Antenna recommendations

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Antenna recommendations

Postby ACraigo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm

The coax is RG6. Half of the cable I am using was installed by Time Warner for HD TV to a junction box. The cable to the antenna is 100' RG6 for outdoor use. All ends were factory installed (I know they can still be bad). I use the same ground Time Warner used. I also have a
Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV Preamplifier installed but I seem to get better results with the power turned off.
So, you're saying 100' of new coax goes from the antenna to a big splitter installed by the cable guy - and from there to the rest of the house on their installed coax? <--- I've done that 100 times. Not a problem.

And to be clear about that amplifier - it's a two-part system:
Antenna--->Pre-Amp (on the mast at the antenna)--->100' coax---->power unit (part 2)--->Big Cable Splitter--- The House.

Providing all the embedded cable is good (fairly safe bet) that would probably work as laid out above. You can confirm if that's the way you have it.

larrylegg7@gmail.com

Postby larrylegg7@gmail.com » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Amp is a 2 part system. Coax is only 1 to 3 years old. Unfortunately my current antenna is in the best position possible. I cannot move my house or the neighbors or the neighbors beyond them to a different position. I am trying to make the best choice with the limited options I have.

So getting a bigger antenna wouldn't help?

https://www.channelmaster.com/Masterpie ... m-5020.htm

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:28 pm

That's horrible. I think that's even worse than my buddy's cabin that's out in the middle of nowhere. Literally nowhere.

I don't even know where to tell you to start. That's not laziness on my part. Or a lack of desire to help. I literally have no idea.

Well, no reasonable idea. Going under the assumption that a Rilly, Rilly High Tower is probably not in the cards...
Thanks JSeymour Looks like an antenna is not in my future. I figured that I can get 2 channels somewhat with an cheap indoor antenna that i'd be able to get much more with a good outdoor antenna. I didn't know what any of that information meant on TVFools, but since it's looking pretty bad, ill stick with my Prime device.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm

larrylegg7@gmail.com:
Amp is a 2 part system.
The part down below I'm guessing is the power supply. Again: If turning it on only makes things worse, just remove both bits entirely. Having it in there passively isn't helping you, either. It may be hurting you.
Coax is only 1 to 3 years old.
It's probably ok, then.
Unfortunately my current antenna is in the best position possible. I cannot move my house or the neighbors or the neighbors beyond them to a different position. I am trying to make the best choice with the limited options I have.
Well, then, I guess what you have is the best you're going to get.
So getting a bigger antenna wouldn't help?

https://www.channelmaster.com/Masterpie ... m-5020.htm
Highly unlikely, in my opinion. You can try it. RF is a strange beast, and sometimes things work that, on paper, should not. Make sure you can return the antenna if it does not.

Btw: Gain is not free. Gain is achieved by narrowing the radiation pattern. So your stations off-axis will probably get worse. E.g.: Compare my antenna's radiation patterns: Winegard Model HD7078P Engineering Specifications to the slightly higher-gain Winegard Model HD8200U Engineering Specifications. You'll notice the latter antenna's radiation patterns are somewhat more narrow. That's how gain in a directional antenna is obtained.

rrussis82:
Thanks JSeymour Looks like an antenna is not in my future. I figured that I can get 2 channels somewhat with an cheap indoor antenna that i'd be able to get much more with a good outdoor antenna.
As with Larry, above: You can give it a shot, but don't be surprised if the results are less than satisfactory. Again: Theoretically speaking, you've got a steep hill to climb. If you can get an antenna to try you can return, it's only your time, right?
I didn't know what any of that information meant on TVFools, but since it's looking pretty bad, ill stick with my Prime device.
It's not looking just "pretty bad," it's looking very bad. But if you're getting two channels "somewhat" with a cheap indoor antenna (which you failed to mention initially), then who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:08 pm

larrylegg7@gmail.com, the RCA ANT751 is a solid antenna (it's my primary, in fact), but it's the wrong kind of antenna for KC. You're in one of the few markets in the US that has no high VHF channels (including post-repack), so most of the antenna is wasted on you. I'd replace it with either a 4 bay bowtie like the Channel Master CM-4221HD. It's a pretty reasonable choice for an outdoor or attic install, and it won't catch too much wind or ice like you might see from some other designs. It has a wider beam than an 8 bay model so it shouldn't have any trouble with your broadcasts that are in different directions.

rrussis82 you can probably get ABC/Fox/NBC/CW/PBS from Springfield with a sufficiently large antenna, but CBS or the Hartford stations are unlikely. The problem with living in a place called Three Rivers is that you're pretty much by definition at the lowest elevation around, and there are enough hills in your part of the state to block out reception.

larrylegg7@gmail.com

Postby larrylegg7@gmail.com » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks Jasoni. Thant's the info I was looking for.

larrylegg7@gmail.com

Postby larrylegg7@gmail.com » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm

larrylegg7@gmail.com, the RCA ANT751 is a solid antenna (it's my primary, in fact), but it's the wrong kind of antenna for KC. You're in one of the few markets in the US that has no high VHF channels (including post-repack), so most of the antenna is wasted on you. I'd replace it with either a 4 bay bowtie like the Channel Master CM-4221HD. It's a pretty reasonable choice for an outdoor or attic install, and it won't catch too much wind or ice like you might see from some other designs. It has a wider beam than an 8 bay model so it shouldn't have any trouble with your broadcasts that are in different directions.
jasonl,

I have a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV amp. Would you recommend me using it? Or will I just have to try it?

sageav

Postby sageav » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Hello all. New to the OTA world, and asking for a recommended outdoor antenna in the NYC area to work with the quad tuner unit. I noticed someone recommended the RCA but said it was not meant for the KC area.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 am

I have a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV amp. Would you recommend me using it? Or will I just have to try it?
Try your installation without it and see how it performs. If you have marginal signals, then try the amp. Problem is: If you have a mix of strong and marginal signals, adding a preamp may make the strong signals too strong and overload the HDHR CONNECT.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 am

Hello all. New to the OTA world, and asking for a recommended outdoor antenna in the NYC area to work with the quad tuner unit. I noticed someone recommended the RCA but said it was not meant for the KC area.
Go to TV Fool and enter your address information. You can post the results here if you want somebody to give you an antenna recommendation.

petemitchell

Postby petemitchell » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 am

What antenna would you recommend?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... b6fe3fb614

The only channels I care about are:
WCMH-DT - 14
WBNS-DT - 21
WSYX - 48
WWHO-DT - 46

Thanks!

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 am

What antenna would you recommend?
For WCMH-DT, WBNS-DT and WSYX you might be able to get away with as little as a Winegard FlatWave Amped, if you have a good place to put it and there's no building or other obstruction directly in front of it. Certainly no more than an Solid Signal DB2 in the attic or on a short chimney mast.

But WWHO-DT is going to be problematical. It's 20° or so off the bearing of the other stations, has 1Edge diffraction, and the noise margin is down under 20dB. Plus it's higher-frequency UHF. (Looks...) They will be moving down to channel 23 in the repack, which will help, but maybe not enough.

You might get all four with the DB2 or DB4 on a mast, aimed more-or-less around 221° magnetic, but I wouldn't place any bets on it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Sinclair is moving WWHO to their existing tower with WSYX and WTTE as part of their repack change, so that will be a huge improvement to WWHO's signal. Unfortunately, that's not until 3/13/2020, so still a while to wait on that one. I'd probably go with a 4 bay bowtie (like https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB4X) in the attic and call it good enough.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”