(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

usafle

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by usafle » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks.... reading through that thread it appears its VERY Beta status. The "WAF" won't like that... I guess I'll just sit it out until it's "officially" released.
Ken.F wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:12 am
Is this it? https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12330 ... for-s9xxx/

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:47 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am
djp952 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 pm
Version 1.3.5b (2018.10.24) LEIA PRE-RELEASE ONLY
  • Temporary workaround for repeated polling of the last played position for Recorded TV files
What does "LEIA PRE-RELEASE ONLY" mean? Does that mean it isn't supposed to work on the Leia RC releases? I tried it anyway and it works fine on Leia RC1 64 bit on Win7.
It's just what we've been calling it since I'm too lazy to actually link up Leia on the GitHub wiki :) That and Leia builds can come out that break the PVR still. we're probably way past that now that it's RC1 status, but you never know! I suppose I'm just hedging my bets.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Chronoptic wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:19 am
That did the trick, thank you!!
Great (woot-woot)! I wasn't able to track down the true root cause but I wrote up a bug post on Kodi.tv so hopefully ksooo or somebody over there that knows the ins and outs of the GUI code can fix it. It's constantly and endlessly refreshing the list items which is causing it to ask for the last play position over and over. (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)

Kodi definitely needs to be fixed for that, but for the PVR I'm thinking about the permanent fix. We can either just use the existing cached recording information at all times, or more likely in my mind right now force a recording refresh if this information is asked for by Kodi and then have some reasonable delay that it far less than the standard interval but not so much that it gets 'noisy'. I am thinking like 1-2 minutes; so if you are browsing recorded TV and the cache is more than say 60-120 seconds old, it would refresh again. If you are not actively browsing recorded TV the normal refresh interval would apply (10 minutes default, I think).

I'll leave the hack in place until we can confirm the bug is fixed in Leia, though. It doesn't really hurt anything, it just keeps track of the last thing Kodi asked for and if it asks for the exact same thing again uses the previous result. The CPU cycles are still getting wasted but there isn't much I can do about that part - tried and failed to find it!

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:47 pm
It's just what we've been calling it since I'm too lazy to actually link up Leia on the GitHub wiki :)
OK.

Kodi Krypton on Android has been working fine for me up until tonight. For some reason Kodi is crashing upon launch on my Mi Box and Shield. I'm using the ARM 1.3.5.6860 apk build on those. I had to clear data to get it to launch but doing that cleared all of my settings and disabled the PVR. I had to set up all of my DVR options again.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm
djp952 wrote:
It's just what we've been calling it since I'm too lazy to actually link up Leia on the GitHub wiki :)
OK.

Kodi Krypton on Android has been working fine for me up until tonight. For some reason Kodi is crashing upon launch on my Mi Box and Shield. I'm using the ARM 1.3.5.6860 apk build on those. I had to clear data to get it to launch but doing that cleared all of my settings and disabled the PVR. I had to set up all of my DVR options again.
I do not remember ever using the arm on the Shields.... I used aarch64.
kodi-17.6-zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-aarch64-1.3.5.6860

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:52 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm
djp952 wrote:
OK.

Hmmm... no changes to Krypton since 6860, and NY Player is right, the Shield should use the AARCH64 (ARM64) APK. Not sure about the Mi Box.

Do you have any logs available to look at? This feels like a problem/difference with the backend data or the RECORD engine data that could be triggering a bug in the PVR. Like an unexpected error or result that the PVR code can't handle properly. We should see that in the Kodi log, at a minimum a message from the PVR with "unhandled exception" but hopefully something more specific.

The PVR auto-starts so if it is crashing out it could definitely cause the symptoms you are describing. If you can confirm after clearing data Kodi starts fine until you enable the PVR then it starts vomiting all over itself, it's 99.9% likely a bug on my part that hasn't been caught yet.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:41 am

NYPlayer wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:30 pm
I do not remember ever using the arm on the Shields.... I used aarch64.
kodi-17.6-zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-aarch64-1.3.5.6860
djp952 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:52 pm
Hmmm... no changes to Krypton since 6860, and NY Player is right, the Shield should use the AARCH64 (ARM64) APK. Not sure about the Mi Box.
The arm version has been working fine (until yesterday) but I went ahead and put aarch64 on the Shield this morning. The Mi Box has a Cortex-A53 so I guess it could run aarch64 as well but I'm running arm on that one too. Maybe I'll try aarch64 and see what happens. My Nexus Player is x86 but I haven't seen a x86 apk since Jarvis so I have to run arm on that one.
djp952 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:52 pm
The PVR auto-starts so if it is crashing out it could definitely cause the symptoms you are describing. If you can confirm after clearing data Kodi starts fine until you enable the PVR then it starts vomiting all over itself, it's 99.9% likely a bug on my part that hasn't been caught yet.
Kodi had been working just fine and all of a sudden it started crashing on launch on two different Android devices. After I cleared data on them they stopped crashing on launch. After enabling the PVR again they did not crash. It's weird that it happened to both the Mi Box and Shield on the same day. I haven't checked my Nexus Player yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that one crashes on launch too.

