Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

jetlounge wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:05 pm Awesome! That was it! I will bookmark that now.

FWIW... the Start/Stop on the HDHR Engine App from DSM Package Center has never worked for me and I forgot that every time the Synology reboots I need to remember to go to your UI and then Start / Stop from that web page. That's the only way it resets.

All is good now. Thanks!
there were some issues with the wrong ARM wrapper binary on some Synologys/Qnaps
Should be fixed now

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

jetlounge wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:05 pm Awesome! That was it! I will bookmark that now.

FWIW... the Start/Stop on the HDHR Engine App from DSM Package Center has never worked for me and I forgot that every time the Synology reboots I need to remember to go to your UI and then Start / Stop from that web page. That's the only way it resets.

All is good now. Thanks!
I'm not sure how it's supposed to work or what I did but for me, this package auto starts the recording service every time I've tried it. That's really the #1 reason I wanted to install it.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Much thanks for this. But all 3 drive locations are still showing 0.5.1. Am I too impatient?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm Much thanks for this. But all 3 drive locations are still showing 0.5.1. Am I too impatient?
nope - I forgot to kick off a script.
All ready now.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Nice work, I especially like the 'not implemented' tab! :)

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Just curious, from a guy who has no idea how hard or time consuming it is to do these wonderful programs but would it be at all possible in the future to actually have the DRV UI package and the DVR Manager as one? I'm stoked at these programs and don't want to be ungrateful but it's just a thought.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 pm Just curious, from a guy who has no idea how hard or time consuming it is to do these wonderful programs but would it be at all possible in the future to actually have the DRV UI package and the DVR Manager as one? I'm stoked at these programs and don't want to be ungrateful but it's just a thought.
well, they were one app once upon a time.
But since the DVR manager is maintained in the github owned by silicondust I didn't want to overstep and add too many features there.
hence we split the 2.
The DVR manager concentrates on what is needed for that record engine instance.. while HDHR-DVRUI is broader in scope.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Thanks for the clarification!

tnj146

Post by tnj146 »

Hello,

SiliconDust Support told me to post my unsolved problem here.

I'm hoping to be able to play HDHomeRun recorded TV programs using the "Media Player" application on my 5 yr old SONY Bravia. I am able to use the SONY TV to select and watch MP-4 programs that I moved onto my Synology DS918+ running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update.

I've successfully installed your HDHomeRun DVR Manager ver. 0.6.0 package but am unable to create the /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR folder on my Synology NAS.

When I open the Medial Player app on the TV and select my NAS > Video, I do see a folder named HDHomeRunDVR which has 7 sub-folders inside (bin, download, images, ...) none of which contains any item to display.

This seems to be the same folder found in DSM: File Station > web > HDHomeRunDVR

Support said to follow your instructions: "How to expose the default RecordPath as a share (or even just see it in FileStation)". Those instructions worked fine until I received the error message: "The operation failed. Please log into DSM and try again." This was right after the
- uncheck 'Enable Recycle Bin'
- click 'Next', then click 'Apply'
steps. There are a couple of additional steps in the folder creation wizard (encryption and configure advanced settings) that were not mention in the instructions. I clicked 'Next' at each screen leaving the choices untouched.

Also, when I open the HDHomeRun application on my Mac Mini, the HDHomeRun screen is black (except for the various TV channels along the right side) and says
"Unable to play channel
DVR Failure"

I'm stuck.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Tom

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

tnj146 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm I've successfully installed your HDHomeRun DVR Manager ver. 0.6.0 package but am unable to create the /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR folder on my Synology NAS.
The package creates it - the instructions provided simply make it a shareable folder
When I open the Medial Player app on the TV and select my NAS > Video, I do see a folder named HDHomeRunDVR which has 7 sub-folders inside (bin, download, images, ...) none of which contains any item to display.

This seems to be the same folder found in DSM: File Station > web > HDHomeRunDVR
Yes - this is the Web share with the UI.. I can't comment why your NAS is showing it under Video.. that seems wrong and something up with your settings... by default your NAS will share out the web folder under //NAS/web
Support said to follow your instructions: "How to expose the default RecordPath as a share (or even just see it in FileStation)". Those instructions worked fine until I received the error message: "The operation failed. Please log into DSM and try again." This was right after the
- uncheck 'Enable Recycle Bin'
- click 'Next', then click 'Apply'
steps. There are a couple of additional steps in the folder creation wizard (encryption and configure advanced settings) that were not mention in the instructions. I clicked 'Next' at each screen leaving the choices untouched.
Make sure you run the command from ssh console first BEFORE you try and add the share via the Filestation or Control Panel
If you fail to run this command the synology tools get confuse as they try to create an already existing folder, because they can't see the folder..
Again the command is

Code: Select all

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd—
You also need to run the other command to make sure the record engine can still write to the folder after you do this since running synoacltool means the file permissions are replaced with ACL permissions so now you need to add back the http group or user.
i.e.

