(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Glad it was worked out, gilbo125! It's also really cool to know how the PVR will behave in this instance, HTTP 403: Forbidden is something I can probably key off of internally to alert the user that something may be wrong with the subscription. I've been meaning to ask SiliconDust if there is a way to determine the end user's status before making all these calls to their backend. If the user has no subscription at all, I can disable things. If the user has a subscription but there is an issue, I can provide a pop-up/toast notification. I'll try to remember to ask that tonight :)

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Leia users having problems with audio-only streams -- a couple notes:

emveepee has discovered that the Milkdrop 2 visualization(s), and perhaps others, causes problems with these streams in Leia. Please disable visualizations if enabled and see if you continue to have audio-only streams just drop out or lock up Kodi for no apparent reason.

I opened a bug report for Kodi (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15563) after digging in on this as much as I can (I still have no access to a real MPEG-TS audio only live stream). What I found may or may not be valid, I'll let Team Kodi make that determination, but it looks to me like when a live audio-only stream is played, the internal MPEG demuxer will never set at least one important variable, the start time, since there is no video stream present. This manifested for me as an inability to seek properly on audio-only streams, but if it is indeed a valid bug, I think there can be other effects.

So if you're still out there frustrated with Leia and audio-only, give disabling Milkdrop a try. I haven't forgotten about ya, I just haven't found anything wrong with the PVR to change (yet).

Thanks for sticking with it!

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm

djp952 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 pm
jachin99 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 pm
I grabbed a copy of your changes, and cleared my guide data. That seemed to do the trick as my guide populates so thats a welcomed encouraging sign. Choosing a channel from the recent channels list stilI doesn't give me madvr playback but everything else does. I suppose the next feature request would be timeshifting if that's possible. If you plan to go all the way with this I suppose I'll have to subscribe to their DVR service. Either way thanks for the help so far
Funny you mention the DVR service, without the HDHomeRun DVR engine set up somewhere you can't do timeshifting anyway. The HDHomeRun tuners don't provide this functionality on their own. Other products implement that with HDHR tuners via their own DVR functionality. All you can get from a tuner is a live stream - there is no back buffer to work with.

In regard to getting timeshing to work, I dug in and conclusively determined again that as long as DS Player requires the Kodi stream URL 'hack' (the function inside is literally called "ThisIsAHack()" - no joke) to enable the functionality, timeshifting will never work with it. It's a limitation of the Kodi code, when you do things this way it jumps through a handful of hoops internally and never sets a magic 'seekable' flag. To flag 'seekable' you must handle the stream yourself, and when you do DS Player doesn't do it's tricks.

I'm not sure how you would like me to proceed at this point; I certainly don't want to push you towards spending money on a service that ultimately isn't going to do what you want to do. I also don't know what the plans are for DS Player as a product, it seems to have been stagnant since the final Krypton release. But the truth is that if you want to use this PVR with DS Player successfully, you will need an HDHomeRun DVR engine and DS Player will need modifications.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure that your needs are going to be able to be met here. If DS Player can be updated to not require use of the stream URL 'hack' method, in theory you should be able to use any PVR you want, including the current version(s) of this one.

FWIW, I didn't really look at the difference with going through recent channels yet.
Timeshifting is a must for me but I also want to say thanks for working with me. I have only come across a few developers that are as eager to help as you are. I'm not done with this just yet but I'm taking a break for a little bit. My next move is to take another look at the filter rules, and see if I can fix things with streaming setting turned off by telling DS player to use the merit system, and setting filter merits. If your familiar with that you will know that its about the best way to permanently break your video player so quite a bit of research needs to go into that.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 pm

jachin99 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm
Timeshifting is a must for me but I also want to say thanks for working with me. I have only come across a few developers that are as eager to help as you are.
No worries, my friend. There isn't a lot going on with the active development, just working with some folks and tinkering with Kodi to try and get the audio-only issues fixed up.

