Does Prime work with DRM and DVR on TCL Roku TV?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Robert Duncan

Does Prime work with DRM and DVR on TCL Roku TV?

Post by Robert Duncan » Mon May 27, 2019 7:52 am

I have a Prime that I wish to use to replace my now defunct cable box (R.I.P. Moxi). At the same time I am going to get a new TV.

I am looking at an XBR Sony with Android TV, which I think will work with Prime/DRM/DVR. The other one I am looking at is a series 6 TCL with Roku TV. It is not clear to me if the TCL will work directly with the Prime or require a Fire Stick or other interface.

If anyone has another suggestion like a Samsung or LG that works seamlessly with the Prime I would like to hear about that too.

Robert

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Does Prime work with DRM and DVR on TCL Toku TV?

Post by signcarver » Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 am

Only TV to work "seamlessly" (without another device) would need to be android based (such as the sony) but I would still plan on needing another device which connects via hdmi to "any" tv.

The DVR does not (currently) support DRM. Amazon devices don't work with DRM (currently - amazon would need to fix) so I suggest a windows pc, xbox one, nvidia shield, jetstream 4k or mibox (us version).

Samsung and LG may support DRM through their dlna interface but most would not refer to those as being seamless.

Currently if you wish to record DRM I suggest a windows 7 PC and WMC (8.1 with media pack may also support but getting a license for that wmc pack may be difficult) .

techpro2004

Re: Does Prime work with DRM and DVR on TCL Roku TV?

Post by techpro2004 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 am

The hdhomerun dvr is not compatible with roku. If you want to use a roku, you will need to use a 3rd party dvr program but no drm. Fire tv will work but again no drm. Personally, I use windows mini computers and nvidia shield android tv boxes. Drm will work with the sony, Plus it supports live channels which will provide a different ui (grid epg) which the hdhomerun app does not have. I would go with the sony or get a samsung with an external nvidia shield android tv box. Either way, it is essentially the same thing.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:27 am

I would go with the cheapest TV that you are happy with the picture quality (either Smart or not smart) and spend the $60 dollars on the Mi Box, Jetstream, or If you save enough with the TV go with an Nvidia Shield or Xbox One. Advantage of Nvidia is you can plug in an external HDD (USB 3.0) and have your DVR run of the Shield without the need of a NAS or separate computer.

Most "Smart TVs" are not updated well and the smarts are obsolete after 2-3 years or so.

Sony does have AndroidTV but Sony in the past haven't put in strong enough processors and navigating the UI is slow, also any TV made before 2016 will not support any update past Nougat (AndroidTV 7), so what does that mean in 3 years if you bought one brand new today?

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Wed May 29, 2019 10:52 am

I agree with the other comments in this thread. For every smart TV there is a dumb version of the same TV that costs $100-200 less. Buy the dumb TV and get a box that will actually get updated.