SageTV instructions?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Post Reply
KryptoNyte
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

SageTV instructions?

Post by KryptoNyte » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Do you folks still have a place where SageTV users can come to find directions on how to get your hardware running with Sage?

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by jasonl » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 am

I'm pretty sure we removed all the SageTV instructions after they got bought out. Fairly simple process though, install SageTV, then install the HDHomeRun software for Windows. In HDHomeRun Setup, set the BDA Compatibility Mode to SageTV, click OK, then open SageTV and go through the tuner setup wizard in SageTV as you would with any other tuner.

techpro2004
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by techpro2004 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Just a little addendum to Jasonl's instructions. If you are using a prime, you may need to install opendct also. (https://github.com/enternoescape/opendct)

NYPlayer
Posts: 3538
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A
Location: Portland OR, 97217

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by NYPlayer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:59 pm

I use OpenDCT for all my tuners including OTA but there is no native support for Primes in SageTV OpenDCT is definitely a must have.

KryptoNyte
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by KryptoNyte » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 am
I'm pretty sure we removed all the SageTV instructions after they got bought out. Fairly simple process though, install SageTV, then install the HDHomeRun software for Windows. In HDHomeRun Setup, set the BDA Compatibility Mode to SageTV, click OK, then open SageTV and go through the tuner setup wizard in SageTV as you would with any other tuner.
Boy that is pretty simple for OTA. Ever consider providing those instructions to your customers?

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by NedS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:51 pm

KryptoNyte wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm
jasonl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 am
I'm pretty sure we removed all the SageTV instructions after they got bought out. Fairly simple process though, install SageTV, then install the HDHomeRun software for Windows. In HDHomeRun Setup, set the BDA Compatibility Mode to SageTV, click OK, then open SageTV and go through the tuner setup wizard in SageTV as you would with any other tuner.
Boy that is pretty simple for OTA. Ever consider providing those instructions to your customers?
IIRC, Sage is now open source, so I'll put it on the list of things to write a guide for.

KryptoNyte
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by KryptoNyte » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm sure that whatever you write up and provide on your website for instructions [to further promote the sales of your hardware] will be fine, Ned.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:13 pm

SageTV will hit their 3 year anniversary of being open source in about 2 weeks, and you're the first person I can remember asking for instructions in that time. To answer your earlier question, no, we hadn't considered it, because it never came up, but we will put it on the list of articles we're working on for the new instruction system that we're putting together.

grumpygramp
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by grumpygramp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm

KryptoNyte wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm
I'm sure that whatever you write up and provide on your website for instructions [to further promote the sales of your hardware] will be fine, Ned.
@jasonl
I'd also be interested in the instructions on how to get SageTV set up with Prime tuners.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 13850
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 pm

SageTV uses the OpenDCT program to interface with CableCARD tuners, including HDHomeRun PRIME. Refer to the OpenDCT readme and SageTV forum thread.

KryptoNyte
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by KryptoNyte » Wed May 01, 2019 5:30 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:13 pm
SageTV will hit their 3 year anniversary of being open source in about 2 weeks, and you're the first person I can remember asking for instructions in that time. To answer your earlier question, no, we hadn't considered it, because it never came up, but we will put it on the list of articles we're working on for the new instruction system that we're putting together.
That's strange. I was under the impression that this gent would have benefited from some kind of instructions;

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=71419

The reason you don't get many requests is likely because people typically end up in the SageTV forum where they have to muddle through setting up your company's hardware every time they build a new system and have forgotten what's required, or new prospective users that just simply give up because they can't find anything here, further enforcing your comment - not many new SageTV users these days. In any event, if Silicondust would like to promote their products for use in SageTV, I'm sure folks would look forward to seeing your instructional write-up.

Post Reply