Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
Post Reply
nateb
Silicondust
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by nateb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am

Jpsd1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Now when you scroll through discover and hide a show instead of returning to where you left off it jumps back to the top of the listed content requiring you to scroll back down past content you have already reviewed. The same thing occurs when using discover to find or hide movie and sports content.
This is actually a bug. It should be the way you are used to. I'll add it to the list.

neil459
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by neil459 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

Problems with Discover, macOS.

1) The image getting bigger when selected still covers the time. It should NOT ever cover the time.

2) When a program is selected the left part of the green bar should show the channel, not some mini graphic that is hard to read and meaningless.

3) When a program is selected the left part of the green bar shows for example 1... when no image is available, which is meaningless. It should compress, even if it is harder to read. 1... is meaningless.

4) The red dot indicating a recording should be right in the corner where it minimizes conflict with the image. And if the background is red, then the red dot should have a bold white (or other contrasting color) around it. The shadow is not enough to make it stand out. Try looking at the record indicator for "3rd Rock from the Sun".

5) The time should show the actual date, there is plenty of room in the black bar. When searching through the future it's easy to get lost as to which week is being shown.

EDIT: It seems that when installing the beta, it resets the "Early Access" preference on macOS. So I was looking at the old UI, please ignore.
Last edited by neil459 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jpsd1
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:51 am

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by Jpsd1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:16 am

This is actually a bug. It should be the way you are used to. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks Nate!

nateb
Silicondust
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by nateb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am

neil459 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

1) The image getting bigger when selected still covers the time. It should NOT ever cover the time.
Could you give a screenshot? In my discover, the image is underneath the time bar whenever they overlap, so it can't cover time. Maybe we are looking at different pages?

neil459
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by neil459 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm

nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am
neil459 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

1) The image getting bigger when selected still covers the time. It should NOT ever cover the time.
Could you give a screenshot? In my discover, the image is underneath the time bar whenever they overlap, so it can't cover time. Maybe we are looking at different pages?
https://ibb.co/mqPgGxH

nateb
Silicondust
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by nateb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm

neil459 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm
nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am
neil459 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

1) The image getting bigger when selected still covers the time. It should NOT ever cover the time.
Could you give a screenshot? In my discover, the image is underneath the time bar whenever they overlap, so it can't cover time. Maybe we are looking at different pages?
https://ibb.co/mqPgGxH
That's the old UI. Looks like Macs are having trouble updating for some reason.

DebbieFL33
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:17 pm
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by DebbieFL33 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Congratulations on release of the new UI beta. The additions are very positive especially Discover Now.

The sequential time breakdowns can also be used as a quasi solution to being able to view potential tuner conflicts/over-scheduling, especially for the next several days during broadcast prime time. We record everything we want to watch (to be able to view later with ffd on commercial breaks) and being a single Prime device user...this will be a big help in the 2-3% of the time I find that 3 tuners are not enough...and where we have to use an alternative for the 4th show, i.e., record at another time, watch rebroadcast on streaming channel, etc.

As SD will be now be looking at making improvements in the other sections of Discover, I would like to share my process in scheduling movies (currently we use another service as our DVR due to the current limitations on the SD movie discover)

1. Sort future movie listing icons chronologically by airdate/time (Best if there is a further option for descending or ascending-user can decide, Note: my current dvr defaults to this order only in ascending order)
2. Identify & select possible movie selection by poster icon (usually contains Name and Main actors)
3. Based on the individual screening dates-time drop down offered- Select which airing to record. I try to avoid selection of airings during broadcast prime time (too many potential conflicts). Can also decide which channel...sometimes even foregoing recording as the only channel offered is one which records a small boxed SD rendition (i.e., BBC America - cannot hide it as some shows we watch).
4. Thus the next time going to Discover Movies (usually every 3 days for me) - Anyone in the household only have to page down to the end and then up several screen pages to find the new movies added since their last visit. I further view from the top down over several screen pages (to ensure that over the next 3 days there aren’t any movies not marked for record/already recorded (DVR program has these marked) which I would like to record).

Note: Being a “Prime” multi user household and avid movie fans (20% of our recordings are for movies - all genres), it is a necessity for our DVR solution to be able to efficiently manage future movie recordings - at any time we have >700 movie listings (over the 2 week schedule).

mchias13
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:57 am
Device ID: 131D4055

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by mchias13 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Movies tab

Shows 3 rows of movies. The 3rd row is cut off (not a problem) however when you move the active selection to that row it doesn't scroll the screen so the show remains cut off. Can't see title (the problem)

On win10 with adjust screen size on or off

Noticed, happens on any row that is partially cut off whether you have scrolled the screen up or down.

The active selection should always be fully visable.

neil459
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by neil459 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 am

nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm
neil459 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm
nateb wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am


Could you give a screenshot? In my discover, the image is underneath the time bar whenever they overlap, so it can't cover time. Maybe we are looking at different pages?
https://ibb.co/mqPgGxH
That's the old UI. Looks like Macs are having trouble updating for some reason.
Found part of the problem, when I installed the new beta file on a new machine that did not previously have the client installed, it did not set the "Early Access" preference. This seems wrong since I installed a beta version, but not clearly wrong. After changing the pref, the new UI showed up, but many problems exist that I will post separately.

