roku media player works - why no app?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: roku media player works - why no app?

Post by ACraigo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

Yep, I've got an Ultra I recently purchased because I needed another Roku/Plex Client able to use Plex's only decent App... at least until they ruin it with that new update that will effectively paint all their apps with a fresh coat of SUCK! (not looking forward to that)

Anyway, I like the Ultra (for now - hoping a FW 'Upgrade' doesn't brick it like 7.7 bricked my Roku 3 last year), but ALL Rokus have little irritants built right in. My Ultra will Direct Play everything fine, then for no apparent reason, with the same material, made the same way for a long, long time, Plex starts transcoding for some reason. Is it Plex? Is it Roku? Only The Shadow knows...

That's not the reason there's no SD app for Roku, but if there were an SD app for Roku, that's one of the reasons SD would engage in a never ending support nightmare when suddenly, out of the blue, SD on Roku stops working for no apparent reason. Ooooo.... bad juju.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 am

Also want a player for Roku. Just had to purchase one because my W8 WMC boxes no longer can play Hulu. They stopped supporting W8 and I think Netflix is right behind them as their app barely works on W8.

brooney

Post by brooney » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 pm

I setup a Roku Ultra (on latest firmware) and it does a great job displaying the live video coming from the my SD Extend (w/ latest firmware), but there is no sound. I'm a noob, so take this all with a grain of salt, ...the Extend transmits H264 and the Roku media player supports H264, so I'm not sure why the sounds is missing. I have a trouble ticker in with SD, maybe it's something simple.

Does anyone know which of these is the H264 format?

Advertise 30fps AVC (mobile devices)
Advertise 60fps AVC (heavy devices)
Advertise native format

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 pm

brooney wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 pm
I setup a Roku Ultra (on latest firmware) and it does a great job displaying the live video coming from the my SD Extend (w/ latest firmware), but there is no sound. I'm a noob, so take this all with a grain of salt, ...the Extend transmits H264 and the Roku media player supports H264, so I'm not sure why the sounds is missing. I have a trouble ticker in with SD, maybe it's something simple.

Does anyone know which of these is the H264 format?

Advertise native format
'Mobile' and 'Heavy' both appear to be 264 (AVC - Advanced Video Codec).

If the material you're trying to watch is from your OTA Stations it's likely AC3 Audio (it is over here). If your Roku's main audio settings aren't allowing DD/DD+ this will provide a very quiet environment... I have my Roku Ultra set to HDMI DD/DD+ Automatic and it seems to work with everything I throw at it.

You may have to fiddle around a bit, but the answer is probably going to be in the Roku's Audio Settings.

consorts
Device ID: 378163771 55318008

Post by consorts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 am

there's no app for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebOS either

even though it has no problem streaming native h.264 :?

brooney

Post by brooney » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 pm

An example channels from the DVR software shows the following:

GuideNumber "3.1"
GuideName "WCAX-HD"
VideoCodec "MPEG2"
AudioCodec "AC3"
HD 1
URL "http://x.x.x.x:5004/auto/v3.1"

So the audio is definitely AC3. Is mpeg2 the same as H.264? Shouldn't the video be H.264? Sounds like people have the Ultra working with an Extend, so not sure why only the sounds is not functioning in my case. I've tried various combinations of Roku settings for audio mode and HDMI settings.

SD Support simply stated that Roku does not support AC3 audio.

Can someone with a Ultra that is successfully playing the audio and video coming from an SD Extend paste in screen shots of their Roku Ultra audio settings and their Extend transcode settings?

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm

brooney wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 pm
An example channels from the DVR software shows the following:

GuideNumber "3.1"
GuideName "WCAX-HD"
VideoCodec "MPEG2"
AudioCodec "AC3"
HD 1
URL "http://x.x.x.x:5004/auto/v3.1"

So the audio is definitely AC3. Is mpeg2 the same as H.264? Shouldn't the video be H.264?
MPEG-2 is NOT 264.
MPEG-2 video streams are coming from the channels you get with the antenna. This is fairly normal.
If your Extend can transcode MPEG-2 to H264 - clearly that isn't happening and you'll need more advanced support (not at all like the 'support' you called already - read on).
Sounds like people have the Ultra working with an Extend, so not sure why only the sounds is not functioning in my case. I've tried various combinations of Roku settings for audio mode and HDMI settings.

SD Support simply stated that Roku does not support AC3 audio.
Hogwash
Can someone with a Ultra that is successfully playing the audio and video coming from an SD Extend paste in screen shots of their Roku Ultra audio settings and their Extend transcode settings?
I can pretty much tell ya a Roku Ultra will indeed play MPEG-2 video streams and AC3 Audio streams - PROVIDING - your set up and the settings on your Roku are set correctly. What are the correct settings? Don't know your set up. The possibilities are endless...

brooney

Post by brooney » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

I bought an Extend specifically because it is suppose to stream H.264 natively, I'm not seeing that happen or, more likely, I just don't know what I'm looking at.

I guess the best place to start is to define what is meant by audio settings (that matter).

