Windows 10 App - Unable to find HDHomeRun

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dallas6672

Windows 10 App - Unable to find HDHomeRun

Post by dallas6672 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm

I've been unable to get the Windows 10 app to find my HDHomeRun when it's located on a different network. Other devices like Android phones and Windows 7 are able to locate it on a different network without issues. If I take the two Windows 10 computers and put them on the same network as the HDHomeRun, they are able to detect it. The only firewall software that I using is the Windows firewall, which I've tried disabling, but it does make a difference. I've taken packet captures from the Windows 10 computers and I'm able to see the HDHomeRun responding on port 65001.

Is the HDHomeRun app on Windows 10 ignoring it because it's coming from another network?

Sample Cisco Switch config to allow access between subnets/vlans...

ip forward-protocol udp 65001
interface vlan1 (network where HDHomeRun is located)
ip directed-broadcast
interface vlan2 (network where other devices are located)
ip helper-address 192.168.1.123 (IP of the HDHomeRun)(You could also us the network broadcast IP instead the HDHomeRun if you prefer)

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Windows 10 App - Unable to find HDHomeRun

Post by NedS » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I don't believe that will work. The HDHomeRun and clients have to be on the same subnetwork because of the way they work. If you forward the right ports then you could hobble together something that works across networks and manually uses the vchannel URLs, but that's not very user friendly. It would be easier to run something like a VPN or VLAN, but it depends on what exactly you are trying to do. Is it necessary for your setup to have two different networks?

dallas6672

Post by dallas6672 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 pm

The current setup is working though, just not with Windows 10 for some reason. If I take one of the Windows 10 computers and reboot it into Windows 7 and it stays on the same network and gets the same IP that it had on Windows 10, it is able to detect the HDHomeRun. My Android phones are also able to detect it when they're on the same network as the Windows 10 and 7 computers.

vtinker

Post by vtinker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:23 am

I just want to add that I encountered the same issue specific to the Windows 10 app. I run VLANs in my house and separate my IoT devices (including my HDHR) on their own firewalled subnet apart from my PC and phones. With my current setup, my phones can discover and stream from the HDHR using the Android app no problem. My Emby media server can discover and stream from it as well using the APIs. Plex users on their forum can also use the APIs to stream live tv. The problem for me only occurred with the Windows app and only when VLANs were in play. After reading so many responses, I suspect the problem is specific to the Windows app being able to discover the tuner. Specifically, I wonder if it was hard coded to ignore multicast traffic from IPs outside of the same subnet as the Windows machine. In any case, if there is never going to be any roadmap down the road of allowing users to provide a static IP on the tuner itself and allow the various apps to manually point to the tuner IP and bypass the discovery process, if multicast is truly being ignored from different subnets, I would request that be removed in a future release so it can connect to and stream from a tuner in a different VLAN as well.

pr3dict

Post by pr3dict » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm

I would also like to request the ability to specify an IP address to connect to. Network security should be on the forefront of everyones mind and the convenience of using multicast/pdiscovery should not outweigh the security of segregating our devices.

Cortexian

Post by Cortexian » Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm

I would also love the ability for the Windows 10 App Store and prior versions of the app to allow a user to define a specific IP address to query for a device. Relying on network multicast seems like it's begging for trouble. Especially for those of us that like to segregate our IoT devices out into another network.

JohnEvans

Post by JohnEvans » Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 pm

Due to distance from the router that the HDHR is connected to, I need to connect some household PC's to access points so I'm running into the same issue.

I also would like the ability to specify ip address of HDHR.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

JohnEvans wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 pm
I need to connect some household PC's to access points
AP should not be an issue. I have Two devices connected to access point and have no issues. May need to check the settings in the AP.

JohnEvans

Post by JohnEvans » Wed May 22, 2019 10:18 pm

GGRussell wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am
JohnEvans wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 pm
I need to connect some household PC's to access points
AP should not be an issue. I have Two devices connected to access point and have no issues. May need to check the settings in the AP.
Thanks. Did you have to port forward through the AP's? I use TP-Link TL-WR743ND in router mode.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu May 23, 2019 6:59 am

With a "router" you are segregating you lan (making different networks)... an "access point" does not do that. Put it in bridge mode or at the very least connect your "ap" via a lan port, not wan port (i'd make sure to define the ip in the current range of your network, and probably also disable dhcp on the ap)

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Thu May 23, 2019 7:28 am

JohnEvans wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:18 pm
Thanks. Did you have to port forward through the AP's? I use TP-Link TL-WR743ND in router mode.
I have two TP Link Archer C7 V4. One is setup as router and other as AP. Go to the TP Link website to see how to properly set up AP for your model.

JohnEvans

Post by JohnEvans » Sat May 25, 2019 2:29 am

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will see what I can do.