Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
jasonic8

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by jasonic8 »

I've not deleted them and neither has another process (as you can tell by the number).

The episode information isn't shown in the recorded files title for the many channels on which the show is broadcast. In 2016 it looked like there was a pattern - only showing episode details for the HD Channel 4 - but since then I've seen episode information on the SD and catchup channels. In 2017 I removed this show purely due to the volume of recordings it was getting and the lack of ability to control it.

Also - it seems your "New" flag from the service provider is of limited use. What a user needs, is for the system to know if it's new for them - not the network. Therefore a recording agent that understands what you have and what you're missing for a series and also of what quality would be what I'm looking for. If I discover a series during reruns, long after the season was first broadcast - I'd still want the recording agent to know what was new for me based on the season episodes I have and don't have recorded. It's a simple and more powerful design and foolproof (if you can get the guide information). Couple that with an understanding of what is SD and HD and you'd be onto a winner (finally).

Sorry for going slightly off topic for this thread - I'll stop here.

Update: I thought I'd look at the episodes of TBBT and clear them out. Most are Formula One or something else - such was the state of the guide in the UK back in 2016.

Another update: Since reenabling the recording of TBBT, I see it does seem to selectively backfill. What's misleading is that all episodes are tagged with a red circle under Tasks, not just those it will record. So all that's missing is replacing SD with HD broadcasts when then arise.

321liftoff

Post by 321liftoff »

demonrik wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:07 pm
After doing this I was successfully able to write files as the http user in the folder.
Unfortunately, my research didn't find a way for me to automate this.. So for now you have to manually do above. But once you do it once then it's good forever :)

FWIW - I did check and you can add an existing folder (e.g. HDHomeRunDVR) as a share. Just select create, set the name to the same - ensure the restrict access to administrators only is not selected.. and it adds the share.. but you can still manage permissions perfectly yourself.
Thanks for your work on this. Unfortunately, I returned my Synology DS918+ in exchange for a QNAP TS-453Be after I found out the DS918+ bottlenecks the M.2 SSDs to PCIe 2.0 x 1 and users cannot configure them as volumes, only cache.

All that to say, that back on the Qnap I was able to immediately set my recording directory to a folder within a shared folder, which was nice to see.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimodReynolds

Post by TimodReynolds »

demonrik wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE
- update to the 20180817 engine

new SPK HDHomeRunDVR-0.4.2-20180817.spk available in the usual locations Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive

Code is available on github
https://github.com/Silicondust/dvr_install

Known Issues
- diagnostics.sh not updated for new api url
- recordpath for existing in conf file doesn't get adjusted for chmod/chown to http
Thanks man much appreciated getting this out for us.

I have an issue, i'm not sure if its yours or the issue is with HDHomerun's new streaming service. But if i cancel a recording in progress it wont stop acting like its recording. The tuner will be in use until i stop the record engine and start it again.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

TimodReynolds wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm I have an issue, i'm not sure if its yours or the issue is with HDHomerun's new streaming service. But if i cancel a recording in progress it wont stop acting like its recording. The tuner will be in use until i stop the record engine and start it again.
That is normal behavior of the DVR, nothing to do with this package

hdhrfan98

Post by hdhrfan98 »

If I'm running the a version of the DVR engine from 2017, should I upgrade? And if I do, would I lose my settings or anything?

Version:0.3-20171118
Record Engine Version: 20171118beta1

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

hdhrfan98 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 pm If I'm running the a version of the DVR engine from 2017, should I upgrade? And if I do, would I lose my settings or anything?

Version:0.3-20171118
Record Engine Version: 20171118beta1
Definitely should upgrade!

Coming from so old the biggest issue you are likely to have is permissions.
If you used the default RecordPath the SPK created it's a little easier and can be simply fixed by SSHing to the box and changing the file owner of all the recordings with

Code: Select all

chown -R http /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR/* 
If you are using a shared folder to host the Recordings things are a little more complicated and we've been trying to work out a method that universally works.
All have reported that using the default SPK folder and moving the recordings and fixing the permissions works.
However that breaks the ability to 'share' the recordings to another device on your network. And how well we can get that working depends on many factors.

Where you have a share already and just want the SPK to work - then please follow the mitigation posted here viewtopic.php?p=309570&sid=53ac7fa0c717 ... df#p309570 under "Error running the engine with a previously created shared folder"
Some have reported issues with that method, thus am still trying to find a universal method that works for everyone.

Failing above - am working on another method, but needs testing before I communicate to everyone. Let me know if you want to try it. Requires ability to SSH to NAS, but I'll provide all the command lines to run :)

hdhrfan98

Post by hdhrfan98 »

Okay my location for the recordings is in /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR/. I ran the command to fix the permissions

But in terms of upgrading the recording engine, do I uninstall the old version first and then reinstall? Will I keep my recordings and also scheduled tasks?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

hdhrfan98 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 am Okay my location for the recordings is in /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR/. I ran the command to fix the permissions

But in terms of upgrading the recording engine, do I uninstall the old version first and then reinstall? Will I keep my recordings and also scheduled tasks?
Just do an install - it will update automagically and keep everything..
My SPK never deletes the recording files.. and your tasks are all stored by SD in the cloud.

hdhrfan98

Post by hdhrfan98 »

I stopped the engine and manually installed the SPK over the previous version using the Synology web interface. Everything is working fine. Thanks

andcbii

Post by andcbii »

Is this available in the synology package center yet?

dochockey

Post by dochockey »

Thanks for building this. I installed it and it works. I have read the previous posts and am confused on how to make the folder where the RecordPath is into a shared folder. After initial setup, I can't find the folder (except in the Package Center app). If I change the path in Package Center, it says that the recording path is invalid. I want to move the files and remove commercials etc, but since I can't see the recordings in any search, this is impossible for me. Ideas?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

andcbii wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:28 am Is this available in the synology package center yet?
No.
AFAIK I can't request it to be pushed there - that would have to be SD.
dochockey wrote: Thanks for building this. I installed it and it works. I have read the previous posts and am confused on how to make the folder where the RecordPath is into a shared folder. After initial setup, I can't find the folder (except in the Package Center app). If I change the path in Package Center, it says that the recording path is invalid. I want to move the files and remove commercials etc, but since I can't see the recordings in any search, this is impossible for me. Ideas?
I have a theory on how to get it working.
Let me know directly via PM if you want to try it - you will need to be able to SSH to the NAS, but I do provide all the command lines.
If I get enough attempts working I can post the workaround, or possibly automate it.

dochockey

Post by dochockey »

Sure. How do I PM you? I clicked on your name, but "contact" is ghosted out.