HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
MoeDee

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by MoeDee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:23 am

Great news!
Installed on my TCL 49S405 OS V9.0.0 Roku TV
Works great with my connect .. the prime on Xfinity obviously recognized yet channels not "working".
Sound works .. have been using already the required settings, TV does pass through to my speaker system..
I know the limitations of the Roku API for UI design, yet I would prefer the UI style from the Windows / XBOX one.

But great progress!

daurora
Device ID: EXTEND 10504C45, CONNECT 1040082F & CONNECT Quatro 10712728

Post by daurora » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 am

This is an odd problem...with this new Roku viewer, I can view all channels that are selected on my Quatro, except for one - Channel 9.1 CFTO; here in Toronto. When I tune to that channel, the buffer shows that it increments and then (after a second) the application jumps out to the main screen.

Notes:
- I do not run the HDHomeRun server software, as I use Emby.
- Quatro ID : 10712728 has 'Send diagnostic information' enabled.
- I have tried this on my Ultra, Premiere Plus and Roku 4 - same problem on all.

TheMoffinMan

Post by TheMoffinMan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am

TheMoffinMan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:40 pm
jasonl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm
You need a device that supports HTTP streaming, so the Dual will not work, it has to be a CONNECT or newer. We'll take a look at the device detection logic to make sure it ignores incompatible models, and make sure it's noted in the app information once it's out of beta.
I have the app installed as well on both my Roku Express+ and my Roku TV. App opens and I can see the guide along the bottom. I select a channel and it says receiving and then cancels out all the way back to the HD HomeRun home screen. Happens on both devices. I have an old Dual, but I also have a Quatro. From what I read the Dual won't work, but the Quatro should, right?
Through Twitter support I realized the app was grabbing my Dual tuner first. I unplugged it from the network and the app at least loaded a channel now. I don't have any volume on my Samsung TV, but they posted that they have seen the issue with some Samsung TVs. Hopefully that is something they can overcome during beta testing.

ItsKKKen

Post by ItsKKKen » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:32 am

Great. I didn't think this was possible on a roku but it seems to work fine for my Quatro on my Roku 3. I had to force the audio to Dolby to get sound. It would be nice if there was a way to exclude certain HDHomeRun devices from discovery or manually set the device you wish to utilize instead of assuming all it can find on the network. Right now it also discovers my Prime and its hundreds of channels which is are pretty useless. Maybe have the setting on to exclude discovery in the device configuration or allow the configuration of a specific device in the new roku channel.

mobilelawyer

Post by mobilelawyer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 am

I saw the Lon Sieben review on YouTube and immediately installed the beta on my Roku Ultra. I am using the Quattro tuner, and everything seemed to work perfectly. I have not yet had a chance to check performance on my two Roku TVs.

rebobbecker

Post by rebobbecker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am

I followed the instructions (I think), but I'm getting an error on my Roku HDHomeRun screen while "discovering devices", "Error, No devices detected., Retry, Exit".

Any help will be appreciated.

***Sorry. I totally misunderstood what this app does. Disregard this message.***
Last edited by rebobbecker on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am

First state what model hdhomerun you have.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm

rebobbecker wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:15 am
I followed the instructions (I think), but I'm getting an error on my Roku HDHomeRun screen while "discovering devices", "Error, No devices detected., Retry, Exit".

Any help will be appreciated.

***Sorry. I totally misunderstood what this app does. Disregard this message.***
He probably did not realize he needed HDHomerun Hardware for this.

kr18064

Post by kr18064 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Just found out about the Roku Private Channel and added it. The video is working however I'm not getting any audio. I've tried changing my Roku audio settings to all different options and nothing seems to enable the audio. Also just updated to the 20190417 firmware but that didn't change anything for me.

Thoughts?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Roku devices can't decode AC3 audio. That might be surprised to most Roku owners but it is absolutely true.

With streaming services, it is easy for app to request PCM 2.0 audio if you configured so. But for TV tuner, it is not possible. So, your TV or soundbar must be able to decode AC3. Most modern TVs are capable of deciding AC3.

whmaurer

Post by whmaurer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 pm

foxbat121 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Roku devices can't decode AC3 audio. That might be surprised to most Roku owners but it is absolutely true.

With streaming services, it is easy for app to request PCM 2.0 audio if you configured so. But for TV tuner, it is not possible. So, your TV or soundbar must be able to decode AC3. Most modern TVs are capable of deciding AC3.
This explains the audio issue I encountered, which I fixed by changing my Roku system audio settings.

If the Roku can't decode AC3 audio, and the HDHomerun is necessarily passing AC3 audio from the OTA signal, can the HDHomerun app be configured to always pass the audio signal through to the TV/receiver/etc. by default? Or can this only be handled by messing with the Roku system audio?

For the average consumer, I suspect they've never looked at the Roku system menu and they probably won't be able to figure out why the audio isn't working.

seerius1

Post by seerius1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 pm

App works for OTA Channels on the following:
Roku Ultra - Philips TV
Roku 3 - Samsung TV
Roku TV

All are receiving the signal from an HDHomeRun Prime.
Provider: Verizon FIOS
The HDMI audio has to be set to Dolby Digital for sound to work

Glad to see I will finally be able to use HDHomeRun on my Roku's. :)

bernito

Post by bernito » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 pm

I have a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M and a Roku Premier updated to the most current software release. I have tried every possible audio setting, but cannot get the volume to work. The odd thing is that I have attached two different apple tvs, two different Chromecasts, a PS3, a Nintendo Wii and a variety of DirecTV boxes and they all work perfectly, including sound. Does anyone have any suggestions since I would really like to get access to my local channels on this tv, since I have switch to PS Vue. Thanks.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:21 pm

whmaurer wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 pm

For the average consumer, I suspect they've never looked at the Roku system menu and they probably won't be able to figure out why the audio isn't working.
Actually, on my Roku, the audio setting is set to Auto (the default setting) or Auto-detect. If your device connected to Roku is capable of handling AC3 decoding, this will automatically pass out AC3 bitstream. If your connected device can't handle AC3, you won't hear any sound regardless of your audio setting.

RusselB

Post by RusselB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:45 pm

I just found out about this beta app, and was excited to think I'd be able to get live tv on my Roku, only to find that I need to go out and buy more equipment in order for this app to work.
There was NOTHING in the articles I read about additional hardware being required.
Can someone tell me just what is needed and why?
Please note, if possible, that I'm in Canada and have no ability to travel to the US in order to get equipment, so any suggestions/recommendations should be for equipment that I can get in Canada.