DVR subscription live TV, multi-streams not working as advertised

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
sanya

DVR subscription live TV, multi-streams not working as advertised

Postby sanya » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm a new HDHR DVR customer, first time I'm using it, although I've had my HDHR Prime since about 2012 with Windows Media Center.

I set up and activated the DVR service on one of my Windows 10 desktops I am designating as the DVR host. If I launch the HDHomeRun Windows 10 app on another device, I can see that it now has a record button, and if I press record it seems to record programs to the host.

However, I am having several issues:

1. If I cancel a recording task, it continues to record on the host, even if the task is no longer present.

2. I noticed that if I am watching live TV in the HDHR app on any device, the network activity of the DVR host is zero. Nothing in, nothing out. If I watch the same channel on another device, in the HDHomeRun Config GUI, I can see that it dedicates another tuner for the same channel. As I understood it before purchasing, one of the main features of the HDHR DVR was supposed to be that you had 3 people in your house watching the same show on the same channel, it wouldn't take up 3 tuners. Instead it should share the same tuner and live TV buffer. Am I wrong?

I don't know what is wrong with my configuration, or what I need to do to fix it. Or if none of this is actually supported as I understood.
  • The tuner is an HDHomerun Prime.
  • The channels are NOT DRM'd
  • The tuner is running the most current firmware in my.hdhomerun.com and the HDHomeRun RECORD status is OK
  • The apps being used are on Windows 10, Android, and Android TV'
  • The firewall is disabled on the DVR server
Last edited by sanya on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: DVR subscription live TV, multi-streams not working as advertised

Postby signcarver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm

There is no canceling of a recording that releases a tuner.

Live tv does not work that way as the client only knows its start time not anothers. There are clients that let you resume a recording like that.

Sounds like it isn't detecting the dvr and/or might have another dvr engine enabled... though you didn't mention, win 7/8.1 hdhomerun "app" (view) does not support the dvr and one is to use kodi

sanya

Postby sanya » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Figured as much about the pause and resume of Live TV.

Still not understanding the issue of the tuners though. I'm using the Android TV app and two Windows 10 apps. The dvr engine is recognized, or should be, because if I press the record button on any of the apps, it begins recording on the DVR server. It just doesn't stream live TV through the DVR server.

ERamseth

Postby ERamseth » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am

Last time I tested, live viewing of the same channel in multiple places only used a single tuner. But this was several app versions and several firmwares ago. there must be something off with your config.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 am

2. HDHR DVR was advertised as being able to "pause live TV on one device and resume on another"......I can't figure out how to do this. If I pause and launch the app on another device, it launches a new independent tuner instance and does not pick up the pause buffer from the other client.
Is there any chance you remember where you saw this advertised? We think we've narrowed it down to a few places that say, "Pause on one device and resume on another with multi-user, multi-device, multi-room Seamless Viewing™." Or similar. Usually that wording only shows up on DVR pages, but it's still definitely confusing. We're going to reword it to something like "Pause a recording on one device and resume on another with multi-user, multi-device, multi-room Seamless Viewing™."

sanya

Postby sanya » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:15 am

Last time I tested, live viewing of the same channel in multiple places only used a single tuner. But this was several app versions and several firmwares ago. there must be something off with your config.
That's what I don't understand. This is all a new, clean install. The DVR server is a fresh install of Windows 10. The Android TV stick is brand new. The Windows 10 client with the app is also brand new as of this week.

As for the pausing Live TV thing, I guess it was my interpretation that was off, but it was from the text on the DVR product page as well as some past forum threads that I had in my memory. That's not an issue for me though, because nothing else is working as it should currently. I really need to know why nothing is streaming through the DVR server even though it is recognized by the client and functions as a DVR for recording.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:48 am

We've gone ahead and fixed the wording regarding the pause TV stuff to be a bit less confusing. May be a bit of a delay as it caches.

I've talked to support and it looks like there is indeed a problem. You should be getting multiplexing. Please turn on diagnostic info per this thread: viewtopic.php?t=69066

Then contact support@silicondust.com and we'll see if we can figure out what's wrong.

sanya

Postby sanya » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks, I'll open a ticket.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”