Channels Apps Are Now Free for DVR Subscribers

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
maddox

Channels Apps Are Now Free for DVR Subscribers

Postby maddox » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:58 pm

The Channels apps are now free for all Chanels DVR subscribers. One of the biggest barriers to trying Channels DVR is now gone. Huzzah!

When we launched Channels DVR last fall, we made sure that the first 30 days were free so you had plenty of time to see if our software was a good fit for you and your family. Now, it's even easier!

Channels DVR: The App

The Channels DVR app is a new, separate, and free app on the App Store, Play Store, and Amazon Appstore, and it's available right now. It's the same Channels you know and love but only works while subscribed to Channels DVR.

The original Channels app is still available for purchase if you're looking for a solution for watching live TV without the need for DVR. If you already have Channels and you're a DVR subscriber, there's no need to download the Channels DVR app. Both apps are the same, and you can expect it to stay that way.

All of the platforms, all of the apps

Channels started its life on the Apple TV. Since that time, it's become available for both iOS, Android TV and Fire TV.

As a subscriber of Channels DVR, now you can easily run it on any of the devices you own. Are you trying to decide on which streaming platform to standardize across your home? This should make that a lot easier.

Try before you buy

One cool by-product to Channels being free for DVR subscribers (and the free 30 day trial), is that this creates a nice little way to try Channels before you buy it.

Maybe you're not interested in having a DVR, but you've wanted to try Channels for a while. By setting up Channels DVR and using its 30 day trial, you can download the Channels DVR app and try it out for 30 days.

If you like it, just cancel your subscription and purchase the Channels app for the best live TV experience available on your streaming devices.

Don't sweat it

We really hope this makes it a little easier for you to give Channels DVR a try and find out why our community loves it so much.

We think Channels and Channels DVR are the most important tools you and your family can have when cutting the cord.

Learn more about it and try it out for 30 days completely risk free. We think you'll love it.

https://getchannels.com/dvr

bdbauer

Re: Channels Apps Are Now Free for DVR Subscribers

Postby bdbauer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:30 am

This is a great feature - I made some mistakes when trying the Channels app and ended up paying $25 for it even though I don't use it. It doesn't really bother me that much; I'm supporting a great developer and maybe that's putting pressure on SD to build a better UI.

Llzel

Postby Llzel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:53 pm

I have HDHomerun Quattro and use channels DVR on a Apple TV. I pay $8 month for channels DVR app. Can I stop paying the $8 month to channels and pay the $30 year to HDHomerun DVR and still use channels DVR?

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:59 pm

The Channels app only works with Channels DVR.

bdbauer

Postby bdbauer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Can I stop paying the $8 month to channels and pay the $30 year to HDHomerun DVR and still use channels DVR?
No, but Channels has an annual rate so you can save a little money with an $80/year rate.

Llzel

Postby Llzel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 am

Thx, last question, is HDhomerun premium TV available using apple tv and Channels App?

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:01 am

Thx, last question, is HDhomerun premium TV available using apple tv and Channels App?
It seems likely it eventually will be possible, if the Channels people want it to happen, but the Channels people will almost first need to get guilde information for those channels from their guide provider, and (last I knew), SD had not yet gotten that guide information upstream (elsewhere they indicated they were working to do so). So, consider it a work in progress with some possible future.

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:01 am

Yes HDHR Premium TV works with Channels app. We are working on adding support to Channels DVR.

bhasse

Postby bhasse » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:44 pm

I was able to get the HD Homerun Premium TV channels to show up on the Channels DVR guide with no problem. It does not appear that we can record the Premium TV channels. Did I read correctly that this will be available eventually?

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am

Premium TV recording is fully supported in Channels DVR, as of a week after the launch of the premium channels.

For Android users, we are beta testing an app optimized for phones/tablets: https://community.getchannels.com/t/bet ... blets/9319

tdi-me

Postby tdi-me » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:43 am

Interesting, but more expensive than emby and I dont see any mention of it being able to serve up my existing movie collection.

scubajwd

Postby scubajwd » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 am

Having Channels on Android & Fire TV sold me..I'm keeping Emby for a few more weeks
but I think I'm going to retire my old Apple TV and go to Fire TV and Roku for my
go to streamers & TV watching..don't get me wrong Emby has come along way
and it has been rock solid for me in and out of home..I just hope Amazon can
update the new 4K Fire TV stick as its portability, video & audio are superb..

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:30 am

Having Channels on Android & Fire TV sold me..I'm keeping Emby for a few more weeks
but I think I'm going to retire my old Apple TV and go to Fire TV and Roku for my
go to streamers & TV watching..don't get me wrong Emby has come along way
and it has been rock solid for me in and out of home..I just hope Amazon can
update the new 4K Fire TV stick as its portability, video & audio are superb..
Yeah might have sold me too .. Just so easy to use and fast love the GUI... Watching away from home is reliable and easy.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 am

Interesting, but more expensive than emby and I dont see any mention of it being able to serve up my existing movie collection.
It cannot (currently?) do that.
Yeah might have sold me too .. Just so easy to use and fast love the GUI... Watching away from home is reliable and easy.
We've been using it for... four months? Something like that. We love it.

I actually didn't think we'd much use the remote access feature, but, whenever I have to go somewhere and wait, I just pull out my phone, or take along my tablet and a pair of BT earbuds, and watch something :)

It hasn't been a 100% perfect, glitch-free experience, but, overall we're quite pleased with it.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:18 am

It cannot (currently?) do that.
We've been using it for... four months? Something like that. We love it.

I actually didn't think we'd much use the remote access feature, but, whenever I have to go somewhere and wait, I just pull out my phone, or take along my tablet and a pair of BT earbuds, and watch something :)

It hasn't been a 100% perfect, glitch-free experience, but, overall we're quite pleased with it.
Yeah I had a problem remotely connecting using the APP on my Android Note 9 Phone but was able to get to it using google Browser.

Return to “Third Party Software”