(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Locked
clarkss12
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by clarkss12 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am

Djp, one thing that causes me grief, is that every reboot of my device, your app seems to download ALL the guide data again. I don't have a lot of channels, but using a lot of days worth of data takes quite a long time to download. Is there as setting to keep the existing data and only download the data for the days that are missing??

thanks.

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am
Djp, one thing that causes me grief, is that every reboot of my device, your app seems to download ALL the guide data again. I don't have a lot of channels, but using a lot of days worth of data takes quite a long time to download. Is there as setting to keep the existing data and only download the data for the days that are missing??

thanks.
The guide download is driven by Kodi, the PVR only responds to the request. The terms for use of the guide data specifically prohibits me from caching it unnecessarily. That said, I do have to keep the quickie 4-hour data around for some database joins and stuff :) That data isn't exposed to Kodi directly.

However, Kodi should be keeping the data in it's database. Are you sure it's re-downloading everything and not just a delta? If you reboot and go into the EPG as quickly as possible, are your channels all blank? If so, we're looking more at a Kodi issue to solve as opposed to a PVR issue. If Kodi doesn't shut down cleanly I've seen this happen, but it should be periodically flushing the EPG data to it's database. A full reload every time you start up shouldn't be necessary.

Let me know about the blank EPG question, we can start looking into what would make Kodi forget the data if that's what is happening to you.

Ken.F
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC
Location: West Rockhill, PA

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by Ken.F » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:48 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am
Is there as setting to keep the existing data and only download the data for the days that are missing??
Go to Settings> PVR & Live TV> Guide and make sure "Don't cache in local database" is turned off. I have mine pulling in 18 days of data with the update interval set to the max 2880 minutes. It only fetches new guide data once every two days and I always have more than 2 weeks worth of data.

Image

clarkss12
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by clarkss12 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm

djp952 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm
clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 am
Djp, one thing that causes me grief, is that every reboot of my device, your app seems to download ALL the guide data again. I don't have a lot of channels, but using a lot of days worth of data takes quite a long time to download. Is there as setting to keep the existing data and only download the data for the days that are missing??

thanks.
The guide download is driven by Kodi, the PVR only responds to the request. The terms for use of the guide data specifically prohibits me from caching it unnecessarily. That said, I do have to keep the quickie 4-hour data around for some database joins and stuff :) That data isn't exposed to Kodi directly.

However, Kodi should be keeping the data in it's database. Are you sure it's re-downloading everything and not just a delta? If you reboot and go into the EPG as quickly as possible, are your channels all blank? If so, we're looking more at a Kodi issue to solve as opposed to a PVR issue. If Kodi doesn't shut down cleanly I've seen this happen, but it should be periodically flushing the EPG data to it's database. A full reload every time you start up shouldn't be necessary.

Let me know about the blank EPG question, we can start looking into what would make Kodi forget the data if that's what is happening to you.
I followed Ken's advise and disabled the NO caching option. I rebooted and the guide came up empty. It is slowly downloading the guide data again.

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:35 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm
I followed Ken's advise and disabled the NO caching option. I rebooted and the guide came up empty. It is slowly downloading the guide data again.
I think you have to actually wait a while for that to work, Kodi doesn't persist it's data immediately. Maybe let it run for a while, watch some TV, have a beer, something, then reboot and see if your situation is any better?

clarkss12
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by clarkss12 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 pm

djp952 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:35 pm
clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm
I followed Ken's advise and disabled the NO caching option. I rebooted and the guide came up empty. It is slowly downloading the guide data again.
I think you have to actually wait a while for that to work, Kodi doesn't persist it's data immediately. Maybe let it run for a while, watch some TV, have a beer, something, then reboot and see if your situation is any better?
Agreed, will be doing mor testing. Otherwise, awesome job you have done. Been using tvheadend DVR for years, now it has faded into the sunset. Your addon has replaced the need for it.

Ken.F
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC
Location: West Rockhill, PA

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by Ken.F » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 am

clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm
I followed Ken's advise and disabled the NO caching option. I rebooted and the guide came up empty. It is slowly downloading the guide data again.
It might need to re-download the guide data one time after you change the cache setting in order for it to actually cache the data. Be sure to adjust the update interval as well. After the cache is configured and working correctly the message in the upper right of the screen will tell you it's loading the guide from the database after a reboot. It should load much quicker than before.

clarkss12
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by clarkss12 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:12 am

Ken.F wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 am
clarkss12 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm
I followed Ken's advise and disabled the NO caching option. I rebooted and the guide came up empty. It is slowly downloading the guide data again.
It might need to re-download the guide data one time after you change the cache setting in order for it to actually cache the data. Be sure to adjust the update interval as well. After the cache is configured and working correctly the message in the upper right of the screen will tell you it's loading the guide from the database after a reboot. It should load much quicker than before.
I just checked and it still has to refresh the guide data, but did not take as long. I just made the settings go look like yours, so I will continue to test. I only had 8 days of guide selected, so I changed it to 16 days and the update interval to 2 days............ I cleared the cache, so it is downloading the new guide data now...............

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Happy Holidays gang!

