NAS for HDHR, PLEX and EMBY

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
rrussis82

NAS for HDHR, PLEX and EMBY

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm looking into possibly getting a NAS. I started off using the Nvidia shield as my recording engine. I decided to get a PLEX Lifetime PASS for my current movie library and thinking I could watch live TV through my 2016 Samsung TV and moved my HD recording engine onto a Windows 7 laptop with a 2 TB internal hard drive and a 4 TB external hard drive which also acts as my PLEX server. I was not happy with the PLEX APP on my Samsung TV and got a year subscription to EMBY. Now that laptop is running EMBY Server, PLEX server, and HDHR engine. It currently serves it's purpose as I use PLEX to record movies because it removes commercials, EMBY for live TV on my Samsung TV, and HDHR to record TV shows (I don't mind FF commercials on TV Shows) and view TV on my Shield, Mi Box, and FireTVs.

I want a NAS that can serve as all 3. Most of my devices do not require transcoding, so I wont need to transcode more than 1 or 2 stream at a time if any. I've looked at a 2 drive Synology DS218+ and a WD PR2100. Both appear to do what I need, just looking for some other input, pros/cons of each to help me decide. I'd love a more powerful 4 bay but that is not in the budget for me.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Re: NAS for HDHR, PLEX and EMBY

Postby clarkss12 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Why not purchase an inexpensive NAS, and use one of the more powerful micro-PCs for your multi servers. Best of both worlds and less expensive.

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm looking into possibly getting a NAS. I started off using the Nvidia shield as my recording engine. I decided to get a PLEX Lifetime PASS for my current movie library and thinking I could watch live TV through my 2016 Samsung TV and moved my HD recording engine onto a Windows 7 laptop with a 2 TB internal hard drive and a 4 TB external hard drive which also acts as my PLEX server. I was not happy with the PLEX APP on my Samsung TV and got a year subscription to EMBY. Now that laptop is running EMBY Server, PLEX server, and HDHR engine. It currently serves it's purpose as I use PLEX to record movies because it removes commercials, EMBY for live TV on my Samsung TV, and HDHR to record TV shows (I don't mind FF commercials on TV Shows) and view TV on my Shield, Mi Box, and FireTVs.

I want a NAS that can serve as all 3. Most of my devices do not require transcoding, so I wont need to transcode more than 1 or 2 stream at a time if any. I've looked at a 2 drive Synology DS218+ and a WD PR2100. Both appear to do what I need, just looking for some other input, pros/cons of each to help me decide. I'd love a more powerful 4 bay but that is not in the budget for me.
Most ARM or Intel based NAS will advertise a transcode capability, but what they mean is that transcoding is provided with their applications so you'll need to check carefully if Plex/Emby will support any transcode on your NAS choice.

As to choosing - for those 3 apps pretty much any NAS is going to work out pretty well. Just need to check the CPU type and memory - both above are great choices, as would be a QNAP or Asustor (just got one of these, so researching packages for it ;)) NAS - probably even more.

IMHO, for a 2 bay NAS and considering it's for those apps -> Just get best bang for buck unless you need more advanced features of other NASes.

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 am

I run Plex Media Server on my Shield, with extra storage via a 1TB USB 3.0 HD (as adopted storage) and an external NAS. Works well, using a HD HomeRun Connect Duo as the tuner, recording via Plex DVR.

Note that Plex have a new app in Beta for Samsung TV's running Tizen 3.0 - it's a big step up from the stock Plex app, and includes the ability to set recordings (though not - yet - via a grid EPG). It's not yet 100% perfect (it's still in Beta after all) but might change your mind as to the best direction for your setup.

I'm definitely going that way - the Shield doesn't yet have all the streaming apps I want (but the Samsung TV does) and the Shield still has some refresh rate and colour space switching issues that aren't an issue on the TV. Once the new Plex app is finished, my Samsung TV will be the perfect player platform for me.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:52 am

Why not purchase an inexpensive NAS, and use one of the more powerful micro-PCs for your multi servers. Best of both worlds and less expensive.
That would work, but I am also looking for one headless, set it and forget it device.
I run Plex Media Server on my Shield, with extra storage via a 1TB USB 3.0 HD (as adopted storage) and an external NAS. Works well, using a HD HomeRun Connect Duo as the tuner, recording via Plex DVR.

Note that Plex have a new app in Beta for Samsung TV's running Tizen 3.0 - it's a big step up from the stock Plex app, and includes the ability to set recordings (though not - yet - via a grid EPG). It's not yet 100% perfect (it's still in Beta after all) but might change your mind as to the best direction for your setup.

I'm definitely going that way - the Shield doesn't yet have all the streaming apps I want (but the Samsung TV does) and the Shield still has some refresh rate and colour space switching issues that aren't an issue on the TV. Once the new Plex app is finished, my Samsung TV will be the perfect player platform for me.
I looked into using my Shield as the Plex server, but after reading many issues with that and using as a client, and the Shields Shared Connection dropping from other devices etc. I used to love tinkering with these little things, but as I get older with more responsibilities, the time to do that is getting less and less. I just want to set something up, it works, and forget it.

