New here, general questions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tachtevrenidis

New here, general questions

Post by tachtevrenidis » Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm

hey I am a new subscriber to the DVR service (LONG time HDHR user, mainly via Plex). I am hoping to get answers to some general questions. I general got the DVR working, I have all my recordings setup, things seem to be running smoothly. My questions are:

1) Is there an indication of what is recording right now (which shows, from what time to what time, how far along are they etc)?

2) How can I cancel an active recording? I found something currently recording, hit delete on the item under "Recorded", the item disappeared, but the tuner stayed tuned in (I checked the tuner's admin site).

3) Is there an indication of what all is going to be recorded today, tomorrow etc?

4) I see the recordings end up as .TS files. Can I remux them (offline) and put them back (with new extension .mp4 let's say) and have the HDHR app still recognize them and play them?

5) How can I see what, if anything, failed recording etc?

6) When I am watching something that is currently being recorded, is there an indication of much 'buffer' I have to fast forward until I catch up with 'live'?

7) How do I resolve recording conflicts? (I have not run into this yet but it will happen for sure)

thanks in advance!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: New here, general questions

Post by signcarver » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 am

1) no... or at least not exactly... you may encounter a red dot but that means it is a candidate, not what is being recorded.

2) Only way to "cancel" is to "shut" everything down, and take the tuners away with something else before it grabs them again

3) again, the red dot you may encounter indicates a potential candidate, whether or not it actually records is based on the engine at the time and if it already has it.

4) Though they are ts files, they should have a .mpg extension. The important thing for any conversion is to keep it as a TS and keep the first 64 (I believe) TS packets untouched that contain the metadata.

5) check the logs

6) No, [removed by moderator]

7) make sure to have enough tuners... you can also change priorities but you would need to determine what is necessary

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Fri May 24, 2019 9:07 am

@signcarver,

thanks!

Most of those questions hint at features that most all other DVRs have. How do we know if those will be at one point built into the product?

Also your answer to (6) baffles me.

We can't talk about whether there is a feature in the product that tells the user how much recorded buffer they have, because it violates forum rules? Wha?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri May 24, 2019 9:42 am

tachtevrenidis wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:07 am
Most of those questions hint at features that most all other DVRs have. How do we know if those will be at one point built into the product?
We are constantly working to improve the HDHomeRun DVR - recommend following the forum and tracking what we are doing with beta releases.
tachtevrenidis wrote:
Also your answer to (6) baffles me.
We can't talk about whether there is a feature in the product that tells the user how much recorded buffer they have, because it violates forum rules? Wha?
Scratching my head on that one as well - no problem talking about features.

Ironically, that #6 reply claiming that it can't be talked about IS a violation of the forum rule against fear / uncertainty / doubt style posting so it has been removed.

Nick

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Fri May 24, 2019 12:04 pm

tachtevrenidis wrote:
The HDHR DVR has some features that are arguably better than some other DVRs, some features that are arguably worse/missing compared to other DVRs and some features that are just different than other DVRs. The latter two feature groups create much discussion on this forum. Not all of those later exchanges contribute positively to the ongoing discussions. In any case, realistically no one should ever purchase futures (without a significant monetary penalty for not meeting those futures), for plans change (for good, bad, and ugly reasons). Evaluate and determine if the solution works for you *today*, and if not, look elsewhere *today*, and then reevaluate again at some future point to see if things if things have changed.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri May 24, 2019 3:50 pm

gtb wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:04 pm
Evaluate and determine if the solution works for you *today*, and if not, look elsewhere *today*, and then reevaluate again at some future point to see if things if things have changed.
Totally agree with this. There's a reason we provide a long DVR trial period. We want customers to really get a grip on whether what we provide works for them. It's also why we are proud of working with so many partners, like Plex, Channels, and Emby. Our thinking is that surely ONE of those softwares will work for just about anybody. Heck, for some it works out in really weird ways. For example, people will use the HDHomeRun app for when they're watching Live TV and recording stuff that doesn't go into long term storage, like sports. While they'll use something like Plex/Emby for recording shows they're hoarding and planning to watch over and over. While others will watch and record using HDHomeRun, then use a 3rd party like MCEBuddy to store everything in one of the server platforms.

It's all about providing whatever works best for you.