Hidden recording after moving to an external USB drive

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
msuckow

Hidden recording after moving to an external USB drive

Post by msuckow » Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 pm

[Windows 10]

I have Windows 10 PC acting as the DVR. All the programs are recorded to the internal C: drive. All is well up to here.
To manage space, I move all the files of a series to an external USB drive. Occasionally (often), the latest program moved to the external drive does not show up in the DVR app. When I check the file, it is indeed there. It is simply hidden from the app. All the other episodes of that series moved to the external drive at the same time show up as expected.

The workaround is to move the hidden file to another folder, and then to copy it back. That seems to trigger a rescan which invariably locates the missing file.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Hidden recording after moving to an external USB drive

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:52 pm

The DVR uses a Windows system interface to register itself to receive notifications of any changes that are made within the recording directory. Windows is good about reporting new file creations, but can be hit or miss when existing files are moved to a different location. Without this notification, the DVR has no way to know that the file exists.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am

When the record engine is notified of a file move it waits a short delay and checks for new recordings.

It is possible that the file hasn't copied enough to detect what the recording was.

Nick

msuckow

Post by msuckow » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 pm

nickk wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am
When the record engine is notified of a file move it waits a short delay and checks for new recordings.

It is possible that the file hasn't copied enough to detect what the recording was.

Nick
Perhaps. However, I am usually noticing the missing recording hours after the move. Reloading the app doesn't fix the problem.
Also, after the workaround, the engine always seems to locate the file.

I'm betting on the problem being related to moving the file to another drive and/or to an external USB drive.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Reloading/restarting "APP" does nothing for what the DVR sees/does which "ONLY" responds to directory changes (other than the initial index when starting). What you need to do is restart the DVR and/or run into "luck" that when you move the file that the engine actually does get the trigger that the directory changed. I have seen several things over prevent the engine from detecting changes to the directory including other things monitoring the folder and not playing nice.

Sometimes, particularly with USB drives, the file isn't fully accessible until after it completes the write, which usually is not in the few seconds of delay that the engine waited in an attempt to read the first 12K for the metadata. When you move in bulk, it actually may pick up the previous one on the change to the latest... if you move between directories on the same drive, it just makes the directory change, it doesn't actually move it thus the file is ready to be read as soon as the directory has the change.

My solution after doing such moves is to restart the engine but the main reason I did that is my "archive" was a remote share which can also have other issues with such directory notification.

msuckow

Post by msuckow » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:20 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Reloading/restarting "APP" does nothing for what the DVR sees/does which "ONLY" responds to directory changes (other than the initial index when starting). What you need to do is restart the DVR […]
You're right. I misread Nick's comment and compounded the problem with my "reload the app" comment...
signcarver wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Sometimes, particularly with USB drives, the file isn't fully accessible until after it completes the write, which usually is not in the few seconds of delay that the engine waited in an attempt to read the first 12K for the metadata. [,,,]
One way to improve the situation would be for the engine to do an additional scan 5-10 minutes after the file move notification.