Update: The Mi Box wouldn't take the aarch64 apk so I installed the arm version again.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 pm

djp952 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:57 pm
Chronoptic wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:19 am
That did the trick, thank you!!
Great (woot-woot)! I wasn't able to track down the true root cause but I wrote up a bug post on Kodi.tv so hopefully ksooo or somebody over there that knows the ins and outs of the GUI code can fix it. It's constantly and endlessly refreshing the list items which is causing it to ask for the last play position over and over. (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
OK gang - my bad - this change in behavior for the recordings UI was by design for Kodi Leia. The intention was to provide a more or less realtime indicator in the UI if the state of the recording has changed. Unfortunately for this PVR that's a really expensive operation, sifting through all the recordings over and over.

So I'm going to keep the temporary block I put in place permanently, probably just on Leia since it doesn't affect the other platforms. I'm also investigating what the 'best' way to get this resume position moving forward should be. It either needs to just come from the PVR database, which means it can go stale on you (bummer), or I can tie the recording back to it's series and just ask for that single series' worth of data from the RECORD engine, which will be significantly less data to pore over.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:41 am

Kodi had been working just fine and all of a sudden it started crashing on launch on two different Android devices. After I cleared data on them they stopped crashing on launch. After enabling the PVR again they did not crash. It's weird that it happened to both the Mi Box and Shield on the same day. I haven't checked my Nexus Player yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that one crashes on launch too.
Hey … if you do get the Nexus player to crash and you have the time to try and grab the Kodi log (if there is one) or even a logcat from Android that might be really useful. Even if it was a one-time event if the root cause is in the PVR I'd love to fix it. The logcat may contain additional crash information that Kodi wasn't able to spit out before it dies -- typically we should at least see the module name that caused the fault.

No worries if it doesn't crash or no logs, please don't kill yourself trying to get that information. It doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else (sorry!) that I am aware of, so whatever happened is probably a rare circumstance. It sucks to have to redo all your settings on all those systems, though :(

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:59 am

djp952 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 pm
Hey … if you do get the Nexus player to crash and you have the time to try and grab the Kodi log (if there is one) or even a logcat from Android that might be really useful. Even if it was a one-time event if the root cause is in the PVR I'd love to fix it. The logcat may contain additional crash information that Kodi wasn't able to spit out before it dies -- typically we should at least see the module name that caused the fault.

No worries if it doesn't crash or no logs, please don't kill yourself trying to get that information. It doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else (sorry!) that I am aware of, so whatever happened is probably a rare circumstance. It sucks to have to redo all your settings on all those systems, though :(
I should have time to mess with it today unless something comes up. I'm not sure I can get a logcat. I messed around a little with adb and Android Studio a couple of years ago when I was playing around with Android running on my Tinker Board. I was lost most of the time.

I've been getting a lot of practice so it only takes a few minutes to set Kodi up to my liking now. The only add-ons I really need in Kodi on Android devices is the PVR and weather so there isn't too much that needs to be configured. The Weather Underground API key is a bit of a pain to type in but their free access is going away soon anyway. I've just been putting Yahoo Weather on new installs lately.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 am

Checked the Nexus Player today. Kodi launches fine on that one.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 am
Checked the Nexus Player today. Kodi launches fine on that one.
Glad to hear it! I wish I had a better answer for you, sir. This is unfortunately now officially a "wait and see if it happens again" kind of problem. I'm pretty certain it was a transient condition, now moreso, but I would love to know exactly what it was.

jhford

My system is fried

Post by jhford » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:58 am

My single drive WD MyCloud NAS self-updated over a month ago and the PVR stopped saving recordings to the NAS. I have tried a couple of things suggested here.

1. I ran the following SSH commands listed on "DVR Install - WD My Cloud Single-Disk Manual Install" with the following results:

wget -O /tmp/hdhomerun_dvr.apkg http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomer ... Cloud.apkg: SUCCESS

upload_apkg -d -s 1 -p ../../../../../tmp/hdhomerun_dvr.apkg: SUCCESS

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/hdhomerun_dvr/start.sh: FAILURE

Here is the command and output:
root@WDMyCloud root # /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/hdhomerun_dvr/start.sh
/usr/bin/hdhomerun_dvr: line 10: /tmp/hdhomerun_record_arm: Permission denied

2. I downloaded the HDHR Windows installation software and re-ran it, including the NAS update button, if I got the name right, on the DVR tab.

I then reloaded Kodi and watched the progress and #2 seemed to be working. But I was wrong. Now nothing works including live TV, which was working before I did #2, even though the recordings we not being saved to the NAS.

I love this PVR client and want to use it again and into the future.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

gamaru

Post by gamaru » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 am

Hi all,

I've been using this PVR Client on Krypton 17.6 with my HDHomerunPrime for quite a while and everything was perfect. I also run Ubuntu 18.04 LTS by the way.

I installed Leia RC1 over my Krypton 17.6 installation last night. I didn't like that some of my plugins and skin didn't work properly so I went back to Krypton and I reinstalled 1.3.5 of the PVR Client. That's where my troubles began.

All of my channels are showing up perfectly fine and I can watch them perfectly but it seems to be unable to retrieve the guide. It seems to be stuck at trying to retrieve the first channel and then just gives up.

I've checked the HDHomeRun video add-on and that works fine but I'd much rather not use that. I've cleared the EPG data and still no dice.

I'm at work and not able to check my logs but I'm curious if anybody has encountered this before and how I can resolve it. Thanks!

mxlance

Post by mxlance » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Sorry to report an issue with the unofficial pvr addon. OTA channels play but not Premium TV channels.
They do play in the Official SD Addon.

This is happening in both kodi 17 and 18

thank you