When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

Postby nateb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:18 pm

HDHR DVR does not provide a guide.
For those reading along and not familiar with the software, this is an incorrect statement. The HDHomeRun app very much does provide a guide, it just comes in a format called Slice, rather than the traditional guide format you prefer. I assume that's what you meant, but I wanted to clarify for people unfamiliar.

daChurchPcGuy

Postby daChurchPcGuy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:48 pm

HDHR DVR does not provide a guide.
For those reading along and not familiar with the software, this is an incorrect statement. The HDHomeRun app very much does provide a guide, it just comes in a format called Slice, rather than the traditional guide format you prefer. I assume that's what you meant, but I wanted to clarify for people unfamiliar.
Sorry, I discussed this earlier in this thread a couple times. I guess I should have made that more clear as well. I edited the post.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 pm

[posts from this account are not displayed]

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 am

We got the 'announcement' about The New SD UI - Rolling Out... but wait... Not Rolling Out.
I'm not instilled with confidence about SD - generally speaking. The Tuner Equipment (Connect) seems to be working fine. Everything else - not so much.

Cancelled HDHR DVR - installed Channels DVR.
Instant gratification.

I guess I'm just not ready for 'The Future'. SD's UI is obviously way more advanced than I am.

rjnorris

Postby rjnorris » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Really - I have been asking for a clock for years now and i also know of many others that have made the request to add a pop up Clock on the menu screen.........

Here's the list of already dones:
  • New means of browsing discover more efficiently
  • redone padding
  • a settings page that's easily accessible
  • easier access to search on slice
  • we added a clock (no one was asking for this, but we had some extra space and it took like 3 seconds)
These are all done. They were picked first primarily because they were either low hanging fruit or (in the case of Discover) the old way was just that bad. Most of them were done or partially done before I even started.

Right now we have a list of user-requested features for the future, but at present we aren't spending a lot of time focusing on them, because everyone involved is handling bug fixes. But what I have done is created a private github repo and pulled everything from that thread you made, neil, and created individual tickets for every feature. I then went to several related threads and pulled tickets there too. I think total, after adjusting and combining some features and requests where it made sense to, we've got 33 open tickets. A few of those are bugs or regressions, but most are user requests and features.

Once we've gotten to the point where all platforms work equally well on the current feature set, we'll begin ranking requests. For example, the thing you ranked first on your list is first on mine as well, but could take more time to develop and code. I've already begin wire-framing and visualizing that particular request though, because I think it's that important. If there is any more low hanging and important fruit, we may attack that first or at the same time, but if all of this development is really focused around giving more control to the user, your first item is the obvious no-brainer to really start focusing on asap.

I'd love to give you more info, but frankly there's not much more to give. At the moment, it's all hands on deck for bug fixing.

edit: And I should probably say we've not thrown any ideas out. When we can, we'll re-examine a guide. We've already spent some time talking about it and how it could theoretically work into the flow of the app. This is absolutely not a promise that it'll happen, but we're at least talking about it.
Nate,

Excellent, I think these are excellent things to get out of the way first. Would they be my choices? Probably not, but they are worthy choices made logically.

The fact that you are talking about guide options internally and not just trying to convince users that they are ignorant (my feelings based on the existing posts, not yours) for wanting a guide is also very important.

Hopefully, we can get SD to consider handling more than one workflow or use case.

For example, we never watch live TV and don't ever intend to using SD products. We are OTA only, no cable. All of our TVs have antennas, so why watch live through the SD hardware. We would disable the Live tab if possible.

As for Guide flow, just make a new tab called Guide. Again if possible we would completely disable the Discover view and use the Guide view.

Thank you for communicating these facts.

Hopefully, you will find more facts to communicate in the future.

Neil

HenryGab

Postby HenryGab » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:54 am

Oh, I forgot, we also made it possible to auto-start in the Recorded tab. Your post reminded me.
Nate,

Thank you!

I cannot tell you how important this small change will be to our household. We only watch recorded TV, we even start (American) football at least 90 minute late because we catch up to real-time before its over. Avoiding the random live TV will be great, especially as our children sometimes end up seeing disturbing (CSI, horror, day-time talk / soaps, judge judy) images.

Thank you!

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 am

Now that we have a clear update on the Prime 6, is there anything to be said about the forthcoming UI? Are we still only to expect underlying changes? There has been more than one "coming soon" on the subject and since nobody has asked lately, I thought I would ask.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes, I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but a pretty serious issue on the live tv side required some pretty extensive rewriting of the Live TV UI. We thought we'd be ready back in December, but that cropped up and required a push back. So now work is being done to optimize that new code so that when you pull out a slice it doesn't do weird things like jerk back and forth. Also fixing up regressions from the rewrite.

The rest of the UI is pretty well done and has been for a while. I think we still need to re-implement sports team subscriptions, but that's a little thing and might not even prevent a beta release.

As I come from XBMC development, I don't really believe in giving release dates for software. December just reinforced that stance for me. So no time estimate on when these things will be done, but I'm happy to give a little rundown every once in a while on what's being worked on.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Thank you, sir! I'm hoping to see some improvements on how slice operates. Right now it's a little unreliable if you seek past "now". It doesn't refresh the way it should, to put it into some sort of words.

cncb

Postby cncb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Oh, I forgot, we also made it possible to auto-start in the Recorded tab. Your post reminded me.
How do we access this option or is this still not available?

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:14 pm

How do we access this option or is this still not available?
Unfortunately, still not at the moment.

dmbmke
Device ID: 10421A53, 1071527A

Postby dmbmke » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 am

This really is a stunning failure to produce results, Nate.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Like I said, I'm unwilling to give a time estimate of when the software will be ready, and I stand by that. If you'd like an update on what we've been doing, I'm happy to give one of those.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Like I said, I'm unwilling to give a time estimate of when the software will be ready, and I stand by that. If you'd like an update on what we've been doing, I'm happy to give one of those.
I would love to hear about what you guys have been working on.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:16 pm

I would love to hear about what you guys have been working on.
Sure thing. As mentioned before, a pretty big effort has been going into getting Slice up to snuff. It's still not really there, but at this point I could see us going into beta even without it being perfect, just because there's a lot we'd like to get tested elsewhere.

Since we were working on that, we decided also to get team recordings implemented in the new interface, and we've kind of gone a different way with it this time. Now you can select from a list all the teams in a sport you'd like to record, as they show up at least once in the upcoming few weeks. That means if you want to record the Kansas Jayhawks or the Duke Blue Devils, you don't need to navigate to a game to find them, you just select college basketball, and tick of the boxes for those teams.

That's kind of it for interesting features. Otherwise, we're just hammering away a bugs. For example, a big one was for a day was that it wasn't possible to switch from the beta UI to production UI. That's definitely not a good bug to have out in the world! Unfortunately, bugs are boring to talk about, but they're also where the majority of coding exists. I think there's some stat out there that only 25% of software development is production, while 75% is bug fixing.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”