Turn off auto discovery of new channels - dinki

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
NedS
Silicondust

Re: Turn off auto discovery of new channels - dinki

Post by NedS » Wed May 08, 2019 4:32 pm

signcarver wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am
dinki wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 am
NedS wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:42 am
Have you been doing any manual channel scans during this time?
Occasionally. Is this not allowed?

I'm pretty tired of this. I probably won't post about this anymore. Seems like it isn't very fruitful.
Supposedly for it to "behave" the offending channel must be picked up by a manual scan then disabled... as a manual scan essentially "clears" everything to what it discovers preserving settings only when possible with the newly found lineup.
Bingo. Automatic scans can only add entries to the internal channel list, but a manual scan will clear any entry that is not being received at the time of the manual scan. Thus, there is no more "ignore" record for those channels.

I still like the idea of being able to turn off background scanning, for various reasons. I'm just a support guy, so all I can do is help make the case for adding that option, but for the time being we have figured out this mystery.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pm

NedS wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:32 pm
signcarver wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am
dinki wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 am

Occasionally. Is this not allowed?

I'm pretty tired of this. I probably won't post about this anymore. Seems like it isn't very fruitful.
Supposedly for it to "behave" the offending channel must be picked up by a manual scan then disabled... as a manual scan essentially "clears" everything to what it discovers preserving settings only when possible with the newly found lineup.
Bingo. Automatic scans can only add entries to the internal channel list, but a manual scan will clear any entry that is not being received at the time of the manual scan. Thus, there is no more "ignore" record for those channels.

I still like the idea of being able to turn off background scanning, for various reasons. I'm just a support guy, so all I can do is help make the case for adding that option, but for the time being we have figured out this mystery.
The problem with wiping out the ignore setting on a manual scan means that if for some reason the channel is not presently visible (but had been before) and was marked as disabled, and is not immediately found in a manual rescan, when it is again picked up by a background scan, it will be added as enabled.

Please, allow for setting of manual channel scans to not wipe out previously disabled but now unseen channels. Also, an adjustable timeout for scans (whether manual or background), and allow us to disable the background scans.

dinki

Post by dinki » Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 am

rpcameron wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pm

The problem with wiping out the ignore setting on a manual scan means that if for some reason the channel is not presently visible (but had been before) and was marked as disabled, and is not immediately found in a manual rescan, when it is again picked up by a background scan, it will be added as enabled.

Please, allow for setting of manual channel scans to not wipe out previously disabled but now unseen channels. Also, an adjustable timeout for scans (whether manual or background), and allow us to disable the background scans.
This right here. Why isn't it set up like this anyway? If I go through the trouble of EVER marking a channel as unwanted then it should never be cleared unless I clear it.

@NedS I understand you are support, but do the devs even read the forums? Is what I, and others, are asking for unreasonable?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu May 09, 2019 7:53 am

dinki wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 am
rpcameron wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pm

This right here. Why isn't it set up like this anyway? If I go through the trouble of EVER marking a channel as unwanted then it should never be cleared unless I clear it.

@NedS I understand you are support, but do the devs even read the forums? Is what I, and others, are asking for unreasonable?
If the lineup is viewed with subscribed=all, do the channel settings persist?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Though i understand asking such here, that would be more appropriate in yours or the other cablecard autoscan issue thread as in ota they would not be present.

dinki

Post by dinki » Thu May 09, 2019 3:27 pm

signcarver wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 pm
Though i understand asking such here, that would be more appropriate in yours or the other cablecard autoscan issue thread as in ota they would not be present.
Is this directed to me? If so, I am 100% OTA but thanks for your guidance again.

dinki

Post by dinki » Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:53 am
How do you do this? Is that a url option?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Thu May 09, 2019 3:55 pm

dinki wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pm
rpcameron wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:53 am
How do you do this? Is that a url option?
If you have a Prime you would add that to the end of the tuner IP address to see both subscribed and unsubscribed channels (ie http://192.168.1.44/lineup.html?show=all). It doesn't work with OTA tuners.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 09, 2019 4:11 pm

I will raise a feature request internally to add an option to manually run the same scan as the background scan, where it will add new channels and update the information for existing ones where needed, but not remove any channels that are not found. This would preserve any disabled channels.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu May 09, 2019 4:13 pm

signcarver wrote:
It's tough to keep the threads straight because there is so much cross-posting. There are also relevant aspects that apply to this discussion regardless of the signal source (such as disabling the scans or modifying the timeout for tuning).

If the moderators had changed the thread titles to reflect whether the thread was addressing OTA, CableCARD, or just autodiscovery issues in general, that would have cleared up many issues in the beginning. (Also, some additional notice to a user, such as an email or something, when they randomly choose to split a thread would be nice, too. The process is rather arbitrary at times.)

dinki

Post by dinki » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:11 pm
I will raise a feature request internally to add an option to manually run the same scan as the background scan, where it will add new channels and update the information for existing ones where needed, but not remove any channels that are not found. This would preserve any disabled channels.
This sounds like the right approach. Thanks.

dinki

Post by dinki » Fri May 10, 2019 7:29 am

rpcameron wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:13 pm
signcarver wrote:
It's tough to keep the threads straight because there is so much cross-posting. There are also relevant aspects that apply to this discussion regardless of the signal source (such as disabling the scans or modifying the timeout for tuning).

If the moderators had changed the thread titles to reflect whether the thread was addressing OTA, CableCARD, or just autodiscovery issues in general, that would have cleared up many issues in the beginning. (Also, some additional notice to a user, such as an email or something, when they randomly choose to split a thread would be nice, too. The process is rather arbitrary at times.)
Also reading the thread a bit more thoroughly before commenting would eliminate some of the confusion as well. I don't want to discount community 'help', but I am really posting this here to get feedback and exposure from the SD staff as they are the true 'support' team and only ones who can actually remedy this ongoing annoyance.

wadewood

Post by wadewood » Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Another day, another 20 crap channels auto appeared in my lineup.

dinki

Post by dinki » Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 am

wadewood wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm
Yeah, it doesn't feel like this is much of a priority for the devs.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 am

dinki wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 am
wadewood wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm
Yeah, it doesn't feel like this is much of a priority for the devs.
In this specific case (I'm not sure about the other threads, such as with the Prime), yes, this is not a top (drop everything) priority. It's not the result of a bug, so it's a feature request. A perfectly valid one, IMO, but understand that feature requests don't tend to be top priority when we don't have unlimited resources.