Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
fletchb1

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by fletchb1 »

Synology says you can use windows to change permissions so I tried that.
It did not recognize the owner (root) but it did let me revoke ownership and give it to administrators (group) but that is all it would let me do. I don't understand why synology doesn't respect sudo..never seen this before...

Tomorrow I am going to try a few more things..if not just create a new dir and then move the files over

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

Idiot confession time:

I overlooked something very basic/stupid: Record path was wrong the whole time!
The default dir does not exist (HDhomerunDVR). Once I changed it, everything started working..old shows are there and it records new shows just fine. I have shutdown the other record engine, but I guess I need to remove it before the next restart of the old nas.

For my own knowledge I still want to figure out why sudo can't change ownership (and windows sort could). I want to fix that but glad it's working regardless. That strange recording that showed up tonight before things were working is still there and still in some unknown location.

Now it's time for sleep. working too much on this made me make simple mistakes, but when UPS delivers your new toy right before you get home on a Friday night, it's just hard to resist!

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

Jwestover wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 pm I’m trying to find how to relocate my HD Homerun folder from Volume 1 to my shared folders so I can more easily manage my recordings. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
take a look at my thread above and see if that helps (not the one from last night, but about 2 weeks ago.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

fletchb1 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:37 pm For my own knowledge I still want to figure out why sudo can't change ownership (and windows sort could). I want to fix that but glad it's working regardless. That strange recording that showed up tonight before things were working is still there and still in some unknown location.
Sorry, was unable to check in over the weekend.
AM I right in assuming by sudo you mean sudo chown or sudo chmod
If that's the case then it's not surprising it didn't work since what's managing the permissions on a share is on the ACLs..
so you need to modify there through synoactctl and not using chown/chmod

Glad you got it up and running

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Jwestover wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 pm I’m trying to find how to relocate my HD Homerun folder from Volume 1 to my shared folders so I can more easily manage my recordings. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Here's something I have put together, but waiting for someone to verify before I add to the workarounds

On Synology they lock down a lot. so we have to add the right permissions to get things started.
So first things first.. disable the DVR (via UI or app center) and ssh to the NAS and login as your admin user.
I'm going to assume that everything on your NAS is located on /volume1/ - adjust to volume[1-9] as needed.

Now we need to add the admin access control list (ACL) with

Code: Select all

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd—
This will now allow us to actually add it as a share
So back to the DSM web interface, log in, and
- open Control Panel
- open Shared Folder
- select 'Create'
- enter the name of the folder, e.g. HDHomeRunDVR
- uncheck 'Restrict Access to administrators only'
- uncheck 'Enable Recycle Bin'
- click 'Next', then click 'Apply'

Now you should have the share in filestation and be able to access it from other PCs in your network.

The final thing we need to do, is just quickly ensure that the http user still has access for the engine.
So back to ssh and enter

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR group:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--
All should be ok at this point - time to restart the DVR engine..

let me know if this works for you

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

demonrik wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:44 pm
fletchb1 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:37 pm For my own knowledge I still want to figure out why sudo can't change ownership (and windows sort could). I want to fix that but glad it's working regardless. That strange recording that showed up tonight before things were working is still there and still in some unknown location.
Sorry, was unable to check in over the weekend.
Thanks so much for your software! And besides part of the reason I am doing this is for the learning experience, so It was good I got it working myself.
AM I right in assuming by sudo you mean sudo chown or sudo chmod
If that's the case then it's not surprising it didn't work since what's managing the permissions on a share is on the ACLs..
so you need to modify there through synoactctl and not using chown/chmod
No I used to know a fair amount about chown and chmod. It was the ACL on linux part that is new to me. It was your command below that was giving me fits:

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRun user:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--

When I would run this command it would keep the owner as root and not change it to http

With a windows machine, I was able to change it to the admin group. Not sure when it started working because i screwed up and had the wrong record path- it could have been working the whole time...but..

still wondering why I could not change the ACL owner to http like when you helped me the first time.

Glad you got it up and running
Thanks and thanks again for all the help..

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

fletchb1 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:42 pm sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRun user:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--

When I would run this command it would keep the owner as root and not change it to http
Still a little new to it myself.
you need to use a different option to synoacltool to set the owner

synoacltool -set-owner PATH [user|group] NAME
By default I suspect it inherits the file permissions first time you add ACL controls.

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

demonrik wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 pm
fletchb1 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:42 pm sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRun user:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--

Still a little new to it myself.
you need to use a different option to synoacltool to set the owner

synoacltool -set-owner PATH [user|group] NAME
By default I suspect it inherits the file permissions first time you add ACL controls.
Thanks. I am going to play around with this, but on the 718 (and on a test volume) so I don't screw up my tv since it's working great on the 918!
I am trying to relearn linux now and this will help!

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

Works great on my test share..

when it comes to man pages that say something this: synoacltool -set-owner PATH [user|group] NAME

I have never understood this syntax "[user|group]"

So I asked for help and found out it's not literally like that but rather

synoacltool -set-owner /volume1/HDHomeRun user http

synoacltool -set-owner /volume1/HDHomeRun group http

Both worked on my test share..yea the new nas has been working great for over a week but I still wanted to make sure I understood this for my own sake.

My 718 is now my backup server and Hdhome run has been cleaned off of it...so if you ever need to do a test install for synlology, be glad to help on the 718.

pabickwermert

Post by pabickwermert »

Hi. I just had to re-setup my synology DS211j NAS drive and when I did, it installed DSM version 6.2.1-23824 Update 1. Well, long story short, I downloaded the hdhomerun spk file referenced in the google drive, then I went to manual install in the dsm (which has some new UI layouts) and it says invalid file format and will not install. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and God bless. Paul

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

pabickwermert wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm Hi. I just had to re-setup my synology DS211j NAS drive and when I did, it installed DSM version 6.2.1-23824 Update 1. Well, long story short, I downloaded the hdhomerun spk file referenced in the google drive, then I went to manual install in the dsm (which has some new UI layouts) and it says invalid file format and will not install. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and God bless. Paul
Am running same DSM
invalid file format suggests a problem with the download.
How are you downloading? is it actually downloading?

jasonic8

Post by jasonic8 »

Where did the link to the Manager webpage go - it's no longer showing in the package centre.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

jasonic8 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:59 pm Where did the link to the Manager webpage go - it's no longer showing in the package centre.
Should still be there..
I haven't applied latest DSM update on my system yet though.
Will do this evening and see if that is causing any issues.

KenMa

Post by KenMa »

Hey demonrik, really appreciate this SPK and your continued support of it. I've run into something a bit strange... it seems that the Synology is keeping a resource lock on the channels after it has complete recording. I have to stop and start the Recording Engine on the Synology to free them up. Any ideas?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

KenMa wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 am Hey demonrik, really appreciate this SPK and your continued support of it. I've run into something a bit strange... it seems that the Synology is keeping a resource lock on the channels after it has complete recording. I have to stop and start the Recording Engine on the Synology to free them up. Any ideas?
No idea - generally if you don't have padding, continue watching the live stream, or have a follow on recording on that channel it should just drop it within 30s. Make sure none of those is happening.
Otherwise - would be better to open an SD ticket on it.