an antenna is directly hooked up, why would it not work through the HDHomerun app? Is there something about the audio signal that I'm not understanding?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:42 am

spocoeric wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am
Help me understand this a little better. If the TV plays audio fine when an antenna is directly hooked up, why would it not work through the HDHomerun app? Is there something about the audio signal that I'm not understanding?
OTA uses Dolby Digital (or AC3) audio format. TVs with antenna input are required to decode this audio but at the same time, most of them, especially the older ones don't offer the same capability for HDMI inputs. Probably to save a few cents of license fee. But newer TVs increasingly have both DD and DTS support for HDMI inputs.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:43 am

spocoeric wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am
For reasons that only the TV manufacturer can explain, there are some TV's which will only decode the audio when it comes directly OTA (and not via HDMI). As with much else, it depends on the specifics (manufacturer, model) of the TV.

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 am

foxbat121 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:42 am
OTA uses Dolby Digital (or AC3) audio format. TVs with antenna input are required to decode this audio but at the same time, most of them, especially the older ones don't offer the same capability for HDMI inputs. Probably to save a few cents of license fee. But newer TVs increasingly have both DD and DTS support for HDMI inputs.
gtb wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:43 am
For reasons that only the TV manufacturer can explain, there are some TV's which will only decode the audio when it comes directly OTA (and not via HDMI). As with much else, it depends on the specifics (manufacturer, model) of the TV.
That's what I suspected. Bummer, but thanks for the insight.

3579mike777

Post by 3579mike777 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Comcast Xfinity in Seattle with Prime. No sound on any channel that plays. Only two or three local channels will play a picture, but without sound. All other channels won't play. My Samsung 4K TV still works great, but it is four years old so the audio support is not there.

This is beginning to bother me because I'm not sure how Windows 7 and Windows Media Center are going to function this coming year when Microsoft support ends. This particular computer is solely dedicated to being a DVR, so the lack of updates I am willing to live with. But if the guide also doesn't update, not good.

FYI, I get terrible OTA reception in Seatac Wa because of hills. Only get CBS local affliate and a bunch of garbage shopping and religious channels OTA.

jre1950
Device ID: 107026C3

Post by jre1950 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Hardware:
HDHomeRun Connect Quatro
Samsung TV (Model UN55J6200AF)
Samsung soundbar (connected via optical) (Model HW-KM45C)
Roku (Model 3800X, software 9.1.0, build 4111-55)

Installed the app on my Roku and initially had no sound. Verified the Roku was set to use Dolby Digital, still no sound. Checked the TV settings and audio was set to PCM. Changed to Dolby Digital and sound started working.

Looks good.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:59 pm

3579mike777 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm
Comcast Xfinity in Seattle with Prime. No sound on any channel that plays. Only two or three local channels will play a picture, but without sound. All other channels won't play. My Samsung 4K TV still works great, but it is four years old so the audio support is not there.
The Roku app just got released last week. It’s not 4 years old. And it only supports OTA right now not cable.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:00 pm

3579mike777 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm
This is beginning to bother me because I'm not sure how Windows 7 and Windows Media Center are going to function this coming year when Microsoft support ends.
You could update to W8.1 (which still has some support left in it).
This particular computer is solely dedicated to being a DVR, so the lack of updates I am willing to live with.
Maybe not. Unless you could go true airgap(*), which is likely to be differently problematic.
But if the guide also doesn't update, not good.
No one (well, outside of Microsoft, if they have even made the decision yet) knows the plans, if any, to drop W7 guide data. But there are 3rd party ($$$) guide solutions that can be fed into WMC (which work adequately for some).

(*) Not like the Nanatz airgap, which was not really an airgap at all.