I'm not against submitting a PR for DS Player as well, I just haven't gotten that deep into it yet. I haven't looked at their code in almost 2 years, perhaps there is a suggestion or two that would make it all 'right' for ya.

grover

Post by grover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 pm

djp952,

Just a quick !Thank You!

Was reading a post over on Kodi forum about your pvr. (You asked not to respond there)

For whatever reason, my pvr/wmc on Debain stretch laptop stopped working correctly, after some adjustments yours works perfectly.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:34 pm

grover wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 pm
djp952,

Just a quick !Thank You!

Was reading a post over on Kodi forum about your pvr. (You asked not to respond there)

For whatever reason, my pvr/wmc on Debain stretch laptop stopped working correctly, after some adjustments yours works perfectly.
Glad to hear it! Be sure to let me know if you run into any problems! I appreciate not making anything on the Kodi forums "about me" as well. Which reminds me I should check in on the gentleman working on the port to see if I can help with anything there. At a minimum I should share the status of the audio-only struggles with Leia :)

Skyecairns

Post by Skyecairns » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Confluence EPG

Estuary EPG
[/quote]

I came across these pix of an epg. I noticed in both cases the genre is show properly. All the genres in my epg are "Other/Unknown" is there something I need to turn on or off to get the correct genres?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Skyecairns wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:23 pm
I came across these pix of an epg. I noticed in both cases the genre is show properly. All the genres in my epg are "Other/Unknown" is there something I need to turn on or off to get the correct genres?
Try going into Kodi settings> PVR & Live TV> General, then turn off "Synchronize channel groups with backend". I think that's how I got the genres to show up.

Skyecairns

Post by Skyecairns » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks but that made no difference in my epg. Still only get Other/Unknown as my category/genre :|

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Skyecairns wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:21 pm
Thanks but that made no difference in my epg. Still only get Other/Unknown as my category/genre :|
I believe there is also a setting in the PVR addon to set genres. Make sure to clear guide data it will repopulate.

Skyecairns

Post by Skyecairns » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I've done both. Clearing the genres in the config of the addon only seems to change the epg from colour coded to b+w or vice versa. So the addon has the genres info ok to populate the epg with colour its just the listing that is always Other/Unknown.

Skyecairns

Post by Skyecairns » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 pm

I've looked at it a bit closer. Shows that are colour coded in the epg do have a genre , not always right, but they do have a genre. Shows that a grey/white have the Other/Unknown as there genre. Must be looking up some table and when they don't find it give it the Other/Unknow genre. Just odd La Femme Nikita is Show/Game Show ditto for Walker, Texas Ranger. Seems it can handle News/Current Affair shows better. :oops:

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:05 pm

NYPlayer wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:35 pm
I believe there is also a setting in the PVR addon to set genres. Make sure to clear guide data it will repopulate.
I love how customizable Kodi is but I hate how many different places the one setting you want to change might be hidden in. They should have a search function just for settings. Of course if they did add that kind of search capability it would end up being buried 8 levels deep in some obscure sub-menu nobody could find.

usafle

Post by usafle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 am

For those of us running CoreELEC, they pushed out and update the other day that caused this plug-in to be incompatible. So, for the time being, no live TV for me in the bedroom.... FYI

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:18 pm

usafle wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 am
For those of us running CoreELEC, they pushed out and update the other day that caused this plug-in to be incompatible. So, for the time being, no live TV for me in the bedroom.... FYI
Are you using timecutter's build or mine? CoreELEC agreed to handle their API change differently so that third party add-ons would be compatible again.

You may just have to reinstall using the 'regular' version of the add-on.

I checked their 9.0.1 notes and they indicate the API restore was in this new build.

Screwing with published APIs always ends badly. I do respect what they were accomplishing and also grateful they accepted my suggestion to make it compatible again. I don't know if there are other third party PVRs out there or not, but this let's CoreELEC work with anything that works with Kodi.