Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Post Reply
simas
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by simas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Yes, please (on FAQs)

Also, as a person coming late to this party - remind me please who are these intended for? people who want DVR service but do not have a NAS already? I do have (multiple) NAS boxes, what would be an advantage to use something like Scribe? Thank you

gtb
Expert
Posts: 3900
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:00 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by gtb » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm

simas wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:12 pm
what would be an advantage to use something like Scribe? Thank you
Plug and play ("they just work"). Not all NAS devices are easy to configure or manage in the real world (and some don't make the cut at all). For actually technically competent users(*), these devices may have minimal advantage(**), for the target audience who just want something to work, these are SD's offerings.



(*) There are a lot of people who *think* that have the technical chops. Many don't (but are unwilling to admit it, just like they won't ask for directions).

(**) Well, they do have the (potentially great) advantage that you no longer need to be the family/friends tech support. That can actually be worth the devices weight in Californium ($20 million per gram), since you probably don't have the accelerator to produce positrons.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13627
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Additionally, Servio and Scribe are also better deals than buying a NAS if you don't need the other things a NAS does. The Synology DS119j is a good basic NAS (and we have recommended it for people looking for one), but by the time you add in a 2TB drive you're looking at a $175 outlay. If you're just looking for something to run a DVR, then a 2TB Servio comes in $25 less and also uses significantly less power, so the savings will increase over time.

simas
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by simas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Got it, thank you both. Are the HDDs upgradeable (assuming one also picks up the correct format )?

For those of us who have NAS already (many TBs of redundant storage, 10GBe connectivity ,etc.) I am thinking on whether or not to get something like this. there is certain appeal in set and forget...

also, given this is a single HDD in either product - if that drive goes so goes whatever recording you had at that point, correct? what do you recommend as potential precation prior to that? any way to archive some things out of scribe elsewhere?

and may be last question (for FAQ or this thread) , this is something that 'plays nicely' if you have multiple tuner devices , correct? including combining both OTA and cable.

I am currently only in OTA land and no DVR. Have been holding off getting cable due to limited availability of prime 3 second hand only completely unknown from e-bay and no warranty, and no prime 6 available.
if servio/scribe create a single easy ecosystem I can understand , integrate well, answer what happens in case of failure, then I can understand value behind it for me.

for someone else of cause value may be elsewhere..

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13627
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Upgrade information is available at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70590&p=336682 . I don't know if there are any larger capacity 2.5"/7mm drives designed for DVR use though.

The normal way the DVR serves recordings is through HTTP, so you can already download recordings from an existing DVR just by hitting the URL in your browser or using wget or other programs. I expect the ways of doing this to evolve over time, both with our own solutions and through some of the tools that other people already have to interact with the DVR. And if nothing else, the drive is using a standard XFS filesystem and should be accessible to most any Linux PC if you need to pull it out for some reason. We're still discussing different ways of transferring recordings to the DVR.

Yes, the Scribe and Servio play nicely with multiple devices and sources.

nickk
Silicondust
Posts: 15417
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:39 am

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by nickk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm

simas wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm
Got it, thank you both. Are the HDDs upgradeable (assuming one also picks up the correct format )?
Easiest is to keep adding SERVIO units to add more space.

The SERVIO uses a 7mm tall video-spec (24/7 operation) hard drive. At least at the moment 2TB is the largest in 7mm unless you drop in a SSD.

More information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70590
simas wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm
For those of us who have NAS already (many TBs of redundant storage, 10GBe connectivity ,etc.) I am thinking on whether or not to get something like this. there is certain appeal in set and forget...
No problem running both - you get the benefit of additional space and additional automatic redundancy of running two record engines.
simas wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm
also, given this is a single HDD in either product - if that drive goes so goes whatever recording you had at that point, correct? what do you recommend as potential precation prior to that? any way to archive some things out of scribe elsewhere?
If you lose a HDD the record engine will record the missing shows again when the next air as the logic knows they are missing.
simas wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm
and may be last question (for FAQ or this thread) , this is something that 'plays nicely' if you have multiple tuner devices , correct? including combining both OTA and cable.
Yes. It will record from PRIME, CONNECT, EXTEND, etc.

simas
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by simas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Thank you Nick, this answers my questions.

as consumer/potential consumer, I will keep an eye on these products and wait for "killer app" to arrive which to me is
- availability of cable tuners (prime 3 or prime 6) retail/online
- ability to record protected content without use of WMC Win 7

I care about few channels at most (History, Syfy, Discover) and can only watch them in spare time between all other life commitments ( family, kids, work ) so time shifting is critical.

Dan203
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by Dan203 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Is the Servio just a network HDD? Or does it actually run the DVR software? I can't tell from the description if the DVR software runs on the Servio itself or if the DVR has to run on an external PC.

