Possible to flag primarily audio channels in the EPG?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Possible to flag primarily audio channels in the EPG?

Postby djp952 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi! I was wondering if it would be possible to (at some point) provide a flag of some kind in the EPG data that indicates if a channel is primarily an audio channel as opposed to a video channel? I realize that having this available from the tuner lineups is probably impossible since these channels do typically provide a video stream and there would be no good way to know from a channel scan or inspection of the MPEG-TS data. Having the EPG data indicate the type of channel seems like a reasonable way to accomplish it.

My inquiry is mainly for applications such as Kodi that provide both "TV" and "Radio" categories in their interface. If there was a way to discern audio channels from "regular" ones, those specific channels could be separated out, and perhaps even demuxed to exclude the video stream(s), for the end user.

Such a feature may be beneficial to the HDHomeRun App as well, I think it would be pretty nice to be able to know that the FiOS channels that start with "MC" (Music Choice?) are basically radio stations, and instead of showing a static image of Jay-Z go to a screensaver or cool visualization instead :)

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Possible to flag primarily audio channels in the EPG?

Postby nickk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I think we have that information - I will check...

Nick

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:56 pm

FYI, there is a bit in the MPEGTS PMT for music channels which signals that the video stream consists of still images.

See still_picture_flag in the video_stream_descriptor (H.222 2.6.2)

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Postby djp952 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 pm

FYI, there is a bit in the MPEGTS PMT for music channels which signals that the video stream consists of still images.

See still_picture_flag in the video_stream_descriptor (H.222 2.6.2)
How cool - thank you!!

Return to “Development Support”