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR group:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--
Could be also you need to specifically add the http user.. so try also running

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR user:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--
Also, when I open the HDHomeRun application on my Mac Mini, the HDHomeRun screen is black (except for the various TV channels along the right side) and says
"Unable to play channel
DVR Failure"
This could be for many reasons...
If live TV - then could be in doing some of the messing around above you might have messed up permissions.
Record Engine needs permission to create the 'Live TV' folder at a min. so if that's not in the HDHomeRunDVR folder you will run into problems. However - it should be easy to spot this issue because the same permissions are needed for log file generation and recordings.
Are you seeing new log files in the UI?

TJH132

Post by TJH132 »

This is a pre-emptive question: What should I expect when I manually install the latest package on my new DS1019+?

Some background: I currently have the HDHomerun DVR engine running on an Nvidia Shield TV. I'm in the process of moving many of my home network activities to the DS1019+, including IP Cams, Plex server and -- hopefully -- the DVR engine. After reading through the first pages of comments on this thread, I've been hesitant to make the switch, fearing I'll get bogged down in recording location/shares issues that I don't have the knowledge to correct. Later comments seem to indicate this package has become pretty mature.

So... If I go on and install it, will I be able to (1) start the HDHomerun app on the Shield TV and operate Live TV/DVR without noticing the switch, and (2) be able to point Plex to the new recording location for remote viewing of recordings?

Thanks for your patience.

TJH

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

TJH132 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:12 am This is a pre-emptive question: What should I expect when I manually install the latest package on my new DS1019+?
No matter if you use the SPK or manually install make sure you disable the DVR engine on the shield.
I've never run it on the shield, but I assume you should be able to transfer files to the NAS.
Some background: I currently have the HDHomerun DVR engine running on an Nvidia Shield TV. I'm in the process of moving many of my home network activities to the DS1019+, including IP Cams, Plex server and -- hopefully -- the DVR engine. After reading through the first pages of comments on this thread, I've been hesitant to make the switch, fearing I'll get bogged down in recording location/shares issues that I don't have the knowledge to correct. Later comments seem to indicate this package has become pretty mature.
Package is quite mature. Many of the issues people face are complicated by use of getting files off the NAS.
Also, TBH, it's partly my fault since Synology is doing something which goes against what I initially was trying to do when I created for QNAP. Mainly I don't believe that adding shares just for the sake of a folder is the right security default.. However, Synology makes this difficult because unless you make it a share the DSM File Station doesn't see it, and that makes things harder than it should. Don't get me wrong - Synology does at least add ACLs which improves the security aspects, but it's still exposing a needless share, and IMHO adding ACLs to a home device that doesn't need that level of complication. And thus I will do one more change to package which I'm working on which will default it to create a share with appropriate ACLs - just have to bite the bullet on Synology.
Anyway - that shouldn't deter you..
You can install the SPK. It will create all that you need to run the DVR engine.. It defaults to /volume[1-9]/HDHomeRunDVR and will record there. You won't see it in File Station or as a share, but you can point Plex to it and it will scan folder. If you need to do anything more advanced, you will need SSH access.. and to be very honest, it doesn't take much to enable the share/file station access.
So... If I go on and install it, will I be able to (1) start the HDHomerun app on the Shield TV and operate Live TV/DVR without noticing the switch, and (2) be able to point Plex to the new recording location for remote viewing of recordings?
1) You need to start the App and disable the DVR on there
2) AFAIK yes - never tested it. Worst case you need to add additional permissions to read/write with simple SSH command

TJH132

Post by TJH132 »

demonrik wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 am
1) You need to start the App and disable the DVR on there
2) AFAIK yes - never tested it. Worst case you need to add additional permissions to read/write with simple SSH command
Thank you for the prompt and patient reply! I'll work on this over the weekend.

TJH

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer »

I just got the HDHomeRun working on my Synology 5 Bay NAS DiskStation DS1019+ … but when I go to the webpage I get this see pic below … Not sure what to do next as this is new to me. Thanks for your hard work on this.