roku media player works - why no app?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rreed2000

Re: roku media player works - why no app?

Post by rreed2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:49 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 am
rreed2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am
It is my understanding that all Roku devices with firmware v.9 or later support mp2 and will display the tuner's output via the Roku Media Player app. So an app could be developed for HDHomeRun but it wouldn't work on earlier firmware releases. Not sure if the channel store checks your firmware level when you download an app. So I am guessing Roku doesn't want the hassle of explaining to people with older firmware why the app isn't working.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=139050
Wanna watch interlaced content?
I don't.

Been waiting 4 months for SD to de-interlace their PTV content.
SD is counting on your device doing the de-interlacing.
Roku 3 and earlier don't de-interlace.
Period.
Roku 3 was discontinued three years ago. I agree with your sentiment that it would be best if SD handled the deinterlacing, but you might want to upgrade your Roku hardware.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:15 pm

rreed2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:49 pm
Roku 3 was discontinued three years ago. I agree with your sentiment that it would be best if SD handled the deinterlacing, but you might want to upgrade your Roku hardware.
The rate I upgrade my hardware coincides with the freely available extra local resources that may, or may not be available. I upgraded one unit to an Ultra. There are still plenty Roku 3s, Roku 2s and more ancient in the lineup of possible devices I serve content to.

Most of the world is like me - not going to upgrade, at least soon. Smell that? That's reality.

Will electric cars save the planet?
Well, the one you're driving won't 'cause there will be 80 gabillion of the gas guzzlers like what's parked in my yard still running for at least the next 1000 years. <--- about the same time it'll take for a Roku app for HDHR to hit the streets.

consorts
Device ID: 378163771 55318008

Post by consorts » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm

i'm about to buy a 2018 tv with 4k capable roku built in;
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6 ... -2018-r617

can anyone here confirm if my hdhomerun extend live ota channels are
playable from this tv? what about the new streaming premium channels?

i have an LG that can do it, but that has it's own flavor of linux in it.

daurora
Device ID: EXTEND 10504C45, CONNECT 1040082F & CONNECT Quatro 10712728

Post by daurora » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 am

consorts:

In my quest to have a "family friendly" OTR DVR system I have finally reached the goal by using the Emby DVR server, a Silicondust tuner and all my Roku players (Vers. 3 all the way up to the latest Ultra). This is truly a problem free solution.

If you buy that Roku TV and you want trouble free Live TV and also wish to watch recorded shows, then I suggest you set up the Emby DVR server as well.

Daurora

consorts

Post by consorts » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm

instead of another thread, i thought i'd ask this here...

i just bought a TLC 65R617 with 4K Roku built in.
i know these newer roku can access my DVR/NAS files
and can access each hdhr extend tuner and fav channel
so my question is - which app does this best?

the roku default media player, or is there anything better?
my main concern is NOT how easy the GUI is to use,
rather how up to date the decoding is because my past
experience with playing DVR files off older Roku's is
they often have problems with newer encoding schemes,
and i don't just mean h.265, even a lot of h.264 files
won't play properly on my older 2K Roku 3.

i'm talking about files i may get from friends,
not the big reliable old h.264 hdhr creates.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 pm

If you want any sort of data or guide, you'll need an app that fully integrates that, like Plex or Emby. If you genuinely only care about video playback, I don't think it really matters that much.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

All apps on Roku use the exact same player. There is only one player and decoder available.

consorts

Post by consorts » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

tmm1 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm
only one player and decoder available.
really? so the decoder is roku based, everything else is merely gui.

that's sad... roku does such a poor job keeping up with algorithms.

most of the h.264 files that play fine on my PC won't on a roku :cry:

harmoncollege

Post by harmoncollege » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:48 pm

I have a Roku Premiere Plus. My HD Homerun Extend is transcoding at "mobile" (720p h.264) because I want my DVR recordings to be smaller. When I try to watch Live TV on my Roku through Plex, it will only hold the stream for about 3 seconds and then buffer again. After that happens a couple times, it just stops and says the signal may be too weak.