On an existing install, I cannot get the new UI even after installing the beta software, then resetting, then setting the early access pref. I also tried rebooting the computer and changing the pref back and forth, no luck. This client is installed on the same machine as the DVR.

nateb
Silicondust
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 pm
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by nateb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:31 am

DebbieFL33 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:30 pm
3. Based on the individual screening dates-time drop down offered- Select which airing to record. I try to avoid selection of airings during broadcast prime time (too many potential conflicts). Can also decide which channel...sometimes even foregoing recording as the only channel offered is one which records a small boxed SD rendition (i.e., BBC America - cannot hide it as some shows we watch).
I'm wondering if there's another way to do this. At the moment, conflicts should theoretically not matter, because the HDHomeRun will just keep trying to record until there isn't a conflict. However, if you run into conflicts a lot, the trouble there is that there's no way to know when or if that non-conflict will occur.

It seems it would be nice if the UI could, in some kind of shorthand, indicate already existing conflicts when you open the recording dialog, so you can get a sense immediately which recording will be next. And then you could as you request, select a specific recording or, alternatively, X out the channels you don't want FOR THAT SPECIFIC RECORDING. Because, as you say, BBCA is good for some things while maybe not so great for others.

Online
demonrik
Posts: 1129
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by demonrik » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:22 am

nateb wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:31 am
It seems it would be nice if the UI could, in some kind of shorthand, indicate already existing conflicts when you open the recording dialog, so you can get a sense immediately which recording will be next. And then you could as you request, select a specific recording or, alternatively, X out the channels you don't want FOR THAT SPECIFIC RECORDING. Because, as you say, BBCA is good for some things while maybe not so great for others.
I'd like to see a warning icon/overlay/highlight.. Highlight the potential conflict.
Allow user do whatever they want - but supply the info so they can make decisions.
Could even add a row in the 'recordings' tab to show next 24hr conflicts that you can detect.. and provide some options for user to decide what to do.

In same way I'd love to see another icon which shows that the file already exists, or might exist by the time that episode might record. Thus I can see where there might be issues with guide missing episode info to allow the record to actually happen..

And while I'm here :) ....
2 more asks.
1. Highlight where I have 'deleted' this episode before and thus it won't rerecord.. And provide me a way to reset it.
2. Provide in the discover menu somewhere a way to 'unhide' shows. This could be a new menu/list.. or maybe in discover 'now' you should always show so I can scroll and 'unhide'

goofnroxx
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 am

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by goofnroxx » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm

And, at the risk of making people hyperventilate, the channel number and network should not matter. Who cares if the show is on CBS or ABC? What you care about is the show, not the random distributor. When Brooklyn 99 changed channels, did it suddenly become better or worse? The only reason it would ever matter is if you are somehow using that channel number as a means of shorthand for other, more important info, like whether the show is in HD or new.
+1

Gridview is dumb, and should head out to pasture. It's simply the way it's always been and what people know and change is scary. ;)

JeffRand
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:30 am
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by JeffRand » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:49 pm

goofnroxx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am
Gridview is dumb, and should head out to pasture. It's simply the way it's always been and what people know and change is scary. ;)
Maybe that is what SiliconDust thinks. I certainly hope not, if they want me as a customer. I want at least the functionality that I have now in WMC, and if they can provide that, they will have me as a long term customer. Otherwise, I will stick with WMC until I die or it does, whichever comes first. :lol:

bruiserker
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by bruiserker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 am

JeffRand wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:49 pm
goofnroxx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am
Gridview is dumb, and should head out to pasture. It's simply the way it's always been and what people know and change is scary. ;)
Maybe that is what SiliconDust thinks. I certainly hope not, if they want me as a customer. I want at least the functionality that I have now in WMC, and if they can provide that, they will have me as a long term customer. Otherwise, I will stick with WMC until I die or it does, whichever comes first. :lol:
This.

I have a few shows I record. When I sit down to watch TV I don't have show in mind, but I know the channels I like, so will scroll to, and through those channels to see if something catches my eye, a number pad and paging make it quick. I don't want to scroll through someone else's ideas of what is interesting just to find something to watch.

Why does this have to be such a PITA? All I wanted when I paid into the kickstarter was a WMC replacement, but I'm getting a Netflix wannabe that is unusable for my style.

And no, I want my grid guide in channel order, why do you have to overthink this?

NYPlayer
Posts: 3538
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A
Location: Portland OR, 97217

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by NYPlayer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:41 am

bruiserker wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 am
JeffRand wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:49 pm
goofnroxx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am
Gridview is dumb, and should head out to pasture. It's simply the way it's always been and what people know and change is scary. ;)
Maybe that is what SiliconDust thinks. I certainly hope not, if they want me as a customer. I want at least the functionality that I have now in WMC, and if they can provide that, they will have me as a long term customer. Otherwise, I will stick with WMC until I die or it does, whichever comes first. :lol:
This.

I have a few shows I record. When I sit down to watch TV I don't have show in mind, but I know the channels I like, so will scroll to, and through those channels to see if something catches my eye, a number pad and paging make it quick. I don't want to scroll through someone else's ideas of what is interesting just to find something to watch.

Why does this have to be such a PITA? All I wanted when I paid into the kickstarter was a WMC replacement, but I'm getting a Netflix wannabe that is unusable for my style.

And no, I want my grid guide in channel order, why do you have to overthink this?
That is the same way I scroll .. I go to the Grid Guide select FX and scroll to the right and look for movies I might be interested in.... I do not care to look through hundreds of pictures to find a movie I might like. I already know what channels have the movies I prefer. Hence that is why I have moved to Channels DVR.

Post Reply