As for Samsung, they make great hardware in my opinion, but like you said the new beta Plex app is on Tizen 3.0. Samsung has a habit of ignoring all devices that are not this years model, so when Tizen is updated to a new version it only goes to the newest model and anyone who bought into last years do not get the support. My TV is a 2016, I doubt i will ever see another update with it.

I use mostly HDHR App as I do not mind the GUI and like the reliability of the DVR. Plex is for my movie database, and I set it to record movies off of TV and remove the commercials, although Plex hasn't been very reliable for me. Emby is just to watch Live TV on the Samsung, nice guide.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am

I use a dell t20 which they no longer make, However there is a updated version (t30) which should do fine. Amazon has a deal on it now (https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Dell-Powe ... s=dell+t30). It actually has 6 bays. (4 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5"). It has a xeon processor and far out preforms any nas in its price range. It is very reliable. My t20s have been up and running for years without issue.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:20 pm

I use a dell t20 which they no longer make, However there is a updated version (t30) which should do fine. Amazon has a deal on it now (https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Dell-Powe ... s=dell+t30). It actually has 6 bays. (4 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5"). It has a xeon processor and far out preforms any nas in its price range. It is very reliable. My t20s have been up and running for years without issue.
What are you using for the Operating System? Will FreeNas work? Will it run headless for months without the need for human interaction? I want to avoid Windows because I don't want to babysit the machine with constant updates and reboots.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2 NAS' I referenced in the original post?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm

The WD PR2100 will do what you want I have the PR4100 which has the same CPU as the PR2100 and I run EMBY PLEX and the HDHR on it... it supports hardware transcoding of Emby and Plex... I forget it is there .. also you can attach USB drives to it and move recordings to them. I have 2 5TB usb3 drives attached to my NAS.

I am totally glad I went to a NAS it requires no maintenance at all … you can choose to be notified of firmware upgrades and upgrade at your convenience it also notifies you of imminent drive failures.. Have it down in the basement attached to a UPS.
Last edited by NYPlayer on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:12 pm

I actually have several of these. 1 pentium t20 for emby running ubuntu mate. 1 xeon t20 as a home server and hdhr dvr backend running windows 10. 1 pentium t30 running pfsense and 1 pentium t20 running ubuntu mate as a off site file server. Although I don't use it, freenas should run fine on it seeing as both freenas and pfsense are freebsd based. It will run for months with out any interaction just fine, just use a dummy plug. A few things to note, 1. I have had bad luck with nics on other systems in the past so I use a pcie nic in all of my systems. 2. on my emby system and my home server, I use a pcie nvidia gpu although this probably is not necessary. 3. The t30 has 6 hdd/ssd bays but only 4 sata ports so if you want to use the other 2, you will need a pcie sata controller. I have never used those particular nas before but the dual core synology seems a little under powered and $600 for the 4 tb wd seems a little pricey. I hope this helps.

dgeezer

Postby dgeezer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 am

I run emby, plex, Channels DVR and several other apps as dockers on an Unraid system.
My hardware is a repurposed 5 or 6 year old core I3 windows desktop. I have installed 2 6tb drives plus a 250gb ssd as a cache drive.
Unraid runs headless with all admin functions available through a web interface. It has a library of docker plugins for a wide array of applications. In my environment it has performed very well. It can transcode 2 streams easily and it runs comskip on a 1 hour show in less than 10 minutes. The system is very easy to expand allowing you to use different sized disks as part of the array. It's been extremely stable. The only time it has ever been down is during the occasional power outage. My next addition to my server is a decent UPS.

It's a nice way to repurpose old hardware rather than just pitching it in the trash. My server draws about 25 to 30 watts, which is a little higher than some of the newer nas boxes, but it's hard to find a nas with a decent cpu without spending about $500.00.

LBKirk

Postby LBKirk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am

Stay away from manufactured NAS's if you are trying to save money. I have synology DS1618+ and it can barely do a 1080p transcode. Qnap has more high end NAS that could run all those things but you're going to drop 2k on just the nas. I just helped a friend build a cheap nas setup using freenas using a refurbished desktop with an Intel I7 with 16GB's of ram for a little more than $300 off of amazon and added a disk shelve to it with some large drives. Even though I have a synology I still use a desktop to run plex on windows with a mapped drive to my synology. It's the best bang for your buck. Cheap NAS's processors cant compete with a higher end intel processor. Just check the CPU benchmark for whatever desktop you are looking at. For every 2000 you get out of the benchmark you get 1 - 1080p transcode so if you want 4K possibilities I would look for something around 10000 which isnt hard to find for pretty cheap. Always check the processor on www.cpubenchmark.net for their score. It's amazing how some i5's blow away i7's

Return to “Third Party Software”