HD Homerun Prime and Tuning Adapter

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
HaroldH

HD Homerun Prime and Tuning Adapter

Post by HaroldH » Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 pm

I have been using my HD HomeRun Prime 3 for many, many years with no problem.
Unfortunately, we had a bad storm recently that took the power out for a while.
Afterwards, I am unable to see some premium stations through HomeRun tuner.
I've talked to the cable company ( Spectrum ). They even sent techs out twice.
Essentially the tuning adapter won't sync up with the Tuner. It just Blinks Yellow.
They replaced the Tuner Adapter twice, and they say all the codes on their end are
correct.

They now are telling me they think their is a problem with the USB on my HomeRun Prime. :o

I'm not sure that's it, Is there anyway to determine if the USB is good.
I know there is communication between the devices, I can see it in the logs, however the tuner adapter just will not sync up.

I would just order a new one, but I can't find a new hdhomerun prime 3, and the hdhomerun prime 6 doesn't seem to be out yet.

Any Ideas????

gtb
Expert

Re: HD Homerun Prime and Tuning Adapter

Post by gtb » Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 pm

HaroldH wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 pm
It just Blinks Yellow.
Constant blinking, or blinking in groups of 8, or 6, or 3 with pause after(*)? They all have specific meaning (most of which can be seen in the various TA screens).

That you can see the TA in the logs strongly suggests that the USB communications is fine.

(*) As I recall, eight blinks and a pause means the TA is not properly associated to your account, and can happen when you swap TAs. Six (and pause) means that the TA has not been able to communicate with the client (the HDHR). Three (and pause) means it is upgrading firmware. Constant means that it is still booting or trying to communicate (could be a bad TA; I have seen cases where you needed to replace the TA multiple times).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Most likely they have not provisioned correctly... moto or cisco area area? In some areas of spectrum the order they add equipment (which slots they are in) is important. In others it is important the TA sync up prior to connecting the usb cable while others need the connection first. If a cisco TA, there are lots of things on the diagnostics pages that one can look at, from what I remember on the moto TAs there was not really enough information there for anything other than basic troubleshooting (whether you have moto or cisco depends on your area, not that you get a choice).

One time I saw a storm wipe out something upstream and when they finally got things in place, they put the wrong info in for the SDV server (used the one for the community next door) that essentially killed SDV with TAs for several square miles (I just happened to be on the border and knew the provisioning was different).

HaroldH

Post by HaroldH » Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 pm

The Tuning Adapter blinking is constant. It's a Motorola Tuning Adapter.
The Tech mentioned that there was no pattern to the blinking.

Is there any chance that the problem is with the HomeRun?
That's what Spectrum is telling me. Is there anything I can check
to make sure it's working. I guess Spectrum's trying to put the problem on me.

I'm still thinking the problem is on their side,

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed May 22, 2019 1:20 pm

What do you see on the Tuning Resolver Menu screen on the HDHomeRun's web page?

HaroldH

Post by HaroldH » Thu May 23, 2019 8:20 am

Tuning Resolver Status
Authentication - Success
Downstream - Success
Upstream - none
Operational Status - initializing
User inactivity - none

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 am

HaroldH wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:20 am
Tuning Resolver Status
Authentication - Success
Downstream - Success
Upstream - none
Operational Status - initializing
User inactivity - none
As previously suggested, the fact that you get get info on the HDHR indicates the USB port is working (on both the TA and the HDHR).

The "Upstream - none" and the related "Operational Status - initializing" is the problem. It could be a bad TA (I have known it necessary to replace the TA multiple times to find one that (mostly) works). It could also be the plant or your residential wiring (the upstream is typically in the OOB ~8-10MHz range, and that frequency can be problematic).

And while this really should be something Charter should fix, I would probably try taking the TA (and the HDHR) to the cable demark and connect directly there before any residential wiring and see if it manages to achieve upstream connectivity and see what the levels are necessary to get it to at least establish the upstream. If the upstream levels are otherwise acceptable at the demark, then multiple splits or extended length or poor quality residential cabling can be an issue. Or you can try another TA swap (what is one more?).

Sorahl

Post by Sorahl » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 am

did you ever resolve this?