Comskip with HDhomerun DVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Comskip with HDhomerun DVR

Post by ACraigo » Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 am

gtb wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 am
The solution (by the big players) that works reasonably well uses various combinations of heuristics, AI, and human validation to create an accurate skip-list for the network feeds (usually available a few hours after broadcast). In other words, spending real money and providing a paid service (or value add to an existing service to keep you as a subscriber). There has been, from time to time, considerations to crowd-source such information, but they have tended to fall apart rather quickly when the real world complexity of such a general solution was considered.
Well, I let MCEBuddy do it's work on media I'm going to watch and delete. I have my Comskip*ini file set to be VERY forgiving, leaving ads in favor of hosing down programming in error.
If something is to be added permanently to the Plexiverse, VideoReDo creates frame accurate editing with a few minutes of human intervention.

If SD wants to pay 'real money' for the services that others may provide in the "Ad Eradication Industry" that would be a direct reversal of history - and unlikely, IMO. If SD wants to throw together a Cheap and Dirty Comskip hack it WILL be nothing but trouble. Mom and Pop User don't care why it doesn't work right - they just want it to work right - and it'll never work right.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 am

ACraigo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 am
Mom and Pop User don't care why it doesn't work right - they just want it to work right - and it'll never work right.
Which was actually the point I was trying to make, that to do it right costs real money, so commercial companies offering such a capability need to either step up, or step away. And since most people want no commercials until they are expected to pay for the privilege, most companies should probably step away rather than pretending the offering is adequate for anyone other than a hobbyist willing to spend more time tweaking the config than hitting the "skip forward 30 seconds" button a few times an hour.

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

gtb wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 am
Which was actually the point I was trying to make, that to do it right costs real money, so commercial companies offering such a capability need to either step up, or step away. And since most people want no commercials until they are expected to pay for the privilege, most companies should probably step away rather than pretending the offering is adequate for anyone other than a hobbyist willing to spend more time tweaking the config than hitting the "skip forward 30 seconds" button a few times an hour.
Correct-0-mundo...

...but if SD is hiring part time editors to work from home... we can start negotiating that 'real money' I'm going to need.
(I can think of no more honorable work than removing advertising from TV Shows - but honor won't stand in for CASH)

:)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:18 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm
gtb wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 am
Correct-0-mundo...

...but if SD is hiring part time editors to work from home... we can start negotiating that 'real money' I'm going to need.
(I can think of no more honorable work than removing advertising from TV Shows - but honor won't stand in for CASH)

:)
No it won't!

At any rate, I find my solution to be the most cost effective. It is quicker to skip commercials when they're marked and if the marker is misplaced none of the content is missing. A reasonable, low cost solution that works well for us.

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:18 pm
No it won't!

At any rate, I find my solution to be the most cost effective. It is quicker to skip commercials when they're marked and if the marker is misplaced none of the content is missing. A reasonable, low cost solution that works well for us.
Yea, I got ad removal covered, as should most users annoyed enough by advertising to do something about it at the user level. I don't think SD should waste any time on it - with so much other stuff in dire need of labor... unless, of course, they have some ground breaking, industry shattering feature to be announced (Coming Soon).

lol

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 am

ACraigo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 pm
Sammy2 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:18 pm
No it won't!

Yea, I got ad removal covered, as should most users annoyed enough by advertising to do something about it at the user level. I don't think SD should waste any time on it - with so much other stuff in dire need of labor... unless, of course, they have some ground breaking, industry shattering feature to be announced (Coming Soon).

lol
I did get that email.. Can't wait to see what's up their sleeves but I'm pretty sure it isn't this.

hunnypuppy

Post by hunnypuppy » Fri May 31, 2019 11:39 am

Sammy2 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am
I use MCEBuddy with ComSkip and HandBrake invoked. I only mark commercials to create chapters easily skipped by Emby. I do this because too many times the last few seconds to minutes of my wife's shows were truncated and it is much easier to do this than to spend countless hours tweaking ComSkip Settings. I'm not sure but IDK if this will work with HDHomeRun Output or not.

BTW, I'm thinking of not re-encoding to h.264/mkv but rather back to mpeg2/mkv if possible because HandBrake puts a pretty hard hit on my CPU even though I have H/W Acc selected in MCEBuddy. My processor is well above 85% on all four cores and the temps push into the mid to high 80's too. This causes lag issues in Emby and I'm not too found of such high temps on my CPU too. This is a 3rd Gen i5 4690k Devil's Canyon Haswell so it really is no slacker, so to speak.
New here with HDHR + MCEBuddy.

I believe that MCEBuddy has the ability to limit the number of processors used in the conversions and also change the priority. I guess if you set it to low or reduce the number of processors it should reduce your CPU utilization without impacting your H/W accel.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:57 am

hunnypuppy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:39 am
Sammy2 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am
I use MCEBuddy with ComSkip and HandBrake invoked. I only mark commercials to create chapters easily skipped by Emby. I do this because too many times the last few seconds to minutes of my wife's shows were truncated and it is much easier to do this than to spend countless hours tweaking ComSkip Settings. I'm not sure but IDK if this will work with HDHomeRun Output or not.

BTW, I'm thinking of not re-encoding to h.264/mkv but rather back to mpeg2/mkv if possible because HandBrake puts a pretty hard hit on my CPU even though I have H/W Acc selected in MCEBuddy. My processor is well above 85% on all four cores and the temps push into the mid to high 80's too. This causes lag issues in Emby and I'm not too found of such high temps on my CPU too. This is a 3rd Gen i5 4690k Devil's Canyon Haswell so it really is no slacker, so to speak.
New here with HDHR + MCEBuddy.

I believe that MCEBuddy has the ability to limit the number of processors used in the conversions and also change the priority. I guess if you set it to low or reduce the number of processors it should reduce your CPU utilization without impacting your H/W accel.
True, but it never completes my conversations before more get in the que. I'll try again though..

Griffo

Post by Griffo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm

For those use MCEBuddy - are you leaving the file in the same location with the same name?

I use MCEBuddy today to do ad skipping as well as conversion to H.264 and metadata updates. I use it with Argus TV which works well but has not seen updates in 3+ years so i'm looking to move to the HDHR DVR. But Argus has a nice API where I can basically tell the database that recording X has now moved to a new location. HDHR DVR doesn't seem to have this functionality.
So how does it handle the file changing? Do you have to leave the filename and location intact?

hunnypuppy

Post by hunnypuppy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Griffo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm
For those use MCEBuddy - are you leaving the file in the same location with the same name?

I use MCEBuddy today to do ad skipping as well as conversion to H.264 and metadata updates. I use it with Argus TV which works well but has not seen updates in 3+ years so i'm looking to move to the HDHR DVR. But Argus has a nice API where I can basically tell the database that recording X has now moved to a new location. HDHR DVR doesn't seem to have this functionality.
So how does it handle the file changing? Do you have to leave the filename and location intact?
Yep, just leave the destination folder blank and don't enable the rename file option it should replace the original file. I believe it copies the original metadata over for HDHR files.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I am surprised no one has a script that works with linux. I am not interested in mcebuddy since it is windows only. I recently switched to Windows just to use mcebuddy but ended up switching back to debian for stability.