hdhr prime no lights

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jimmer

hdhr prime no lights

Post by jimmer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:18 pm

over the weekend I noticed that the app couldn't see my prime tuners- just my dual
checked the prime and no lights seen
powered down to reboot ans it initially goes through the tuner light sequence and then power light turns to green and cablecard light flashes 3-4 times then all lights out and cannot access device through web browser
remove the cablecard and device reboots properly and able to access webpage w/o problem (power light green only one lit)
reinsert cablecard now and the cablecard light flashes 3- 4 times then again all lights out
assumed bad cablecard and switched it at spectrum- same exact scenario
?another bad card or prime failing?
anyway to run self diagnostics on the unit?
when no cable card inserted here is log

19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = power on
19700101-00:00:00 CableCARD: USB device 05A6:0008 connected
19700101-00:00:00 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver connected
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver downstream status: success
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver upstream status: success
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver authentication status: in progress
19700101-00:00:01 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver operational status: initializing
19700101-00:00:02 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver authentication status: success
19700101-00:00:02 CableCARD: Tuning Resolver operational status: ready
19700101-00:00:03 System: network link 1000f
19700101-00:00:04 System: ip address obtained: 192.168.0.19 / 255.255.255.0
20190604-23:15:43 System: time changed from Thu Jan 01 00:00:21 1970 to Tue Jun 04 23:15:43 2019

I was able to install latest firmware with same result
help!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: hdhr prime no lights

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Quite likely a power supply issue, either the wrong one is in use or it's the right one but it's failing. It is working well enough to power just the PRIME, but once the additional draw from the card is added, the supply can't deliver enough power. Check to make sure you have the correct supply connected (5V and either 2.5 or 3A), just in case you somehow swapped them. If it is already the correct supply, try another compatible supply if you have one; it needs to be exactly 5V and at least 2A. If it works with another supply, replacements are available from our shop at https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... e-1-5-amp/ .

jimmer

Post by jimmer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm

using the original prime PS not swapped so tried a roku ps that's 5v 2.5A and same issue
powers down when it gets to the cablecard boot stage
is 2.5 A still not enough?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:56 pm

2.5A is enough. Actual combined draw with all tuners in use is something like 1.7A (depending on the card in use), but the CableCARD spec requires that devices be able to supply half an amp to the USB port, so the included power supply is well above what is needed for real-world use (unless you're charging your phone off the USB port or something). Next step would be to try another CableCARD.

morpheus

Post by morpheus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 am

I have a similar problem.

My unit has been working well for 18 months but recently has been shutting down intermittently - no lights. By checking my connections and reinserting the power cable after a 10 sec delay, I've been able to get it to power back up. Tonite, it seems to have failed - hard.

So I removed all the connections - cable card, power, ethernet, and coax - and checked the power supply with my multimeter. I get more than 5 volts and 3.5 amps, but reinserting the power cable yields no lights. My replacement cable card will arrive later today, but I suspect that it will not make a difference since I cannot see any lights with only the power supply connected.

So, is this device dead? And if so, do u repair them? I'm trying to wait for your 6-tuner model and do not want to buy a used HDHR3. Any suggestions?

jimmer

Post by jimmer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:21 am

updATE
TRIED ANOTHER POWER SUPPLY FROM MY ***** BOX THAT IS 5V 3A- SAME SITUATION
PULLED KNOWN WORKING CABLECARD OUT OF MY CABLEBOX AND STILL SAME SITUATION
SO 3 DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLIES AND 3 DIFFERENT CABLE CARDS SAME RESULT
FUNCTIONS FINE UNTIL IT TRIES TO BOOT UP CABLECARD THEN SHUTDOWN- NO LIGHTS
WORKS FINE AND WEBPAGE ACCESSIBLE WITHOUT CABLECARD INSERTED
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR IS THIS UNIT A GONER?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 am

morpheus wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 am
... and checked the power supply with my multimeter.
Which tells you nothing about ripple (one of the most common failure modes for those supplies). You will need to perform testing under load to be able to make any determination. Since few have the necessary test bench to make that evaluation, the brute force solution is replace the power supply with a known good one.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:59 am

"Known good one" can be misleading some as most users assume just because it is rated as such and powers another device, does not necessarily mean it will properly power a prime (or other tuner). One thing a person shouldn't do is insert another card until they can properly power up without as it can lead to too many pairing headaches later.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:05 pm

morpheus wrote:
And aside from the ripple gtb mentioned, there's just the actual voltage being supplied under load. A common failure mode is that the supply will run an full voltage when there's no load (including just testing with a multimeter), but it will drop by 10% or more when there is load. The only way to accurately test this would be to measure the voltage across the 2 pins of the power connector on the PRIME while the supply is plugged in, which would involve removing the case on the PRIME, so it would only be suggested for people who know how to safely handle things so no additional damage is done, and only on devices that are out of warranty, of course.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 pm

jimmer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:21 am
updATE
TRIED ANOTHER POWER SUPPLY FROM MY ***** BOX THAT IS 5V 3A- SAME SITUATION
PULLED KNOWN WORKING CABLECARD OUT OF MY CABLEBOX AND STILL SAME SITUATION
SO 3 DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLIES AND 3 DIFFERENT CABLE CARDS SAME RESULT
FUNCTIONS FINE UNTIL IT TRIES TO BOOT UP CABLECARD THEN SHUTDOWN- NO LIGHTS
WORKS FINE AND WEBPAGE ACCESSIBLE WITHOUT CABLECARD INSERTED
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR IS THIS UNIT A GONER?
About the only other thing I can think of that doesn't involve a complete failure of the unit is maybe one of the pins on the CableCARD connector somehow got bent and when a card is inserted it's shorting something out. Shine a flashlight in the card slot and make sure all the pins look straight.

morpheus

Post by morpheus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:05 pm
morpheus wrote:
And aside from the ripple gtb mentioned, there's just the actual voltage being supplied under load. A common failure mode is that the supply will run an full voltage when there's no load (including just testing with a multimeter), but it will drop by 10% or more when there is load. The only way to accurately test this would be to measure the voltage across the 2 pins of the power connector on the PRIME while the supply is plugged in, which would involve removing the case on the PRIME, so it would only be suggested for people who know how to safely handle things so no additional damage is done, and only on devices that are out of warranty, of course.
You're right, of course, and I'm not ready to take the thing apart - yet. So here's an update.

I initially thought there might be a failing component on the tuner because it smelled like something was burnt - that tell-tale sign when a capacitor or other component has finally failed. That area of the tuner (near the coax cable connector) was also very warm. But before making that call, I decided to try another power adapter.

I found an adapter from an old Linksys access point that had the right specs ~ 5v and 2.5a. Plugged it in and the thing powered up normally. But when I woke up the next morning, it had shut down again. So I disconnected the power adapter and waited for a couple of hours for the unit to cool down. Sure enough, when I reapplied power, the unit powered up normally. So I'm like "Aha, we have a failing component in the tuner".

This morning, however, the unit remained powered up all night, so I'm beginning to think it was, as you said, a bad power adapter.

And the testing continues ...

Thanx for all the suggestions!