DVR Feature Request - Commercial Removal

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
dugiehowsa

DVR Feature Request - Commercial Removal

Postby dugiehowsa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:22 am

Greetings. I was wondering what SD's take is on adding a Commercial Removal feature to the DVR package? Plex DVR currently does it, but not well. Plex DVR utilizes COMSKIP on the back end, and then transcodes a brand new file for replay. I realize that transcoding is beyond the scope of SD's products, but if the DVR package could produce an output such as an EDL file, that would be a start. If it could also make the Commercial Skipping feature easier to customize, by providing some basic options in a graphical front end (such as being able to use different configurations based on the recording), instead of having to manually edit scripts and text files, that would also be a plus.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: DVR Feature Request - Commercial Removal

Postby signcarver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 am

SD has previously stated they have no intention on offering such, things may change but they have many more things to get done prior to that as anyone can already skip commercials with remote or even post process the file if they want to.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:47 am

SD has previously stated they have no intention on offering such, things may change but they have many more things to get done prior to that as anyone can already skip commercials with remote or even post process the file if they want to.
But they also expressed they had no desire for a hardware DVR system, and well look what they announced.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am

Pretty much this. Commercial removal is a neat feature, but we've already got a pretty full plate right now.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 am

But they also expressed they had no desire for a hardware DVR system, and well look what they announced.
Never heard that as they essentially announced the scribe last year as the duo+ and at the start of the KS implied such may eventually be available.

What I have heard them say is not combine client with dvr (i.e. no hdmi port on devices)

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Postby elabra » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Greetings. I was wondering what SD's take is on adding a Commercial Removal feature to the DVR package? Plex DVR currently does it, but not well. Plex DVR utilizes COMSKIP on the back end, and then transcodes a brand new file for replay. I realize that transcoding is beyond the scope of SD's products, but if the DVR package could produce an output such as an EDL file, that would be a start. If it could also make the Commercial Skipping feature easier to customize, by providing some basic options in a graphical front end (such as being able to use different configurations based on the recording), instead of having to manually edit scripts and text files, that would also be a plus.
Many use MCE BUDDY - requires another product and is more complicated than if it was all in one but is "hands off" and it gets the job done pretty well once you have it set up.

dugiehowsa

Postby dugiehowsa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 am

Many use MCE BUDDY - requires another product and is more complicated than if it was all in one but is "hands off" and it gets the job done pretty well once you have it set up.
I am running Plex DVR on LibreELEC, after migrating from the SD DVR running on a QNAP, so MCEBuddy is not an option.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”