However, if I use the Roku Media Player, it played the video stream from HD Homerun beautifully, but I had no sound. I went into the Roku audio settings and selected "Dolby D". Boom...audio also worked through Roku Media Player. But there's no guide that way.

Why does Plex Live TV have such a hard time playing the video stream, since it is already transcoded by the Extend? Yet, the Roku Media Player has no issue. I'm using it over gigabit ethernet rather than WiFi.

Frustrating.

HokieLife

Post by HokieLife » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Why does Plex Live TV have such a hard time playing the video stream, since it is already transcoded by the Extend?
This is frustrating, but you may be able to fix it. I have a setup that is at least somewhat similar - Plex, HDHR Extend, Roku. I have been able to get Live TV to work. I don't have any info on what OS you are using to run your PMS, or what CPU you use, but I can suggest some things to check if you haven't already.

In the Plex Web app, in the Dashboard, look at the "Now Playing" section. Make sure to expand the details by clicking on the "Show Details" icon on the right. When you are trying to play Live TV, it is showing that transcoding is being done by Plex? Just because your HDHR Extend is transcoding doesn't mean that Plex isn't also seeing a need to do transcoding. If Plex is transcoding, what is the CPU on your PMS server doing? Your CPU might not be able to keep up with the transcoding demand, and can cause Plex to stop trying to play Live TV. Ideally you should see Plex either doing "Direct Stream" or "Direct Play" - both of these require lower demand on your hardware.

If it is transcoding then go into the Plex app on your Roku, and go to settings. Then go to the "Video" section under settings. Check the following:
1. Local Quality (I assume your PMS and Roku are all on the same LAN): Try changing to a higher bandwidth setting. I use "Original (not recommended)". Yes, it says not recommended, but it works great for me. If you are gigabit it won't create so much traffic that it hurts your network. Background: The problem could be that your Roku Plex app is limiting the bandwidth to less than is needed to stream Live TV even with transcoding being done on your HDHR Extend, so your Plex server has to transcode again to something the client is allowing.
2. Allow Direct Stream - this should be checked.
3. Maximum H.264 Level - I have this at "4.1 (Recommended") and never have had to change this, but if you have it at lower then you may try changing this to higher.
4. Direct Play - should be set to "Auto". You can experiment changing this to "Forced", but there is currently a Plex bug where fast forward and rewind do not work under Direct Play. I'd love to get to Direct Play since it puts very little load on your PMS server CPU, but until this bug is fixed I'm good at Direct Stream.

You can also try checking "Allow MPEG2", but unless you turn off the transcoder on your HDHomeRun Extend you won't be getting MPEG2 from it so this won't make any difference. And yes, the MPEG2/TS directly is large for recordings.

Typically you should be able to get it so Plex isn't transcoding, but other items failing and depending on your CPU, you may benefit from turning on hardware accelerated transcoding in Plex (https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002 ... streaming/)

Newhdhrconninca

Post by Newhdhrconninca » Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Scooter Scott wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm
MyRoku 3 does not have an update available so I cannot test it on that.

I second what the above ask was Aman...Does this open your interest in the Roku platform to allow for direct stream like your AppleTV app without the DVR?
My Roku 3’s are at 9.0.0 but don’t seem to work with a brand new HDHR Connect & the Roku Media Player app. Plays fine on my iPhone 6, but no go on the Roku (no channels shown in the RMP folder). Not working with Plex either.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 am

Newhdhrconninca wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 pm
Scooter Scott wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm
MyRoku 3 does not have an update available so I cannot test it on that.

I second what the above ask was Aman...Does this open your interest in the Roku platform to allow for direct stream like your AppleTV app without the DVR?
My Roku 3’s are at 9.0.0 but don’t seem to work with a brand new HDHR Connect & the Roku Media Player app. Plays fine on my iPhone 6, but no go on the Roku (no channels shown in the RMP folder). Not working with Plex either.
Sounds like you've got something wrong with your Roku then. Plex, at least, will transcode everything to a working format. If it doesn't work with Plex, it's really screwy.