(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

mxlance

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by mxlance »

Same here. Kodi crashes when using the PVR client integrated kodi tv interface to watch the premium channels. OTA channels are fine. It is also fine if use HDHomeRun view addon to watch the premium channels.

gilbo125

Post by gilbo125 »

mxlance wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:04 am
Same here. Kodi crashes when using the PVR client integrated kodi tv interface to watch the premium channels. OTA channels are fine. It is also fine if use HDHomeRun view addon to watch the premium channels.
I'm getting this too... Not sure when it stopped working but it was working fine initially.

ringerlin

Post by ringerlin »

For me, it started last Friday (Sep. 7). It was fine before that day.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

I went back to version 1.3.1 on my Win7 PC and the Premium TV channels seem to play OK. I then tried 1.3.1 on one of my Raspberry Pis but it still crashes.

jpc67

Post by jpc67 »

Good morning Michael, it's been a week since HDHomerun updated their platform. We still can't recieve any premium channels on linux based clients--only windows! Are you pulling the plug on this addon? What's the status? If so, you have a whole community out here which will probably search for other options! Not an ingrate--thanks for your hard work on this over the years! JP

ddejager

WiFi Dropouts and Kodi Crashes

Post by ddejager »

For the past few weeks I've been trying to diagnose a problem on a Firestick where exactly every 3 hours Kodi with the DVR would freeze up and not come back until I exited Kodi waited a minute or so and then restarted it....it would then run fine for another 3 hours exactly from where it froze up.

Turns out the problem seems to be two fold: 1) When a DHCP lease expires on the firestick (my lease time was set to 3 hours), the firestick drops the WiFi connection and then reestablishes it one second later. [Aside: this seems stupid. Can't firestick just renew the lease and if it is the same IP address, leave the WiFi up and running?] This obviously interrupts the video stream to Kodi. 2) When Kodi gets the video stream interrupted, it freezes, it does not recover until I exit Kodi and restart it.

I lengthened my DHCP lease to 7 days and the problem went away (well, until the 7 days comes around).

I make the following additional observation: If I use the HDHomeRun app on the same firestick when the lease expires and the Firestick drops and reestablished the connection, the HDHomeRun app keeps going...that is, the video stops for 2 seconds, but then resumes where it was.

Now my question: is there any way to cause Kodi/PVR to recover gracefully like HDHomeRun does?

ddejager

Premium Channels Crash

Post by ddejager »

Regarding premium channels: I also observe the OSMC on a Raspberry Pi now crashes moments after a premium channel starts to play. This did not happen previously. I do not pay for the premium channels, but I used to be able to watch 2 minutes of them. Interestingly, after KODI restarts if I return to a premium channel I do successfully play the advertisement (that comes up after the 2 minute timeout) for the premium channels with no crash. The same problem occurs on a firestick with Kodi and the PVR installed.

On either platform, however, the HDHomeRun add-on (or the app on the firestick) plays the premium channels successfully.

Is this due to some new type of DRM that SiliconDust has implemented?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

jpc67 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 am
Good morning Michael, it's been a week since HDHomerun updated their platform. We still can't recieve any premium channels on linux based clients--only windows! Are you pulling the plug on this addon? What's the status? If so, you have a whole community out here which will probably search for other options! Not an ingrate--thanks for your hard work on this over the years! JP
I was on travel for a while, nothing to fear :D I'm enabling a couple demo channels on my device and will see if this is something with the PVR or with Kodi. Hang tight.

It's difficult for me to debug Kodi on platforms outside of Windows, but I will see what I can find out for you. The PVR is more of a dumb conduit between Kodi and the stream(s), it's unlikely it would be at fault for problems like you guys are experiencing but will try to get you a root cause ASAP.

edit: Quick check on Windows (I know, the problem isn't on Windows) and I see a momentary glitch/black frame a couple seconds into each channel. This seems to corroborate the reports as far as how long the stream lasts. More as I have it.
Last edited by djp952 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Re: WiFi Dropouts and Kodi Crashes

Post by djp952 »

ddejager wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:49 pm
Now my question: is there any way to cause Kodi/PVR to recover gracefully like HDHomeRun does?
Recovering from a lost stream is something that could be done, certainly, I just never did it (yet). The trick is detecting the event, deciding if it's recoverable or not, and starting it again before Kodi decides too much time has passed and kills the stream on us.

I'll add it as an issue on the GitHub to look into, I do have a simple recovery in place for failed seek operations but not failed read operations.

edit: Remembered another potential gotcha here, listed it in the issue: "The trick here may be figuring out if the stream ended or if it was interrupted. A live stream that switched to recorded but was never seeked will still appear to be live to the PVR." My concern here is that if I don't know how long the stream is I don't know if it's live or recorded. The RECORD engine can switch a stream from live to recorded, but if you don't execute a seek operation the PVR won't know that.

Come to think of it, that may actually be a rather simple solution -- if the stream dies, try to seek to the last known position and not worry about live/recorded. If it's recorded it will let me know it's over.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I wouldn't spend too much time on the linux/firetv issues before tomorrow as a "fix" is rolling out tonight that covers issues on quicktime and plex and such may be related. Of course it might not be but for some reason I thought these issues for them started around the same time as the issues on plex.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

signcarver wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 pm
I wouldn't spend too much time on the linux/firetv issues before tomorrow as a "fix" is rolling out tonight that covers issues on quicktime and plex and such may be related. Of course it might not be but for some reason I thought these issues for them started around the same time as the issues on plex.
Thanks signcarver! Fantastic timing as always my friend, I appreciate it!!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

While I get settled back in (temporarily, I'm headed to Texas in a few weeks), I did throw out a couple rebuilds. One for Jarvis and one for Leia. No code changes were made for these, they are platform/dependency updates only:

Jarvis v1.3.3a
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... vis-1.3.3a
  • (Android) Target the proper Android API for Jarvis - API 17 (Jelly Bean)
An issue was opened on GitHub indicating that the Jarvis Android APK build wasn't working on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). The problem was that I was targeting the Krypton/Leia Android platform (Lollipop - API21). Jarvis v1.3.3a corrects this, and the APK should be installable on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (API17) now, as it should have been all along.

Leia v1.3.3a
https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... eia-1.3.3a
  • Update Android APK builds to Leia Beta 2
  • Update Universal Windows Platform APPX builds to revision d9368de2
This was just a rebuild against the Android APK files for Leia "Beta 2" and a rebuild of the UWP APPX to bring them forward to the latest nightlies. From this point forward I anticipate only using the formal Beta/Release builds of Leia for the Android APKs. Once Team Kodi releases formal UWP builds I will switch those too, but for now they are still just the most recent nightly available at the time of the build.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Premium TV channels are working again now. :)

mxlance

Post by mxlance »

same here!
Premium TV channels are working again now. :) on all my linux/LibreElec boxes.
Thank You.

jpc67

Post by jpc67 »

Good Morning again Michael, glad to see you're back! Been a big fan of your work for over 3 years--ever since I believe his name was Larry posted that YouTube video game changer that wasn't even related to this project. As the other 2 posters stated everything is back up and running!! I guess with HDHomeRun's and Kod's rollout we were bound to have issues. My household has trimmed the cord with HDHomeRun's hardware and combination of their software and especially yours we are very happy. As always thank you for all your hard work--Your app is the best!!!