OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
needavid

Re: OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Postby needavid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 pm

I submitted a ticket (I have a Quatro) and have worked with the techs on the channels not tuning correctly. They told me, "The engineer has identified the problem and they were gathering information for a firmware update." I guess we'll see what happens. If you are having issues, please submit a support ticket so SD can have as much information as possible to get this fixed ASAP. In the meantime, My local ABC is completely useless and dead in the water. No Jeopardy for me until this is solved!

Wbmanx

Postby Wbmanx » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Are you having issues with KABC?

needavid

Postby needavid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:14 pm

I’m having trouble with WTVD 11 in Raleigh, NC.

bmitchell

Postby bmitchell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:34 am

I submitted a ticket (I have a Quatro) and have worked with the techs on the channels not tuning correctly. They told me, "The engineer has identified the problem and they were gathering information for a firmware update." I guess we'll see what happens. If you are having issues, please submit a support ticket so SD can have as much information as possible to get this fixed ASAP. In the meantime, My local ABC is completely useless and dead in the water. No Jeopardy for me until this is solved!
I submitted a ticket last November and they closed it without any resolution, less than a month later.

needavid

Postby needavid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm

I submitted a ticket last November and they closed it without any resolution, less than a month later.
My ticket is currently open. But I’ll keep an eye out for that. I currently have a $150 brick sitting on my desk and they had better get this fixed!

rachurch

Postby rachurch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 am

In MD, WJZ 13.1 goes from 100% Symbol Quality to None constantly. BestBuy return date ends tomorrow, so it will be going back. :cry:

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 am

A status update, perhaps reflecting what needavid claims a tech told him, would be a good thing for SD to issue, IMO. If we'd still been having the problem we had with WWJ-DT... well, we wouldn't, possibly, because I might well have returned our Quatro long ago.

rljnc

Postby rljnc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes I think they should fix issues they have with current equipment instead of showing off new at CES, since this has been going on since November or maybe before for some and we have no response is just beyond professional.

psychic99

Postby psychic99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:56 am

I will add that WNED-TV in Buffalo is exhibiting this same problem. I have specifically pointed the yagi off axis to get 90%. There are two other channels in the same location, they do not exhibit this issue (Fox, CW). This is the ONLY channel I see this on. I can even get stations from canada at 50% and there are no issues.

Signal strength is around 90% rock solid, even in weather (and we get lots of it here). Signal quality will go from 100% for a few seconds, drop out (with corresponding pixellation) and then come back. The other two (CW, FOX) are at 100% since they transmit in higher power, but signal quality stays 100% all the time.

I know this is a repack chan, but LTE bandpass no good for this right now (if potentially LTE interference).

UHF chan 43 PSIP 17.1 (647Mhz)

rachurch

Postby rachurch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am

I am not advocating for a competitor, but I decided to try Hauppauge's WinTV-quadHD in my WMC PC. It is a PCIe card. It tunes all my Baltimore channels without any of the dropout behavior I was experiencing with the HDHR Connect Quatro. Of course, it requires that you have a PC to plug it into (which I do, since I was coming from a cablecard setup and wanted to "cut the cord.")

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:13 am

I am not advocating for a competitor, but I decided to try Hauppauge's WinTV-quadHD in my WMC PC. It is a PCIe card. It tunes all my Baltimore channels without any of the dropout behavior I was experiencing with the HDHR Connect Quatro.
I think it's been pretty well established there's something going on with the HDHR QC. One hopes that, once the CES smoke has cleared, SD will find the time to update the status of this issue.

B1GD4DDY

Postby B1GD4DDY » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:20 am

The way I see it, WTVD changed something on their end, because this wasn’t an issue in early Nov.

I will be glad if SD can address the behavior in a firmware update, but I couldn’t wait any longer. Picked up a used HDHR4-2US Connect of eBay. Assigned only Channel 11.1/11.2/11.3 to that tuner. Left all other channels assigned to my HDHR5-4US Connect Quatro and life is good again!

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 am

Because the HDHR viewer picks the wrong tuner for 11.1, I had to find another viewer. I have a Nvidia Shield TV on my UHD TV and use ProgTV beta app for live TV watching. It works off of m3u playlist and I just built a list that used the IP address of my HDHR Connect instead of my Quatro. It even can work with an EPG XMLTV service like Zap2xml

Wbmanx

Postby Wbmanx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 pm

Because the HDHR viewer picks the wrong tuner for 11.1, I had to find another viewer. I have a Nvidia Shield TV on my UHD TV and use ProgTV beta app for live TV watching. It works off of m3u playlist and I just built a list that used the IP address of my HDHR Connect instead of my Quatro. It even can work with an EPG XMLTV service like Zap2xml
It did not pick the wrong tuner, you don't know how to make it pick the right tuner. You have to block the channels on the tuner that you don't want to use. I did it.

alkregha

Postby alkregha » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 am

I have been watching this thread and a few similar ones for a few weeks. This one is interesting because it is in my same location (Raleigh area).

I have the same problem as everyone here, and will be submitting a ticket tonight. I have owned an HDHomerun Connect since October 2012 (black, old model) that still works like a champ on all channels including WTVD (ABC 11.*). I also own a Connect (HDHR4-2US) that I bought in October 2015, also still works like a champ on all channels.

On my primary TV I run EyeTV on a Mac Mini. I recently deployed Plex Live TV on all my other TVs (running on NAS, FireTVs as front ends). To increase my number of tuners I bought the Quatro from Best Buy on Black Friday. I have one antenna (Mohu Leaf with Amplifier) in my third floor window. When I first deployed the Quatro, ABC started dropping out. I thought it was because of the new splitter, or that I bumped the antenna, or a million other things. I started using the Config GUI to debug, and found the same intermittent drop in symbol quality and signal quality. Eventually I reverted to my old setup (now outside the return window), and found that the issue is with the Quatro only. I did some more testing to isolate the issue to that, and am now waiting patiently like the rest of you for a firmware fix (if possible). As a hardware engineer, I have my fingers crossed that software can save the day :) .

It seems like they made HW/FW change(s) to the new devices that is/are making them really sensitive to changes/issues in the signal from the towers, specifically in the UHF band. I am glad to see them making improvements, but the old saying of "if it ain't broke..." seems to apply here.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”