Echo Show skill?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
tspin

Echo Show skill?

Postby tspin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi,

Is there a skill that allows me to watch my HDHR on this device?

Thanks

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Echo Show skill?

Postby Mediaman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:10 pm

your going to have to look in the amazon store for HDHomerun app and load it. Not sure if it is available for that unit yet? Would think yes. If not post so SD knows.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 pm

From what I remember in looking at it when the Echo Show came out, it doesn't have a proper app system the way Fire devices do. All you can do is add some bits that tell its internal components how to connect to a particular service to play content, which requires that the content already be in a format it understands how to play. Broadcast TV isn't a format it knows how to play, so that's basically the end of it.

p4yens

Postby p4yens » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Still, it would be very interesting to see SD develop a rather simple Skill for this, given that we can access the channel lineup by visiting http://localhost(HDHR)/lineup.hml from the echo show browsers, and that page contains all the tv streams in the form of links, it shouldn't be too hard to pipe that to whatever video playing app the echo shows use. I considered starting to work on it but I am swamped with work for the moment and having trouble with my AWS developer account so hoping some of you will take it on.

PghCordCutter

Postby PghCordCutter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 pm

The Nvidia Shield will use Alexa to play/pause within the HD app. That's about it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Still, it would be very interesting to see SD develop a rather simple Skill for this, given that we can access the channel lineup by visiting http://localhost(HDHR)/lineup.hml from the echo show browsers, and that page contains all the tv streams in the form of links, it shouldn't be too hard to pipe that to whatever video playing app the echo shows use. I considered starting to work on it but I am swamped with work for the moment and having trouble with my AWS developer account so hoping some of you will take it on.
According to the Amazon docs the video player only supports H.264 video, a max of 720p resolution, and when using a TS container it only supports AAC audio. Most countries are using at least one of MPEG2, 1080i, and DD audio, so that would make it useless for broadcast TV. It also requires HTTPS for some reason, which isn't available on the HDHomeRun.

farmboyJ

Postby farmboyJ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 am

Channels DVR works....I just use the silk/firefox browser to log in...then save it as my home page. "Alexa, open silk" gets me my live tv now. I do have to use the touch screen to select the channel. I guess I could make a "routine" so I could use a different voice command....

Return to “Third Party Software”