Maybe SFNTV as a provider?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
rrussis82

Maybe SFNTV as a provider?

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 pm

I saw an old article from 2016 of a fiber company in GA that tried an online TV service that seems like they want to pursue it again. Maybe SD can try to strike a contract with them. It seemed like a good line-up. Here was the article I found with a link to their website.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sfn-tv- ... per-month/

spencer777

Re: Maybe SFNTV as a provider?

Postby spencer777 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 am

I saw an old article from 2016 of a fiber company in GA that tried an online TV service that seems like they want to pursue it again. Maybe SD can try to strike a contract with them. It seemed like a good line-up. Here was the article I found with a link to their website.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sfn-tv- ... per-month/
I remember they originally tried to go nationally, but couldn't.

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 am

Just read the article & it looks like SFN is pulling a huge bait & switch. Down in the comments, posters are stating that none of the el-cheapo products listed in the article were available & SFN requested the article publisher to pull links to the el-cheapo products on their site.

Not sure if SD should work w/ a company like that.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 am

Yes, their national service seemed short-lived. This came 2 months after your linked article:

"SFN TV Now’s Nationwide Streaming Service Is No More"

http://www.rokuki.com/sfn-tv-nows-natio ... -more/amp/

And even if they weren't strictly regional, it seems doubtful they'd have the rights to resell channels to other providers. That seems unique to Omniverse.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 am

Just read the article & it looks like SFN is pulling a huge bait & switch. Down in the comments, posters are stating that none of the el-cheapo products listed in the article were available & SFN requested the article publisher to pull links to the el-cheapo products on their site.

Not sure if SD should work w/ a company like that.
Frankly, I'm not sure why this was even posted now. The article and comments are from 2.5 years ago, about a beta for a local service that mistakenly tried to go national. SFN might be a great company, but it seems pretty obvious that they don't have the rights to distribute TV service nationally.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am

That is why I said "tried an online TV Service" and mentioned it looks like they want to try it again.. Go to their website, there is a place to put your information in to notify you when it will be available.. I know it's old but if they have rights to cable networks and had an infrastructure to provide it in IPTV then maybe as they search for a viable way to bring it back SD could be the way along with an already existing customer base.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 am

That is why I said "tried an online TV Service" and mentioned it looks like they want to try it again.. Go to their website, there is a place to put your information in to notify you when it will be available.. I know it's old but if they have rights to cable networks and had an infrastructure to provide it in IPTV then maybe as they search for a viable way to bring it back SD could be the way along with an already existing customer base.
Where do you see that on their web site? All I see is this: "Contact us to validate your address for access on our network."
https://southernfibernet.com/index.php/ ... tv-sign-up

They did say they were interested in "retooling" their national offerings... way back in August 2016. I'm guessing it didn't work out:
http://www.cordcutterstalk.com/sfn-tv-n ... e-service/

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

I simply put that up for SD to see as an option they could look into. Don't you want more options and your missing channels back?
* had to edit a few time for fear of material being removed for forum etiquette (insults)

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm

I simply put that up for SD to see as an option they could look into. Don't you want more options and your missing channels back?
* had to edit a few time for fear of material being removed for forum etiquette (insults)
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across so poorly. I'm just at the point where I'd rather see SD be realistic about the issue. Like it or not, the path to restoring the missing channels almost certainly goes through Omniverse or the networks themselves, and neither of those entities seem to care much about SD.

As for additional channels, there just aren't other Omniverse-style distributors floating around either (at least not for "real" TV channels). If anything, bringing up the quick 2016 failure of this SFNTV service only seems to reinforce the point about how difficult and unlikely this all is.

I'm not just trying to be a Debbie Downer -- I honestly think the long-term health of Premium TV would be better served by ending this drama, and pivoting toward an embrace of the remaining channels at a new price point (and hopefully with improved PQ?).

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”