Windows Media Center and current OTA tunners

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
crb_rigger

Windows Media Center and current OTA tunners

Post by crb_rigger » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm

While waiting on the announced but unavailable Prime 6 (and recording/playback of DRM content), I would like to add an additional OTA tuner yo my Windows Media Center. I have a Prime (HDHR3-CC) & DUAL (HDHR3-US). I have 4 major stations the I care about + the sub-channels.

I have a couple of questions.
Do all of the currently available SD OTA tuners work with Windows Media Center?
If so, should I add an EXTEND or a DUO?
OR, if the Quatro works with WMC, would it be better to replace the DUAL, or add it to the Prime 3 and DUAL?

Thank you for any information you can provide!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Windows Media Center and current OTA tunners

Post by jasonl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm

All current HDHomeRun products work with WMC.

You would likely want either a Duo or Quatro, depending on your tuner needs. Personally, I find 4 tuners to be sufficient for my OTA needs, and would go for a single Quatro and put the Dual in the spare parts box, but if you think you would benefit from 6, you can use TunerSalad to increase the tuner count in WMC to support 6 OTA tuners.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:16 pm

I too would recommend the Duo or Quatro. I'm using 2 Duo's right now, but would like to get a Quatro to replace them; the primary reason being to replace my 3-way splitter with a 2-way splitter and reduce signal loss.

An alternative to TunerSalad is EPG123... just use the client which has a 'Tweak WMC' button which has a few other tweaks available other than increasing the tuner limit.

Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 am

jasonl wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm
All current HDHomeRun products work with WMC.

You would likely want either a Duo or Quatro, depending on your tuner needs. Personally, I find 4 tuners to be sufficient for my OTA needs, and would go for a single Quatro and put the Dual in the spare parts box, but if you think you would benefit from 6, you can use TunerSalad to increase the tuner count in WMC to support 6 OTA tuners.
Yep, just learned what I was calling my two HDHR4s are now called Connect.
Just wished SD would keep supporting XP because that's what I like building my PVRs with.
Had to go to an archive to dig up one that worked, in a half-assed way.
On the W7 machine, worked right out of the box but can't get my legacy MDP-130 to
run in W7, far superior than using WMC and the remote is sweet, better than a Hauppauge.

Fix that and I'd go Quattro. Plus the Cliff Watson EPG Project for the PVR.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 pm

Lone Browncoat wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 am
On the W7 machine, worked right out of the box but can't get my legacy MDP-130 to
run in W7, far superior than using WMC and the remote is sweet, better than a Hauppauge.
The MyHD MDP-130 can be made to work on Win 7 and 10 but with some limitations. There's an AVSForum thread, MyHD on Windows Vista & W7 / W8 / W10. If you're the poster "browncoat" on that forum then you may have seen that thread already.
Lone Browncoat wrote:
Fix that and I'd go Quattro. Plus the Cliff Watson EPG Project for the PVR.
In my XP days I used one, then two HDHRs and CW_EPG for recording and an MDP-130 for playback and spare recorder if needed. I thought that was the ideal DVR setup. But the MyHD is retired because my current Win 10 PC doesn't have a slot for it. So now I use Kodi on a Raspberry Pi to pull recorded shows from the PC via NFS. I use haneWIN NFS Server on the PC. Not free but well worth the price. Easy to set up and then it Just Works.

I still use CW_EPG for recording. That's all it does (no playback) but it's the most versatile DVR program I've tried. No grid guide, just a columnar listing, but that's OK because I rarely open it except to add a series or a one-off recording. I've gone on vacation for a month or more and CW_EPG wakes the PC each day to download the Schedules Direct guide and again for any recordings, and emails me to say what it's done and how much disk space is left.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:11 am

Lone Browncoat wrote:
Just wished SD would keep supporting XP
Given that MSFT no longer supports XP (I believe even the very very pricy custom support has ended), and most of the tooling no longer supports it, I really think one has to agree that that was never going to happen. And W7 end of support date is around six months away (and the implied end of support in tooling).