Fedora Terminal Login

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
imzack

Fedora Terminal Login

Post by imzack » Sun May 26, 2019 8:02 pm

I just moved; and am setting up my HDHomeRun.

I am doing a scan; and only have 2 channels.

The first channel is a generic cable ad, created by the cable company.

The second channel is a Fedora Terminal Log in Screen.

Can someone explain what is going on and why I am not seeing more channels?

Is there a way to send data to the terminal and log in?

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Fedora Terminal Login

Post by signcarver » Sun May 26, 2019 8:53 pm

What device? Most cable systems now encrypt all channels (which would require a prime with cablecard) and only include a channel to tell you to get equipment...

The "terminal" is just the output of a screen at the cable company... nothing for you to do with it.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 pm

imzack wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:02 pm
Can someone explain what is going on and why I am not seeing more channels?
Possibly Comcast? I seem to recall (that in most markets) they only have two clear QAM channels left, one is the "Subscribe to get service" channel, and an emergency broadcast / test channel (which I seem to recall sometimes shows a fedora login screen).

To receive TV service you will need to obtain a HDHomeRun Prime (that is a different difficulty), subscribe to service, and obtain a CableCARD and validate it.

imzack

Post by imzack » Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 pm

I have a HDHomerun Prime.

I don't have a cablecard. Before with my previous cable provider, I was able to find alot of channels... Some encrypted, but some available for free (unencrypted and included in service)

And yes, this is Comcast;

Since I already have a HDHomerun Prime, wouldn't I still be able to see/discover the encrypted channels without the cable card?

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

No, you would only see ClearQAM channels without cablecard. You need the cablecard to do anything else.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 pm

imzack wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 pm
Before with my previous cable provider, I was able to find alot of channels... Some encrypted, but some available for free (unencrypted and included in service)
As signcarver indicated, "Most cable systems now encrypt all channels"(*). With the exceptions that prove the rule, unencrypted channels available with your TV service is a dying breed. And a leased/validated CableCARD does the authentication/decryption.
Since I already have a HDHomerun Prime, wouldn't I still be able to see/discover the encrypted channels without the cable card?
Using the legacy CLI you can often see a list of channels during a manual scan using that legacy CLI (even if you can't tune/view them because they are actually encrypted). However, none of the newer protocols/processes/applications use that (in practice) useless list of what you can't actually view (you can get the same list by looking at your local Comcast franchise channel list regarding what you can have, if you subscribe to various levels of service).

(*) The reasons may vary, but mostly involve substantially reducing costs of ongoing processes, and reducing larceny.