New PRIME 6 is 100 Base-TX? Hope it's a typo

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF

Re: New PRIME 6 is 100 Base-TX? Hope it's a typo

Postby uconnctfan33 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:26 am

Nate or Nick - can we get a December update .. ANY info on the device? has it gone to production yet?
I'd Love an update too, Please???

null145

Postby null145 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 am

I think it is a mistake to use a 100Mbps connection on a new device with the 60fps frame rates coming out of some cable companies. Early voip adapters had a problem with high pps and 100Mbps ports. Sure the bandwidth was up to snuff but the lower pps of the interfaces made calls highly susceptible to jitter and cutouts of audio. Many devices switched to gigabit connections, not for the bandwidth, but for the capability of processing more packets per second.

replayreb

Postby replayreb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm hoping no news is good news. If it was still a ways off you would think they would admit their mistake and take down the Prime 6 webpage. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Lol

uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF

Postby uconnctfan33 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 am

I'm hoping no news is good news. If it was still a ways off you would think they would admit their mistake and take down the Prime 6 webpage. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Lol
I too am hoping that the no news is good news as well, but I personally feel like its wishful thinking for all of us Prime users. They say a Mid 2018 release and 2018 is almost over with no news at all. :(

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 am

I'm hoping no news is good news.
I think it is most likely (at this point) that the next formal update will happen on or about the second week of January 2019 (CES). And typically someone will post pointers to any press releases and/or company interviews that are relevant (so "watch this space"?).

jeffddntdt

Postby jeffddntdt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 am

But to go this long without any real information or time frame? All i've seen is production issues. Maybe it would be faster at this rate to of found someone else to produce the product. Being, what seems to be, 6 months behind schedule has gone from OOPS. to OHH Crap!!

A five second nugget would go along way. Right now with little or no options for the old prime, people will stop waiting an buy other products. Not my intention but starting to wonder if this will even happen.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:17 pm

All i've seen is production issues.
If you actually read between the lines of all the posts (yes, that means you have to read 100% of the posts, even ones not directly titled as related to the Prime6, starting from the original announcement date (which may require you to use various archival stores)) it does not appear to be strictly a production issue. But the bottom line, which is what really matters to those that want to purchase the device, is that it is not available now.
Last edited by gtb on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

renewgeorgia

Postby renewgeorgia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 am

I am guessing the delay has more to do with SD wanting to promote its Premium TV service and that putting out the HDHR 6 would in essence compete with its own service since it entrenches people with their current paid cable company instead of encouraging them to switch to SD Premium TV.

Why else would they not push for a Christmas shopping season release?

I hope they still release it...

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 am

I am guessing the delay has more to do with SD wanting to promote its Premium TV service and that putting out the HDHR 6 would in essence compete with its own service since it entrenches people with their current paid cable company instead of encouraging them to switch to SD Premium TV.

Why else would they not push for a Christmas shopping season release?

I hope they still release it...
If this is the case, they better fix Premium TV. I'm considering switching to OTA, and would happily sign up for Premium TV in lieu of my cable subscription. The problem is this ongoing contract dispute (that wasn't revealed to be a contract issue until a week into service interruption), and the picture quality. If they're able to restore their lineup (Food, Discovery, HGTV and Hallmark are all important channels in my household) and improve their picture quality, I'll then switch.

For those looking for Prime 3s, pray SD can get their act together. Because if they do, I'll put up for sale my 3 Primes. But until SD can deliver on their promise of Premium TV, they're not going anywhere.

kd6icz

Postby kd6icz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:07 am

If all cable companies switched to H.264 then a 100Mbps connection would have plenty of bandwidth to support 6 streams. But one thing I hope the engineers are considering is 4K HEVC is on its way!

Not to mention it might be years before some of the rural cable networks upgrade.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”