If it's a DVR itself does it have video outputs? Or do you have to access it using an app on a 3rd party streaming device like a Roku?

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13627
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 pm

The DVR runs on the Servio. There is no video output on the Servio; you access the DVR using the HDHomeRun app, which is available for Windows 10, Xbox One, Mac, Android (including Android TV and Fire TV), and iOS, or from various other apps, like Kodi (using either the official addon or the unofficial Kodi PVR addon) or InstaTV.

rrussis82
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by rrussis82 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:44 pm

the Servio and Scribes I've read are stackable with eachother and other Gen 5 hardware. Is there any thought to have a power supply with multiple barrel connections so we won't need a dedicated power strip just to run all our HDHomerun hardware. I currently have a Prime (hopefully soon replaced with a Prime 6), a connect Duo that will be in use when a set up an antenna properly, a preorder for a Servio, and if the antenna works out I'll get a Scribe Duo, Then the option for future Servios as needed. With all these I will need a dedicated switch and powerstrip just for my HDHomerun hardware.

Maybe you can design and sell a small powered rack that can act as a switch also that these devices can just slide into and get power and network through

nateb
Silicondust
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by nateb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:44 pm
the Servio and Scribes I've read are stackable with eachother and other Gen 5 hardware. Is there any thought to have a power supply with multiple barrel connections so we won't need a dedicated power strip just to run all our HDHomerun hardware. I currently have a Prime (hopefully soon replaced with a Prime 6), a connect Duo that will be in use when a set up an antenna properly, a preorder for a Servio, and if the antenna works out I'll get a Scribe Duo, Then the option for future Servios as needed. With all these I will need a dedicated switch and powerstrip just for my HDHomerun hardware.

Maybe you can design and sell a small powered rack that can act as a switch also that these devices can just slide into and get power and network through
We haven't really considered this before, but I'd be all about it personally. I think it would definitely depend on demand. If there are a bunch of people getting multi-tuners and multiple servios, it definitely would make sense to at least look into it.

rrussis82
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:59 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 am
rrussis82 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:44 pm
the Servio and Scribes I've read are stackable with eachother and other Gen 5 hardware. Is there any thought to have a power supply with multiple barrel connections so we won't need a dedicated power strip just to run all our HDHomerun hardware. I currently have a Prime (hopefully soon replaced with a Prime 6), a connect Duo that will be in use when a set up an antenna properly, a preorder for a Servio, and if the antenna works out I'll get a Scribe Duo, Then the option for future Servios as needed. With all these I will need a dedicated switch and powerstrip just for my HDHomerun hardware.

Maybe you can design and sell a small powered rack that can act as a switch also that these devices can just slide into and get power and network through
We haven't really considered this before, but I'd be all about it personally. I think it would definitely depend on demand. If there are a bunch of people getting multi-tuners and multiple servios, it definitely would make sense to at least look into it.
It could be like it's own NAS with the tuners in. create a backplane circuit board with Ethernet plugs built in and barrel plugs that line up with the tuners and servios that also line up with Ethernet ports on an off the shelf 8 port switch with one power supply and one Ethernet port to router or another switch. encase it with openings to slide the units into.. Kind of like an Allen Bradley 500 PLC design. Have holes in the back where the coax plugs in and have coax exterders that you can screw in from the back and then connect your coax cable to the extender right in the back of the plane.

magoojr79
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by magoojr79 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm

If I'm reading these various posts correctly, if I already have a few HDHR Extend tuners installed on my network, I can just get a Servio and not need the Scribe? I dont need any more tuners.

How many HDHR Extend's can a Servio or Scribe handle at one time?

rpcameron
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by rpcameron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 pm

magoojr79 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm
If I'm reading these various posts correctly, if I already have a few HDHR Extend tuners installed on my network, I can just get a Servio and not need the Scribe? I dont need any more tuners.

How many HDHR Extend's can a Servio or Scribe handle at one time?
Correct. The Servio is just a network attached hard drive whose only purpose is to run SD's recording software. It supports as many tuners as SD's recording engine does. (I'm not sure if this number had ever been public ally shared ...)

The Scribe is essentially a Connect and a Servio combined into the same enclosure, sharing a network interface.

gtb
Expert
Posts: 3900
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:00 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA

Re: Servio and Scribe

Post by gtb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 pm
(I'm not sure if this number had ever been public ally shared ...)
The next to lastest record engine stated that the default/max was 16 concurrent recordings, and the latest latest stated that the max was allowed to be configured up to 128 (I have no idea if that can be configured on a scribe/servio, but I would not be surprised if more than 16 or so would approach the realistic limits on a single servio due to disk (seek) latency, depending on things like exactly how the xfs file system is configured and the available memory on the devices). In practice, if you are going to be doing more than a dozen or so concurrent recordings you really are moving into engineered solution territory, and likely need to (really really) know what you are doing.

Post Reply