HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
monogoat

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by monogoat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Installed on TCL Roku TV 49S405, on software 9.0.0. I can choose a channel, then a program but it kicks back to the channels.

Duster911

Post by Duster911 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm

I have partial video on connect quad.
It's almost as if it zooms from top left of image the top 1/4 of what should be visible.

No audio heard. *Update* switched audio on Roku to Dolby digital, now have audio.. image is still messed up.

HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO
Model: HDHR5-4US
Device ID: 1077762B
Firmware: 20190417

Roku: model 3900rw - Roku express
Tested on auto screen size
1080p
And 720p
My TV is 1080

congo1981

Post by congo1981 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Amazing channel app. Just need that dvr feature and im sold

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Beerman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:20 pm
This is indeed good news but remember this?
We are making the player app available for:
Windows
Mac
Android
And if our stretch goals are met:
iOS
Kodi
We are making the storage/record engine available for:
WD My Cloud NAS products
Windows
Mac
Linux
QNAP (current/recent generations)
Synology (current/recent generations)
We are launching our solution to the following regions:
US
Canada
UK
Australia
with plans to support more of Europe over time.
Roku wasn't mentioned and while AppleTV wasn't specifically mentioned (iOS was) it was discussed many times early on that it was on the radar. How is the decision made on what to support? And when is AppleTV going to be supported?
Apple TV support requires changes being made for the new UI (in order to be accepted by the Apple app store, IIRC). That's one of the reasons the new UI is such a big deal, because of all the under-the-hood changes and what they'll make possible. I don't have an ETA for you, but progress is being made.

villaHdHR

Post by villaHdHR » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Two comments:
  • It's about time!
  • Totally awesome. I no longer have to leave Roku to watch live TV. It's a whole lot easier to show my family the HDHomeRun Roku channel than to tell them to switch devices, open Kodi, navigate to add-ons, etc.

LHoust

Post by LHoust » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm

With my Streaming Stick+ (3810X) and Connect (HDHR4-2US), although many of my local Channels stream, none have sound.

Display is a "Basic" ASUS Monitor (VC239H), using its built-in speakers.
Although I have read some people have been able to obtain audio by selecting HDMI (Dolby Digital), all that gives me is a buzzing sound!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm

DaveSkynet wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:42 pm
Can I record Roku content to my hard drive on my computer with this? :D
Nope, this is just playing back signal from the HDHomeRun tuner. It's like a one-way street. The HDHomeRun has no way of seeing what's on the Roku, but the Roku can see what's on the HDHomeRun.

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Having a little trouble setting this up on my parents' Roku 3. Video works, but no audio. They have an older Samsung TV made before the days of Dolby Digital (It has TruSurround). They have a Vizio soundbar hooked up, but there is no HDMI input, so we are using Optical audio. Reading the blog post, It states that some Samsungs don't work, and that it works via HDMI, not optical. So I assume either or both of these issues could be the problem.

Are there any plans to tweak the audio for this type of setup, or is the Roku's lack of encoding a roadblock? Also, they are using an EXTEND, are there any transcoding options that I should play with that might allow the HDHomerun to process the audio?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pm

spocoeric wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm
Having a little trouble setting this up on my parents' Roku 3. Video works, but no audio. They have an older Samsung TV made before the days of Dolby Digital (It has TruSurround). They have a Vizio soundbar hooked up, but there is no HDMI input, so we are using Optical audio. Reading the blog post, It states that some Samsungs don't work, and that it works via HDMI, not optical. So I assume either or both of these issues could be the problem.

Are there any plans to tweak the audio for this type of setup, or is the Roku's lack of encoding a roadblock? Also, they are using an EXTEND, are there any transcoding options that I should play with that might allow the HDHomerun to process the audio?
The TV probably won't pass the proper signal through, but you can get an adapter. HDMI from the Roku to an "audio extractor", then HDMI from the AE to the TV, and optical from the AE to the sound bar. They normally run around $20 from the normal places (Amazon, eBay, etc).

For example, this should work in theory: https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Extractor- ... 06XDNJ6RM/

I have not tried this specific model, and it's just what popped up on a search, but it does claim to support DD. If it doesn't, Amazon should take it back for free.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:16 pm

LHoust wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm
With my Streaming Stick+ (3810X) and Connect (HDHR4-2US), although many of my local Channels stream, none have sound.

Display is a "Basic" ASUS Monitor (VC239H), using its built-in speakers.
Although I have read some people have been able to obtain audio by selecting HDMI (Dolby Digital), all that gives me is a buzzing sound!
The built-in speakers most likely have no decoder for Dolby Digital or AC3.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 pm

monogoat wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm
Installed on TCL Roku TV 49S405, on software 9.0.0. I can choose a channel, then a program but it kicks back to the channels.
Is your HDHomeRun an OTA model or a PRIME?

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 pm

NedS wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pm

The TV probably won't pass the proper signal through, but you can get an adapter. HDMI from the Roku to an "audio extractor", then HDMI from the AE to the TV, and optical from the AE to the sound bar. They normally run around $20 from the normal places (Amazon, eBay, etc).

For example, this should work in theory: https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Extractor- ... 06XDNJ6RM/

I have not tried this specific model, and it's just what popped up on a search, but it does claim to support DD. If it doesn't, Amazon should take it back for free.
I appreciate the suggestion, but that's not going to work for their setup. The optical input on the soundbar can't be dedicated to the Roku; they have a satellite receiver and BluRay player hooked up that need the TV sending optical audio out for them. But I'm sure others may find the extractor route as a solid option. Hopefully the beta process will open up they possibilities for more audio encoding. The odd thing is when I set the Roku to Dolby Digital (Or any other sound option available), all other Roku sounds/apps have perfect audio with the current setup (HDMI from Roku to TV, optical audio from TV to soundbar).

cyaggie

Post by cyaggie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 pm

whmaurer wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 pm
Excited about this! I've been using a Plex server, but it seems to add some additional latency and uses extra resources on my server, so I'm glad to cut out the middleman.

One note: to get this to work on my Roku Premiere+ 2016 (4630X), I had to change the audio settings on my Roku because the default settings (stereo/PCM) weren't working. The settings that worked for me are as follows:

Audio mode: Auto
HDMI: Dolby Digital
Thank you for posting this. It solved my issue. I am so happy now.

CraigJConrad

Post by CraigJConrad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 pm

I have four TVs with Roku devices. Each Roku has firmware v9+, and I upgraded my HDHomerun Extend to latest firmware. Then I tried the new feature on each with the following results:

LG: Audio, no Video
Samsung: Video, no Audio
Panasonic: Video, no Audio
Sony: BOTH WORK!
Last edited by CraigJConrad on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 am

With my Prime on Verizon FIOS, only the local broadcast channels are playable. None of the other channels, though not DRM protected, are playable. This was the case using Roku Media Player to play via DLNA before.