Settings I'm aware of:

Roku Ultra (4660X, w/ latest firmware):

Settings/Audio/Audio Mode/Stereo
Settings/Audio/Audio Mode/Auto

Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto Detect
Settings/Audio/HDMI/PCM-Stereo
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D+
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D,DTS
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D+,DTS

Extend (HDTC-2US, w/ latest firmware):

DLNA Formats: ( All three are checked)
Advertise native format

Default Transode Profile = Heavy

The Roku is connecting to a display via an HDMI cable.

If there are other settings that impact audio I'm not aware of them.

iOS and MacOS devices work as excepted, just the Roku seems to need some hand holding.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Typically only dlna uses "advertised" and the client chooses (don't advertise native to force h.264)

Default of heavy will be h.264 but often much more than cheap devices handle (particularly when interlaced) unless app "requests" something else (most apps, including SD's dvr only use this default setting.

What was posted before was the channel information, which "all" US ota would be mpeg2 and is unrelated to what the tuner is delivering (unless one is not transcoding)

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:09 pm

brooney wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm
Roku Ultra (4660X, w/ latest firmware):

Settings/Audio/Audio Mode/Stereo
Settings/Audio/Audio Mode/Auto

Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto Detect
Settings/Audio/HDMI/PCM-Stereo
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D+
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D,DTS
Settings/Audio/HDMI/Dolby D+,DTS

The Roku is connecting to a display via an HDMI cable.

If there are other settings that impact audio I'm not aware of them.

iOS and MacOS devices work as excepted, just the Roku seems to need some hand holding.
My Ultra is connected to a TV via an HDMI cable.
Does your 'Display' have speakers?

My Roku Audio Settings:
Audio/Dolby D/Auto <--- my TV can't deal with EAC3/DTS so Plex will need to transcode those audio types or I'll need to convert them. Dolby D is AC3. Dolby D+ is EAC3. My TV will handle 5.1 AC3 Audio, so I don't want to limit it to Stereo.
HDMI/Auto Detect <--- the audio, like the video, is arriving at my TV through an HDMI connection - best turn that on, eh?

brooney

Post by brooney » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:51 am

I can feel my ignorance slowly melting...

I was assuming, ...a consequence of ignorance, that any fancy audio manipulations were taken care of before it hit the display. Maybe the audio is getting passed through to the display and the display doesn't know what to do with it. I'm using a overhead gaming projector, which has very little in the way of audio configuration. I use the 3.5 audio out jack to send the audio signal to a bluetooth transmiter. The projector does have small stereo speakers, but no sound comes out of them when the 3.5 audio plug is pulled out while testing the SD Extend's signal.

I have a smart TV that has it's own digital antenna. I unplugged the antenna and I used the smart TV's DNLA app to display the Extend's channels. It handles the video and audio signals coming from the Extend perfectly.

So I'm wondering if I can somehow save this mess as the projector was, ...ummmm, ...not cheap.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

brooney

Post by brooney » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:06 am

If the audio is simply getting passed through maybe all is not lost.
I took a look at the spec of my small bluetooth speaker. The codec's it supports are: SBC, AAC, LDAC.
So looks like I'll need to find a BT speaker that supports AC3. Hopefully that will not be to painful of a search.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Your projector will tell your Roku via HDMI EDID that it can't accept AC3 audio. Roku in turn has only two choices: decode the audio and send over LPCM or send no audio. I just tested my 2018 Roku Premier via network file share to playback a H.264 movie with AC3 audio. And it does not decode AC3 when I choose PCM 2-ch stereo for HDMI. When I select auto-detect, it will send AC3 to my TV and my TV decodes it and plays fine. Roku is a streaming device, so normally it will ask the streaming source (Netflix, Prime Video etc) to send over the supported format (2-ch stereo PCM, AC3 or DD+). So, I can understand that it does not need to natively decode AC3 in most cases. Well, in my case, since I have only Roku Premiere, not Ultra, it can't convert DD+ to DD either. So for Netflix and Prime Video, all I get will be 2-ch stereo PCM audio from this box because my TV does not support DD+, only DD/AC3 or DTS.

As far as I know, there is no AC3 support over Bluetooth. So, your best choice is to get a HDMI receiver or soundbar that supports AC3 and pass the Roku HDMI signal through that.

So, overall, I'm fairly disappointed at Roku as a viable stream box.

rreed2000

Post by rreed2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am

It is my understanding that all Roku devices with firmware v.9 or later support mp2 and will display the tuner's output via the Roku Media Player app. So an app could be developed for HDHomeRun but it wouldn't work on earlier firmware releases. Not sure if the channel store checks your firmware level when you download an app. So I am guessing Roku doesn't want the hassle of explaining to people with older firmware why the app isn't working.

ACraigo

Post by ACraigo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 am

rreed2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am
It is my understanding that all Roku devices with firmware v.9 or later support mp2 and will display the tuner's output via the Roku Media Player app. So an app could be developed for HDHomeRun but it wouldn't work on earlier firmware releases. Not sure if the channel store checks your firmware level when you download an app. So I am guessing Roku doesn't want the hassle of explaining to people with older firmware why the app isn't working.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=139050
Wanna watch interlaced content?
I don't.

Been waiting 4 months for SD to de-interlace their PTV content.
SD is counting on your device doing the de-interlacing.
Roku 3 and earlier don't de-interlace.
Period.