Version 1.3.8 (2018.12.23)
  • Add "Disable discovery of HDHomeRun RECORD devices" advanced setting
  • Add "Use channel names from tuner device(s) in channel lineups" setting
  • (Leia)(Windows/UWP) Update Windows SDK and Platform Toolset versions
Downloads:
Kodi 16 "Jarvis" : https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... odi-Jarvis
Kodi 17 "Krypton" : https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... di-Krypton
Kodi 18 "Leia" : https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... -Kodi-Leia

There was a request posted at GitHub that turned out to be pretty simple to fulfill, so why not? Here's what's new:

There is a new option you can use to swap the channel names from using the EPG over to using the names provided by the tuners. Depending on your provider you may like these better. FiOS here on the US East Coast truncates everything to 15 characters so this feature never really occurred to me (My local ATSC broadcast providers are even worse at it). Thanks and a shout out to gibxxi for the idea and for testing it out!

The second new option is really for me to help with troubleshooting and to let me finally remove the claim that you "need" to have the DVR subscription (spoiler - you don't). In the Advanced page you can toggle access to the RECORD engine completely off, simulating what would happen if you didn't have one. There should be little to no reason to ever do this outside of playing around or testing.

The final item applies to Leia only. The latest couple nightlies from Team Kodi finally ship with the 'right' Visual C++ runtime packages (2017 [v141] vs 2015 [v140]) so I was able to bump the versions I use up to the revisions they should be. For the fellow developer types that like to compile, this means no more prompt from VS 2017 to upgrade when you open the Leia solution :)

One other note/question before we all turn on some 24/7 marathon, be it "A Christmas Story" or the Hallmark Channel's cat and dog in front of the fireplace (lol) .. I went looking for LibreELEC's "PVR API 5.10.4" and came up empty. I may be blind, but I still have zero idea what this is about. I hope you can understand my conundrum with just bumping the addon version to match that since there is no such version in the Kodi source. Any links you can provide to get me more information about that would be appreciated. v1.3.8 is still listed as PVR API "5.10.3".

MadBit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:20 am

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by MadBit » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:25 am

Are there any guides to install this on an Xbox one?

I saw a post about assuming those would know what to do with the appx and cer files but unfortunately I do not.

Thanks for any assistance.

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:52 am

MadBit wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:25 am
Are there any guides to install this on an Xbox one?

I saw a post about assuming those would know what to do with the appx and cer files but unfortunately I do not.

Thanks for any assistance.
I don't have an XBox but the process should be fairly similar to Windows 10. You need to add the .cer as a "Trusted Root Certificate" (if you trust me of course), then install the .appx. On windows 10 you have to enable side-loading apps as well, there should be a similar need on XBox

Kodi doesn't seem to fully support UWP yet from a release perspective, so also keep in mind that these UWP packages may be iffy. The x64 one does very well on Windows 10.

A Google search of "Kodi XBox One" should reveal a number of videos and steps to follow. Just replace the Kodi files with the repackaged ones and it should be the same

Good luck!! Let us know how you make out!

clarkss12
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by clarkss12 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:30 am

Your latest Christmas version will not install, wrong PVR something, again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the modded app that timecutter gave me........ But it is still working on you previous version.........

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:34 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:30 am
Your latest Christmas version will not install, wrong PVR something, again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the modded app that timecutter gave me........ But it is still working on you previous version.........
Nothing new functionality-wise you should be good on previous :)

edit: I see the 5.10.4 thing in CoreELEC. Not sure why I didn't remember that from like 2 pages ago, I was scouring LibreELEC and OpenELEC - lol. I'll reach out to those guys about their intentions here, if Kodi doesn't adopt the same modifications for their 5.10.4 API (if there will be one), this will continue to be a problem.

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:47 pm

CoreELEC update: I did get the information I was looking for from the CoreELEC gang and found the discussion points and pull request(s) for Kodi. That alleviates most of my concerns versioning-wise.

I'm not sure how to best deliver something to you guys, though. Probably a manual one-off build that gets tacked onto the GitHub release after the fact, or .zip file(s) hosted elsewhere maybe right in the wiki repo. Let me think about this a bit and I'll get back to you on it.

djp952
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0
Location: Elkridge, MD

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by djp952 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:10 pm

I was reviewing the patches from CoreELEC to see how to best implement this API change they made, and while I know some of you will be disappointed, I've changed my mind and decided I will not be supporting this natively with my distributions. Anyone is of course free to build your own against their API change.

What I see is a situation that could have been pretty easily avoided. I might be wrong, but all they did API-wise was add a field to the channel structure. Ordinarily this isn't a big deal, but they way Kodi is set up here they are right -- a change to that structure is indeed a breaking API change.

In my opinion they could have gone a slightly different way with this and gotten what they needed without breaking the API. I'll come up with a nice way to suggest it over there, but I think they should have added a new method to the PVR API to get this flag instead of changing this structure. If the addon doesn't export the method, assume the new flag is false and move on. They could even look for an API version higher than the formal one before they bother to try and find the method, but the presence or lack of it should be enough.

I apologize for misleading you in my previous post. I will provide my feedback to CoreELEC and hope that they have a more reasonable solution they can implement to maintain compatibility with Kodi.

Locked